62 Rear-Start to finish! - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Desert Tech > Desert Race Rig Builds
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
moneypit

Default 62 Rear-Start to finish!

Phase two of my first build, rear LT. Phase one was bolting up the total chaos kit to my 96 single cab 4X4 3.4l manual trans. I did the project 100% by myself so I have no one to blame.

6.5 inches stock

started by drilling out the spot welds

and mounted up the glassworks fiberglass

Extended the frame with pieces I cut off my buddies rolled truck and fit up the new rear bumper.

boxed the frame with 1/8" plate

tapered the frame into the bumper

welded up frame and bumper and smoothed out bumper for a clean look

welded in new and the old crossmember, and fitted up reinforcments for frame extention

front spring mounts and rear shackle hangers were tacked in. Both got moved during the corse of cycling the suspension

This is what I settled on. The front mount was 1/2 inch forward from stock. The front mount center to shackle pivot center distance was 54 3/8 inches.

boxed in pivots

I cut out my lower shock mounts with 4 1/2 grinder out of cold rolled 1/4 inch plate and a hole saw.

See what you can do with some patience!

Base frame completed and painted

Start of bedcage

Mocked up upper shock mounts

plate for bumpstops

New tire carrier

Sanded shiny and ready for paint

I cut the tack welds and started cuting up the bed. I welded in a rim to help support the weaked bed.

Got the bedcage welded on

Tires will clear even at full flex, metal to metal!

Rear proportioning valve-

Tucked between frame and fuel tank

exhaust had to be shortened and straightened

Rear is done rides great, cycles 17.25 inches full droop to hard bump. It could get 18 inches if hydro bumps were put in. It was a ton of hard work and a major learning experience fabricating this rear. Start to fininsh it was around 325 hrs( I work slow). I am already coming up with plans for a cage!
moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
yota4lyfe
Veteran Member

That's a nice setup. Good work.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
PinkTaco

Amazing work man!
PinkTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
Five1Nine8Eight

Great work. Looks like it came out of a reputable fab shop.

Did you say you cut everything out with a 4 1/2 grinder?
Five1Nine8Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:59 AM   #5
GatorTaco
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to GatorTaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five1Nine8Eight View Post
Great work. Looks like it came out of a reputable fab shop.

Did you say you cut everything out with a 4 1/2 grinder?
x2 on both of those! Clean cuts for a grinder! Big props to you for some great work.
GatorTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:16 AM   #6
marnes2986
Veteran Member

Im very impressed! i always admire those who do their own fabwork.. great work !
DMZ Fab and Race Prep
marnes2986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:45 AM   #7
brock
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to brock

i like the idea of using the stock spare holder... great idea.

| 2005 Tacoma | Total Chaos LT | Richer Racing 62s | BBR Bumpers |

brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
menacekustoms
Veteran Member

Amen brock. That's some excellent work. Nothing to nitpick here. Well thought out, sturdy and simple.
menacekustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
06HAOLE
Veteran Member

Great setup. Very clean.

A few probably very obvious questions.

How do you decide your shock angle when building a bedcage?

Is a rear proportioning valve needed due to an upgraded rear brake setup? (disc brakes?)
Nice DD w/BFG ATs
06HAOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
moneypit

I do have a 14" cutoff saw which I use to cut tubing at a more precise angle but I use my little 4" (not 4.5" my mistake) grinder for everything. When cutting thick plate for example you just score the metal following your line then you just keep going over it letting the wheel make the cut. if you force it you can't make a straight cut plus you will blow through blades. You really don't need $3000 in cutting tools just to build one truck.

My design was pretty simple, you may notice some similarities to the trails less traveled Tacoma. I felt that I would have to give up to many things to keep the bed open like for my dirt bike( I am just going to use a motor cycle carrier in my new receiver). I still wanted to be able to carry stuff like camping gear, have good wheel wells to keep from throwing around mud and dirt, keep the spare up high for clearance underneath but not take up the whole bed and keep center of gravity low. Another factor that I took into consideration when coming up with the design was recongizing that this truck won't always be a daily driver( no matter how much I want it to be). Whether I drive it 2 years or 10 eventually it will strickly become a toy so I didn't want to waste my time or money and came up with a design that is simple to strengthen and build off of.

As far as setting shock angle and mount placement I started with my lower mounts. You have to determine how low you feel comfortable placing them so as to minimize your loss of ground clearance. plus you want them as close to each wheel as possible. In order to find the best upper shock mount placement you have to cycle the suspension with only the main leaf. Actually, I probably cycled the truck 20 times in the coarse of the build. I took the leafs apart once I found my ride height and didn't put them back together untill the truck was done. But as far as the upper shock mounts I discovered that really all you are doing is drawing an arc of your upper shock eye when compressed and your rear is at full bump. Any where on that arc you can locate your uppermount. Now, anyplace tilted forward of vertical ( or backward) will allow for more droop or travel numbers higher than your shocks. So you could get 17.5 inches of travel with an 16 inch shock, more or less depending on how much angle you put on it. Many people would say that it is best to mount shock so you have a 1:1 ratio and of coarse you could mount a shock at such a sever angle that you could lose a ton of damping right when you need it most before you bottom out. I am using 18" triple bypass kings and mounted them forward on full compression so everything would cycle cleanly. The way my shocks are mounted they are capable of 19" of travel and I felt that was a very acceptable compromise. I can't use that travel now but if I got a little more arc in the leafs it would probably droop more and with hydro bumps I could use every bit of that 19".
Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
moneypit

The rear proportioning valve is needed because I removed the stock one. The linkage that conects the valve to the axle can't cycle 18". You could cut the linkage and keep the stock valve. I have seen people make it so you can manualy adjust the cut arm on the stock valve so you could adjust it. but a bigger problem on my truck was the size of the stock valve and with plating the frame it would be hard to keep it clear of the new shocks. The stock valve does work well in that there is no wasted pressure in the brake system. however, in my case it seemed easier to replace it.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
Five1Nine8Eight

Jeez you have some patience. I about quit while cutting out pieces for frame plating, motor mounts and gussets for front shock hoops.
Five1Nine8Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #13
menacekustoms
Veteran Member

Well, I'm glad you joined this board. Good practical info. This is definitely something with reach of the backyard fabricator.
menacekustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
VietNguyen82
Veteran Member

Great Job, clean work! I like your SN, it speaks truly for all of us .
JBA Headers
Magnaflow Exhaust

1999 Mini Taco, JD Extreme kit
Found a new home at Richer Racing http://richerracing.com/
VietNguyen82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #15
06HAOLE
Veteran Member

Thanks for the answers.
Nice DD w/BFG ATs
06HAOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
Chaos DMZ Tacoma

nice job. very clean and simple. props.

DMZFAB.com
sudproductions.com
chaosfab.com

DMZ Build Profile
http://www.dmzfab.com/Jake_2000_prerunner.html
Chaos DMZ Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #17
usaf_taco
Veteran Member

plate for bumpstops

i stole your idea for the bump stops when i installed mine this weekend, so i just wanted to give give you props. i realy like the look of a bed cage done with no bends, maybe i won't have to wait till i get my bender