what was I thinking - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > By State > Colorado > New Members Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
1asyotr

Cool what was I thinking

Hey all. It's official, I've lost my mind . I recently bought a generally stock 1st Gen 4runner to go hit the trails with and seem to have been drawn into the world of 4x4 modification. I've got a 3rd gen I was gonna work on but just couldn't bring myself to do any really hard core wheeling with it--plus I like that I can take the top off my 1st gen and make the jeep guys jealous . For what it's worth I'm a desk jockey by trade and have a family that takes up alot of my time so any mods much beyond a 2 and 1/2 bannana scale are probably gonna get farmed out. Mods I've got in mind include a slight body and suspension lift to mount some 33"s. Rock sliders, bumpers, tire carrier, rear shoulder belts, elocker. By the way SYOTR stands for see you on the river--I'm an avid whitewater kayaker, but maybe I'll have to change it to syott after I've got this build out done.
1asyotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
colorado125
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to colorado125

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1asyotr View Post
Hey all. It's official, I've lost my mind . I recently bought a generally stock 1st Gen 4runner to go hit the trails with and seem to have been drawn into the world of 4x4 modification. I've got a 3rd gen I was gonna work on but just couldn't bring myself to do any really hard core wheeling with it--plus I like that I can take the top off my 1st gen and make the jeep guys jealous . For what it's worth I'm a desk jockey by trade and have a family that takes up alot of my time so any mods much beyond a 2 and 1/2 bannana scale are probably gonna get farmed out. Mods I've got in mind include a slight body and suspension lift to mount some 33"s. Rock sliders, bumpers, tire carrier, rear shoulder belts, elocker. By the way SYOTR stands for see you on the river--I'm an avid whitewater kayaker, but maybe I'll have to change it to syott after I've got this build out done.
Welcome and sounds like a nice project.
2002 Dcab, 33" Toyo Open Country AT's on FJ80 rims, full OME suspension, 1" body lift, TRD Exhaust, SC, and Trans cooler, ARB Bullbar, SleeOffroad sliders, future is gears, front locker and cbi Fab rear bumper
colorado125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
mrdoug
Veteran Member

My Rig: 3.4 swapped 85 xcab

Welcome. You've come to the right place. Lot's of folks here that can help fill in those banana scales. Make sure you check out the HOW's (House of Wrenching). You'll come to find out most mod's are simple once somebody explains how easy they really are.

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
mrdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
ike
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1999 tacoma

Welcome to TTORA. hope to see you on the trails soon.

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
RedRunnertc
Veteran Member

Welcome!

Become familiar with www.4crawler.com and www.yotatech.com for 1st gen 'runner info.

You can fit 33's with NO lift BTW ... 33x10.50 on the stock rims

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'96 Impala SS - my own personal cop car

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
RedRunnertc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
mgoose82
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mgoose82

welcome. and yes the HOWs are definately the place to get some help and just to hang out and meet everyone.

2001 ext cab taco
custom front bumper w/ reciever, double tube rear bumper, nerf bars turned into sliders, double tube roll bar, american racing wheels (prototypes), 285/75r Pro comp X-Terrains, 3" body lift, custom 5" rear lift, custom skids

to do: front spacers for this summer, collect parts for SAS
mgoose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
1asyotr

Thanks for the note about 4crawler.com unfortunately I can't access yotatech from work. Good to know I can mount 33's without the lift since I need new tires and the only thing really holding me back so far is that I don't want to have to buy tires twice. I'm pretty sure it'll be an absolute dog with the stock gears and the 4banger trying to turn those meats....guess some 4:88s are in the near future.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
Lysmachia
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia

Wow. you can't access YT from work? Wow. Cottora is Rated R. YT is PG! LOL Crazy....

Oh and welcome BTW!

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
Lysmachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
Volcom
Veteran Member

Nice, another 1st Gen 4Runner Welcome!
Volcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Lysmachia
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia

I can't belive this!

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
Old 06-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Lysmachia
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Just
reset my shizzy....

Quote:
Old 06-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #12
fondigley
Veteran Member

Welcome to the club. Nice call on the 1st gen runner.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
hurley842002

Send a message via MSN to hurley842002 Send a message via Yahoo to hurley842002

Any pics of it?
hurley842002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #14
Avsfreak1234
Veteran Member

My Rig: 98 Taco, 35s n Stuff

your lucky, you already have an 8" rear to put that elocker in. I had to buy a whole new axle. I still have to put that thing in.....

oh, welcome to the club!
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...
Avsfreak1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
Taco_Man
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Taco_Man Send a message via Skype™ to Taco_Man

Welcome, I so want to get a 1st gen. Well how to see you at the HOW's and on the trails...

To-Do
All-pro Plate Bumper, Custom Rear Plate Bumper, Custom Tire Rack ( must use bed rails ), Mount CO2, Repair Rock Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
If you use them for lift, and wheel hard, you will crap steering parts like your truck ate a tierod/idler arm combo burrito at Casa Bonita.
Taco_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #16
blackmamba

Send a message via Skype™ to blackmamba

welcome! I just started posting as well and these guys know their shit. A good bunch if I ever saw one. great choice on the first gen, I'd trade my 83 sr5 even!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
1asyotr

I appreciate the offer on the sr5 but I think I'm committed to my runner. I just bought/ordered a 1.5" body lift from 4crawler for it so as soon as it shows up I'll be looking for the next available HOW. I'll take pics before I really start the project in ernest. So far the only thing I've done is luck out and find a guy in boulder that was willing to make a soft top for it. (It's gotta be the best part of the truck so far).

As far as no access to yotatech what can I say, my boss must be paranoid.