H4 Headlight Issues?? Short Life Span? - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Interior/Electrical/Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 12-17-2004, 12:11 AM   #1
Beave

Lightbulb H4 Headlight Issues?? Short Life Span?

Hey all,

I got a '02 Double Cab and have had problems with aftermarket headlights not lasting very long. Maybe 5-6 months or so on average. These aftermarket lights range from super-cheap EBAY deals, to PIAA's bought from the dealership. Even the parts guy at my Toyota dealer acknowledges that this has been an issue.

The last set of lights I bought are under warranty and I can take them back for a free replacement whenever they may burn out, but I would like to solve this problem anyway; Free lights or not.

Has anyone else had this experience?? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks,

Beave

PAST:
'97 Black Ext Cab SR5, 4-Bangin' 5-Speed, 3" Spacer Lift, 32" BFG MT's, ARB Bull Bar, Warn 8000lb Winch, 4 KCs up front, AJ's Rock Sliders, AJ's Rear Bumper w/ Backup Lights, Custom CB Radio/MP3 Setup, Autometer Oil/Volt/Boost Gauges on Dash.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/climbercraig66/sets/
Beave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2004, 12:33 AM   #2
hytenor
Going John Galt

My Rig: '00 Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beave
Hey all,
Has anyone else had this experience?? Any ideas on how to fix it?
Thanks,
Beave
yea, get an aftermarket wiring harnes from nwor. (there's another, cheaper source but I can't find the link) Yunny??
bigger wires, better current flow and the bulbs last longer. There was a huge thread about this about a year and a half ago and the electricians chimed in and explained why...don't ask me...

2 1/2 years later the bulbs are still going strong.
hytenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 01:00 AM   #3
Beave

Hey thats some good news!! NWOR is about 1.5 hrs away from my home! Pretty cool little shop. I'll have to get up there sometime soon and pick that up. Pretty easy install??

PAST:
'97 Black Ext Cab SR5, 4-Bangin' 5-Speed, 3" Spacer Lift, 32" BFG MT's, ARB Bull Bar, Warn 8000lb Winch, 4 KCs up front, AJ's Rock Sliders, AJ's Rear Bumper w/ Backup Lights, Custom CB Radio/MP3 Setup, Autometer Oil/Volt/Boost Gauges on Dash.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/climbercraig66/sets/
Beave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 01:31 AM   #4
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beave
Hey thats some good news!! NWOR is about 1.5 hrs away from my home! Pretty cool little shop. I'll have to get up there sometime soon and pick that up. Pretty easy install??
I usually don't suggest them (long, drawn out story) but this particular product has been great. Install is very easy, just plug and play. It is a bit pricy at $100 though. the extra juice that the fatter wires allow let the H-4s run hotter and brighter which, believe it or not, makes them last longer...go figure. An added bonus is that both filiments (hi and lo) burn when the hi-beams are on which I really like. I ran some 110/90 bulbs for about a year and never had any problem overheating the plastic lenses or anything. I went back to OE wattage bulbs cuz I had to aim the 90s down so far the usable light was not as good as OE bulb aimed correctly. I'll switch to some 100/55s or 100/60s one of these days however. I don't really need the brighter hi-beams any more with the cibies hooked into the hi-beam wire for instant daylight
Old 12-18-2004, 03:40 PM   #5
wslytoy
I just got laid... off.

Default wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor
(there's another, cheaper source but I can't find the link).
you wouldn't happen to have a link would you? LOL!!! Man, $100 is a lil bit rich for my blood, even though I do need them. I got a set of xenons off ebay for relatively cheap and those bitches burnt up quick like. Even though you don't know of the link now, if you find it, do let me know, if it's cheaper anyways. Otherwise I'll have to fork out the cash, b/c eventually the bulbs will add up and be way more than the harnesses! Thanx, Wes
1.5" spacer out back
265/75R17 Mickey Thompson ATZ's
Eagle Series 140 in 17x8

