Symtoms of a stuck brake-caliper - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Early Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
tercel89

Default Symtoms of a stuck brake-caliper

Give me your experience on stuck brake-calipers . I want to hear your personal experiences and the symtoms of a stuck brake caliper . I have a 2003 4WD Tacoma with a possible front caliper thats stuck .

Anti-seize grease is your friend

"We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye"
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Bear
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1997 Toyota Tacoma

what symptoms are you talking about? if the caliper gets stuck, it won't open properly and when applying the brakes, the truck pulls to that side.

Simple fix to a stuck caliper (if repairable) take caliper off of rotor, and pull caliper apart, spray liberal amounts of PB blaster in the caliper guides and work caliper back and forth until travel feels smooth.

Replace brake pads if necessary and re-install on truck.

Originally Posted by abbott
remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Jtotheaceyota
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1999 Tacoma

Just jack the front of the truck up and put the park break on since it’s in the front. Then spin the wheel and see if there is any resistance. If the wheel doesn’t spin freely then your brakes (or wheel bearings) are shot and you might need a need caliper and rotor (or bearings). You should be able to hear the rotor easily spinning and making soft contact with the caliper and break pads.
99 Tacoma 3.4L 4X4 TRD, All-Pro rear and custom front bumpers, HID lights, Sliders, reinforced/boxed frame, Full skids, Fiberglass front end, ICON coilovers & rear shocks, Camburg UCAs, TC Spindle & Coil gussets, All-Pro 3" leaf springs & ubolt flip, Energy 4.5" bumpstops, Brembo brakes with SS lines & proportioning valve, Magnaflow, Deck plate, In-cab snorkel, & Diff breather mod, Yellow Optima, Recaro, ScanGauge II, Viair, Sony, Hi-lift Xtreme, Recovery gear.
Jtotheaceyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
White Mountain Taco
Banned

Lightbulb

Also it's very simple to tell if you have a stuck caliper. Just pull the pads out and push the piston in. If it goes in fairly easily with some applied leverage it's not stuck.

Holy shit....I just realized I'm a fucking genius.
White Mountain Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
tercel89

I just out on new dics and pads and when I was all done, I went down the road and heard this swish swish and then occasionaly a hard grind when I apply the brakes . I know there s a little noise on new brakes at first , but this sounds abnormal . Its from my drivers side wheel . Also I didnt have this pronblem before . When I took off my old pads , they were worn even and nice . So if its sticking , then it just started .

Old 11-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
White Mountain Taco
Banned

Did you put the anti-rattle grease on the back of the pads?
White Mountain Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
sibanez

Send a message via AIM to sibanez

The caliper or rotor may not be set right . . . I did the brakes on my WRX recently and had to tear down one wheel since I didn't have the caliper on straight . . .

One good way to tell if your brake caliper is stuck is to feel your wheels after a short drive . . . if one is hot/warm to the touch it means your brake is sticking.
sibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
Derka
Veteran Member

Did you put the pads on the right way??

Pad w/ the squealer goes in the back if i remember correctly....hell i cant remember.

Pull the wheels off and check 'em.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
06indigoinktaco

have you ever installed brake pads before? If you have done it alot then just take it back apart and see whats wrong. did you make sure your shims are on?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
sfe

You'll have a pull when applying the brake. If the right side is sticking it will pull left, that is if its on the front.
sfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
tercel89

I've did brakes all mylife but I dont know whatthe deal is .
I'll tear em down and go thruogh it all again . I just hate it since its so cold here .
Also , whats the deal with the shims ? I havent changed pads on Toyota trucks before , just cars , like 80's and such , but I dont rememeber ever seeing this sheet-metal plate peices before on the back of pads .

Old 11-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #12
Scootn2nature
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2000 sr5

[/quote]Holy shit....I just realized I'm a fucking genius.[/quote]

Carrier pidgeons.............Um...Im a penguin

Good commercial when you remember the commercial..............even better when you remember the product .............I don't know.........but I laughed
Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 AM   #13
tercel89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka View Post
Did you put the pads on the right way??

Pad w/ the squealer goes in the back if i remember correctly....hell i cant remember.

Pull the wheels off and check 'em.

Anyone got any pics of the pad with the squeeler? For the life of me I cant remember if I seen a squeeler on the pads . I know there is usually one per side but to be honestly I didnt see any .

Old 11-24-2008, 06:00 AM   #14
tercel89

Guys I hate to ask this but doesn anyone have any good pics of a step by step prodedure on how to change 2003 4WD front bkrakes ? I am kinda embarresed to ask this but man I dont know what i did wrong . Its grinding pretty bad . I got Friday set aside to tear it apart and do it again . I am just wanting any help possible to help me between then and now .
I've worked on cars/trucks since I was 12 but this stumps me . It probabaly is something very simple .

Old 11-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #15
hunting-solo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel89 View Post
Guys I hate to ask this but doesn anyone have any good pics of a step by step prodedure on how to change 2003 4WD front bkrakes ? I am kinda embarresed to ask this but man I dont know what i did wrong . Its grinding pretty bad . I got Friday set aside to tear it apart and do it again . I am just wanting any help possible to help me between then and now .
I've worked on cars/trucks since I was 12 but this stumps me . It probabaly is something very simple .
i had a noise coming from the front driver side wheel as well. it was caused (from what i thought) was build up in the pads, caliper and etc.. i had grit stuck in there and all i did was pull the pads out and spray liberally brake cleaner on the caliper and pads. wipe dry and regrease and re-install and no more noise. it was driver side as well. you can hear it on cold days better than warm..

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runne...enance/brakes/
hunting-solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #16
tercel89

This was right after I intsalled new pads and new discs on it . Everything was clean unless something got in there.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #17
hunting-solo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel89 View Post
This was right after I intsalled new pads and new discs on it . Everything was clean unless something got in there.
just go back through what you have done and dbl check. reinstall if you have to.. what kind of pads and rotors? oem? i would take a fine grit sand paper and clean the pads back off. perhaps you had dirt in there i dont know.. i gave you a link to how to do the front brakes in my prior post. its wicked easy. also since they are new pads and rotors dont you have to break in the pads and rotors? there was a write up somewhere on how to properly beak in new brakes.. perhaps do a search?
hunting-solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #18
tercel89

I was off work to day and tore my front end down and found the problem .
It was that I put the pads on the wrong way : I put the one with the 2 squeelers on the outside and the one with 1 on the inside . It should be the other way around where the 2 sqwueelers on the the inside and the 1 squeeler is onthe outside. So I got to looking at the rotor and saw that the reversed pad had dug into my rotor , not on the brake part of the rotor ,, but on the hub part and had ground about 2-3 mm's into it
Here is the worst part . The pad's body that dug into my rotor had caused so much resisitance that it built up pressure and caused my caliper to break off big chunks arouns each end of the little rods that hold on the brake pads . Thats alot of pressure to break that , its like cast iron. SOOOOOOO I have to buy a new caliper now And so far no one makes remanufactured one , so I have to get NEW ones and its cost is HIGH.
All this for just putting on a pad the wrong way and driving it 5 miles.