TTORA Forum banner

Double cab sub solutions?

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Anthony Sordi 
#1 ·
Hey curious to see if anyone else out there with a double cab has found a way to have at least a 10 inch sub in there truck with out removing the back seats. Behind the back bench is barely enough room for an amp not even close to enough for a sub. So any ideas? i was thinkin maybe a custom made box that would go in the middle behind the center console and take up the mid back passengers leg room on the little hump what you all think?

#3 ·
I have a single 10, behind the drivers side back seat. You have to find a sub that likes small enclosures and has a pretty shallow mounting depth, (I used an Image Dynamics IDQ 10, 5 1/4" mounting depth and will work in a .35 cu ft box. You also have to make a little more room, do this by moving the seatback bottom forward a little. Redrill the holes in the mounting brackets, I got about 3/4 to 1" by doing this, I have only done the drivers side so I dont know if its possible on the pass side, probably is though. I also made my box with a fiberglass back and bottom, this is important because of the depth issue, 6 to 7 layers of glass is about 1/4" thick, and it forms to the rib going across the back of the cab. This is a tough project, but mine came out pretty clean. The sound is really good inside the cab, it doesn't boom outside the truck tho, I'm not into the shaking the neighborhood thing... My box ended up with .55 cu ft of air space, sealed. Im thinking of trying to build a ported box, for that I need .75 cu ft plus, that is gonna be hard but ported boxes have quite a bit more output...

#5 ·
I have an infinity basslink in my dcab. it's only 200watt, but it's more than enough for me.

You can have a custom box made to fit two 6.5s, or two 8s behind the rear seat (you have to remove the plastic off the back of the seats to make room, or have a custom bax made to sit in the middle of the seat. the second one can have cup holders and junk like that...

#6 ·
#8 ·
I can't find the link but I know there was a guy who cut out the floor under the back seats and built custom boxes to fit in there, you probably aren't interested in gong that far, but it was interesting to see.

#11 ·
#13 ·
hmm 8 inch subs that could work anyone know of a good clear 8 inch sub? handel about 200 watts or so. I am going with mb quart q-lines in the doors 6 1/2 components in the front and am going to custom fit some 5 1/2 compinents in the back and feed them 100 watts each so i am going to need some decently subs to compete with these speakers. Gota love ebay haha get 1600 speakers for 700 to your door brand new I LOVE IT

#15 ·
I had a single JL 8WO in a custom box, the sound was very good, but one of them was not enough. 2 8s would probably be great, and JL W3s are very good subs, so that setup should sound great. I had not seen that box and was thinking of adding a second 8WO, but then I found my IDQ10 that is shallow enough for behind the back seat mounting. I needed to keep some storage, so a single 10 was the best for me.

#16 ·
Hmm ya should be good i am not much for a lot of base i listen to lots of rock but i do like some rap. But i dont really have a choice if i do not want to lose any leg space i guess with out really drastic measures like super size me. So the JL will have to get it done i suppose. Going to call and price some out right now ebay doesent have any :mad:

#17 ·
"But i dont really have a choice if i do not want to lose any leg space"

Anthony, the single 10 I'm running doesnt cost any legroom (except for the backseat passenger on the drivers side might have lost 3/4"). I have a 10 behind the backseat on the drivers side, in the space between the back of the cab and the back of the backseat. I wasnt sure I was clear on that before. Its completely hidden, I still have storage behind the backseat on the pass side and it sounds great. I don't mean to be repetitive, but I wasn't sure you understood me. Anyway, have fun shopping and researching, d-cab subs are a challenge for sure.

#18 ·
SuperSized said:
I was the one that did the speakers under the rear seat. I cut out the floor and did a drop box with 2 10's. Sounds pretty good. I'm working on a box with 2 12's now. Will preobably be in the bed though and through the back of the cab. Theres some pics at http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/supersized/subinstall/subinstall.htm
That is one sweet install. Props to you man.

yamataco said:
"But i dont really have a choice if i do not want to lose any leg space"

Anthony, the single 10 I'm running doesnt cost any legroom (except for the backseat passenger on the drivers side might have lost 3/4"). I have a 10 behind the backseat on the drivers side, in the space between the back of the cab and the back of the backseat. I wasnt sure I was clear on that before. Its completely hidden, I still have storage behind the backseat on the pass side and it sounds great. I don't mean to be repetitive, but I wasn't sure you understood me. Anyway, have fun shopping and researching, d-cab subs are a challenge for sure.
Is there any way you could get pictures?

#21 ·
ya man up a bit there is a site that will sell a custom box to fit back there and hold 2 8's. That could be cool but i cant find any 8's small enough with enough power. I have a 10 inch xenon maybe the middle rear passenger is gona lose there leg room haha i am still debating.

#24 ·
Well after much conflict and discussion with the local stereo crew we have finally come to a solution that works. Remove the center consolde and use that area for the subs are space and mount a 10inch sub facing the back of the cab. As long as the middle passenger doesent have crazy feet they wont kick it. Also install cup holders into the top of the sub box for handy drink storage... what would a truck be with out cup holders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.