OLD:
05' TRD 4x4
96' Tacoma 2.7 Ext Cab 5spd w/ a mod or 2

85' 4Runner Build Up Thread
wslytoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslytoy
you wouldn't happen to have a link would you? LOL!!! Man, $100 is a lil bit rich for my blood, even though I do need them. I got a set of xenons off ebay for relatively cheap and those bitches burnt up quick like. Even though you don't know of the link now, if you find it, do let me know, if it's cheaper anyways. Otherwise I'll have to fork out the cash, b/c eventually the bulbs will add up and be way more than the harnesses! Thanx, Wes
Yunny has the other brand harness as well as the link. I can't seem to find it.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:44 PM   #7
justinsfa

mine usually last anywhere from 4 months to 1 yr, but they just differ. make sure to use an alchohol wipe that usually comes with them and wipe them down. The oil from your fingers is supposedly bad for the lights. I haven't figured out what the key to long life is, but the last 2 pair i have had have lasted over 8 months. Dealer says every vehicle application is like that.

Justin
Nac, TX
justinsfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 08:29 PM   #8
wslytoy
I just got laid... off.

Default Yunny!

Quote:
Yunny has the other brand harness as well as the link. I can't seem to find it.

Well I guess that butt-nutt needs to hook us up! Thanx man, I'll give him a PM. Peace, Wes
1.5" spacer out back
Eagle Series 140 in 17x8

OLD:
05' TRD 4x4

Old 12-19-2004, 09:32 AM   #9
JonnyOzero3

http://www.suvlights.com/

I picked my wiring harness up from these guys - seems to work well for $50 or so if I remember correctly. I saw a noticeable increase in light output...probably like 10% or so. Good enough for me.

Indirectly on topic: For bulbs I would highly recommend Philips Vision Plus or Osram Silverstars (NOT the same as U.S. version silverstars) from

www.powerbulbs.com

They are stock wattage (hence...LEGAL) but much whiter and brighter than stock. I've used stock bulbs, Hella 80/100s (burned my '99's light housings), Sylvania Silverstars, and the Philips Vision plus. The Philips get my vote because they are brighter by a ton than the Sylvania's, much whiter than stock, and not blue-ish like the Slyvanias, and won't melt my housings like the Hellas. However, I will try the Osram's next as they are supposed to be brighter by a hair.

About bulb life - I've had the Philips for about one year and a couple months now on the upgraded harness, and the low filament on one bulb just died. The 2nd bulb is fine, however. Over year isn't great, but its not bad I guess.

Last edited by JonnyOzero3; 12-19-2004 at 09:45 AM. Reason: bulb life thing
JonnyOzero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:10 PM   #10
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyOzero3

I picked my wiring harness up from these guys - seems to work well for $50 or so if I remember correctly. I saw a noticeable increase in light output...probably like 10% or so. Good enough for me.
that's the site I couldn't remember, thanks
Old 12-19-2004, 02:15 PM   #11
JonnyOzero3

no prob
Old 12-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #12
wisctaco04

Quote:
no prob
Yunny found this place so I can't take credit....
They ship in a day and arrive 2 days later. Super cheap.

Susquehanna Motorsports Rally lighs catalogue

Hi-Lift mounts for sale $30

Last edited by wisctaco04; 12-21-2004 at 07:35 AM. Reason: link bad
wisctaco04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:15 AM   #13
wslytoy
I just got laid... off.

Default Yunny is my HEROOOO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisctaco04

that Yunny is a hell of a guy when he's not being a smartass, hahaha!
1.5" spacer out back
Eagle Series 140 in 17x8

OLD:
05' TRD 4x4

Old 01-07-2005, 12:44 AM   #14
Yeti

Send a message via AIM to Yeti

Quote:

Indirectly on topic: For bulbs I would highly recommend Philips Vision Plus or Osram Silverstars (NOT the same as U.S. version silverstars) from

www.powerbulbs.com

They are stock wattage (hence...LEGAL) but much whiter and brighter than stock. I've used stock bulbs, Hella 80/100s (burned my '99's light housings), Sylvania Silverstars, and the Philips Vision plus. The Philips get my vote because they are brighter by a ton than the Sylvania's, much whiter than stock, and not blue-ish like the Slyvanias, and won't melt my housings like the Hellas. However, I will try the Osram's next as they are supposed to be brighter by a hair.

