Pull leafs from an Alcan pack - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Suspension
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Jeffbro

Default Pull leafs from an Alcan pack

Hey so I bought an alcan leaf pack about 6 months ago and was expecting it to settle out alot more than it actually has. With a load of about 700lbs the truck will sit level but I don't have 700lbs in the back of my truck most of the time. Would it be bad for the leaf pack to pull a few leafs out so it will settle a little more. Also should I pull the smaller ones or take one from the top and one from the bottom? anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
02tacotoy

I did this with my all-pro 5" leaf pack. remove the second to smallest one, and see if you like it. you dont really want to mess with the longer leafs and avoid the mini leaf that mounts the pack on the axle.

2004 double cab tundra
limited4x4
02tacotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
devinsixtyseven
Veteran Member

I had my Alcans built for 500# and it took a while for them to settle in.

Put the 700# load in there, and leave it in for a few weeks...sandbags, water, gym weights, whatever. Once I did that with mine (actually it was a 1200 mile road trip with 1000# in the bed plus tongue weight of the trailer), they were pretty good. For the first few months after I got them and before I broke them in they were stupid stiff.

Load it up, forget about it for a while, go cycle the suspension in the dirt, they're not gonna sag much, but they will break in if that makes any sense.

If you have a 1st-gen Taco you should be able to run GVW 6500# with about a 50/50 weight distro, offroad, without breaking anything (unless you trade skinny pedal for skill). Go do that a few runs, they'll feel better!
devinsixtyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
joel
Veteran Member

I contacted Alcan a while back about this exact situation and I was told to remove the leaf right after the one with the binders... I did and it seems to work real well so far... I have been flexing and dumping them HARD for the last few weekends without any negative results.

Later
Joel
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
Signalprick

HMMM? I have had the Alcan 5 leaf pack w/ overload made for Wheelers in for about 4 months now and they have already "settled" nearly 3/4" lower than the front which has OME 881's. I was thinking about calling Alcan and getting a AAL made to bring the rear up another 1" but maybe one of you guys could/would sell me the leaves you take out of your pack? PM me if anyone is interested?

MEMBER BRS LOCAL 20
FORMER SGT INFANTRY MARINE
Signalprick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
JJackson
Veteran Member

I was wondering the same thing, had Alcan make me a spring pack that was rated 200lbs over stock for carting the quad around without sag. The are certainly stiff (just put them on last week) we toyed around with the idea of pulling one of the leaves (think my pack has 8 or 9). I did load the quad in and going to keep it there this week to see if they soften up a bit first.