About bulb life - I've had the Philips for about one year and a couple months now on the upgraded harness, and the low filament on one bulb just died. The 2nd bulb is fine, however. Over year isn't great, but its not bad I guess.
Got those osrams yet?
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:41 AM   #15
JonnyOzero3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti
Got those osrams yet?
No, not yet. I've been living with a truck with a black eye...one stock and one philips for a bit now, lol. The new bulbs are a little low on the priority list, but I'll get them sooner or later. I'll make sure to revisit this thread when I do....

I'm sure there are other fellas on here who have used the Osram's...be nice if they could chime in....cough cough....
Old 01-07-2005, 08:38 AM   #16
TheChiefSinner

Quote:
bigger wires, better current flow and the bulbs last longer. There was a huge thread about this about a year and a half ago and the electricians chimed in and explained why...don't ask me...
I was just on the phone with Jen Liu from SUVlights.com, and he actually said that the opposite is true. Doesn't mean he is right, but just thought I'd mention that. I got the wiring harness, it was $65.00, and I also got a pair of Philips Vision Plus bulbs for another $36. He said these were the brightest legal bulbs, so I thought I'd give them a try. I don't drive a whole lot at night, so hopefully they last longer than 1 year. I don't care if they don't last too long though. Not like the end of the world if I have to buy some new bulbs. I did save the stock ones too just in case I need a spare.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:06 AM   #17
avc8130

Send a message via AIM to avc8130

I still have my stock bulbs after 4 years. I run with my lights on all the time! I think after this I will buy another set of stockers (unless they are ridiculously expensive). Any time I have used aftermarket bulbs they always burnt quickly.
Anthony
Old 01-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #18
bluetaco
Veteran Member

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/bulb_help.htm

read thru the link...good info on bulbs and such
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp
on the chart you can see the differences in lumens and life just in the Hella bulbs...

touching the bulb glass with bare skin will shorten the life of the bulb as well!
bluetaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:07 AM   #19
CuriousJ0N

from my own personal experience, the cheap bulbs off ebay don't last and neither do the piaa's. i'm currently running the philips vision plus bulbs and they've lasted what's going on 2 years now.
CuriousJ0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:52 PM   #20
Super Doody
Veteran Member

Sorry old post. My silverstar just burnt out. Which bulb do you have 100/55w? Can I run that with stock harness? How much brighter is it with the upgraded harness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisctaco04

2003 4x4 V6 TRD
SC with URD kit, Aquamist 2D, 2.2 Gen 2 Super Grip Pulley, Donahoe Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, Deaver Leaf Pack, Goodyear MTR 265/75/16, Alpine 9830, Sirius Sat. Alp1., Corbeau Legacy Seats,
Super Doody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:56 PM   #21
Super Doody
Veteran Member

Chris,

Which of these bulb is the brightest I can run with my stock harness?

http://catalog.com/susq/hella/bulbs.htm

I'll upgrade harnesses whenever suvlights is back web.

Thanks,

Jim

Quote:
I usually don't suggest them (long, drawn out story) but this particular product has been great. Install is very easy, just plug and play. It is a bit pricy at $100 though. the extra juice that the fatter wires allow let the H-4s run hotter and brighter which, believe it or not, makes them last longer...go figure. An added bonus is that both filiments (hi and lo) burn when the hi-beams are on which I really like. I ran some 110/90 bulbs for about a year and never had any problem overheating the plastic lenses or anything. I went back to OE wattage bulbs cuz I had to aim the 90s down so far the usable light was not as good as OE bulb aimed correctly. I'll switch to some 100/55s or 100/60s one of these days however. I don't really need the brighter hi-beams any more with the cibies hooked into the hi-beam wire for instant daylight

2003 4x4 V6 TRD
SC with URD kit, Aquamist 2D, 2.2 Gen 2 Super Grip Pulley, Donahoe Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, Deaver Leaf Pack, Goodyear MTR 265/75/16, Alpine 9830, Sirius Sat. Alp1., Corbeau Legacy Seats,
Old 01-31-2005, 11:39 PM   #22
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Doody
Chris,

Which of these bulb is the brightest I can run with my stock harness?

http://catalog.com/susq/hella/bulbs.htm

I'll upgrade harnesses whenever suvlights is back web.

Thanks,

Jim
I ran 90/110s for a while before I got the harness. I'm not sure if I could tell much of a difference in brightness with the new harness. The bulbs tend to last longer with it, however. I took out the 90s mainly because I had to keep them aimed down so far as to defeat the purpose of even having them. I get more usable light out of OE bulbs than I did the 90s. the thing about the nwor harness that I really like is how it runs both filiments (hi and low) simultainously when the h-beams are on With '01 and newer trucks your lens assembly has a much better cut-off of the light beam than the gen 2 trucks have. you might be able to more easily get away with brighter lo-beam bulbs and not have to aim them into the ground to keep from blinding people. you might try ordering some cheapies and experiment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
Old 02-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #23
Super Doody
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChiefSinner
I was just on the phone with Jen Liu from SUVlights.com, and he actually said that the opposite is true. Doesn't mean he is right, but just thought I'd mention that. I got the wiring harness, it was $65.00, and I also got a pair of Philips Vision Plus bulbs for another $36. He said these were the brightest legal bulbs, so I thought I'd give them a try. I don't drive a whole lot at night, so hopefully they last longer than 1 year. I don't care if they don't last too long though. Not like the end of the world if I have to buy some new bulbs. I did save the stock ones too just in case I need a spare.
what wattage bulbs did you get?

2003 4x4 V6 TRD
Old 02-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #24
Alaskan Assassin

I've had the Phillips Vision Plus and Osram Silverstars with wiring harness in my truck over the past few years. I'd have to give a slight nod to the Phillips bulbs for performance (though they're both very good). Like the other people on here, they lasted about a year.

I bought these bulbs from www.murphskits.com because they're fast and cheap. Click on the "Concours Merchandise Page". From Murphs, they cost about $30 a pair and arrive to my doorstep in about 3 days.

Last edited by Alaskan Assassin; 02-01-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Alaskan Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #25
Uneasy Rider

I always use a latex or rubber glove to install headlight bulbs. I think that the bulbs should be kept as "sterile" as possible to extend their lifespan. My Silverstars are a little over a year old now.

Uneasy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:42 AM   #26
pr0jectezek1el

Send a message via AIM to pr0jectezek1el

hey guys

i did a google search and typed in nwor and i got this web site

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/

is that the right website for the wire harness? bc i just order the philpis plus from powerbulb.com

thankls
pr0jectezek1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:43 PM   #27
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0jectezek1el
hey guys

i did a google search and typed in nwor and i got this web site

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/

is that the right website for the wire harness? bc i just order the philpis plus from powerbulb.com

thankls
I have that one...pricy but works very well.

nwor is not really customer friendly and their sales people are pretty clueless. They have some very good products but they customer service is seriously lacking.
Quote:
Old 02-03-2005, 11:11 PM   #28
Super Doody
Veteran Member

Yeah their sales staff is rude too and there is a 25$ minim on order. I tried to buy some grease which was like 20$. He wanted me to buy their catalog which is $5. Who the hell pays for catalog these days any ways.? He qouted me some like 30$ with shipping. I wasnt about to pay 30$ for grease.

Quote:
I have that one...pricy but works very well.

nwor is not really customer friendly and their sales people are pretty clueless. They have some very good products but they customer service is seriously lacking.

2003 4x4 V6 TRD
Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 AM   #29
pr0jectezek1el

Send a message via AIM to pr0jectezek1el

so is there anyother places to buy a new headlight harness..i tired looking for them on rallylights and got all confused...

thanks
pr0jectezek1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #30
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0jectezek1el
so is there anyother places to buy a new headlight harness..i tired looking for them on rallylights and got all confused...

thanks
Quote: