The most common gas leak 98 tacoma - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Early Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
erin

Default The most common gas leak 98 tacoma

what is The most common gas leak on a 98 tacoma 2wd. Ive taken the gas tank off i do not see anyghing that shows any signs of leaking in the tank. I put new gaskets on the pump, vent, and filler hose. I tried looking for leaks in the fuel lines they all looked dri.

I can see salt on them so i they were a little easier to inspect. I did smell gas when i opened the fuel door but the was after taking off the filler cover and putting my nose right up to the filler door.

Here as smoe pics of the tank off the truck. and a few pics of the engine gas lines where i think a leak might be.

Tell me if the fuel pump bracket needs to be replaced in your opinion by looking at the photos i have posted. If you are not sure dont give me an opinion.

Yo helpis appreciated. I am trying to do this with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tacoma Gas tank 002.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	16287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tacoma Gas tank 001.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	16288  
erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
erin

It wont let me post more pictures it says your quota exeeded or something.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
erin

http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/qq207/ein999/

Here is the link to the photos.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #4
erin

Actually your opinion does count to be turthful.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
tacoma_2002
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2002 Tacoma
Send a message via Yahoo to tacoma_2002

looks like your only leak is at the fuel injectors...i dont see anything but rust

2007 Double Cab TRD Taco 4.0 Auto
Silver Streak Metallic
2.5 SAW's, 2.0 Icons rear with Deaver pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyDang View Post
Look at my picture I posted you can see that you may need 2-3 more inches.
tacoma_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
erin

How could i have a leak at the injectors. I went through a whole tank of gas in two days not even driving 200 miles. you might be right becuase i loose more gas driving than anyother time. But wouldnt it catch on fire if it were leaking at the injectors. Ive never hear of an injector leak. You mean the fuel lines going into the injectors or the actual injector itself ???
Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
tacoma_2002
Veteran Member

naw man your thinking too hard...i just ment there dosen't seem to be a leak just where the injector sprays....if you think its those rubber lines just replace them...im pretty sure your not loosing that much gas there...are you sure its a gas leak? do you have any concrete you can park it on for a few days and see if its leaking...are you sure its not just someone siphoning your gas out?

Silver Streak Metallic

Quote:
Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #8
erin

It happens when im driving.
The gas goes down real quick.

It is a used truck so im wondering if i have the wrong bracket on there or someone mismatched parts like a bigger tank or a different pump bracket or maybe the fuel gage is not working. STIll i should have way more gas in there. I filled up two times in the last 4 days so where did all my gas go. i Dont see anyleaks in under the truck in the lines or on the tank. Why would someone siphon gas out of my truck two times in a row. I dont get it. How could they. I have a gas lock on the door.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
tacoma_2002
Veteran Member

man you got one heck of a problem....evidently your leak is between the fuel tank and the engine, if it only goes when you drive, the fuel pump is pumping it out somewhere follow your fuel lines down the driver side railings to the engine bay...inspect them well and let us know what that looks like

Silver Streak Metallic

Quote:
Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
erin

Ive already did that i did not see or find a lead. Is there any special way to find it or anything i should look for.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:50 AM   #11
Whatthepho?

Send a message via AIM to Whatthepho? Send a message via MSN to Whatthepho?

Turn on you engine and look at your Fuel Filter, When I replaced mine It would slowly leak I didn't notice it until I left my truck running for 2 minutes, then I notice a puddle. I fixed it by unscrewing it and rescrewing it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnyder View Post
yeah dude i fucked my sister.
There's a place where everyone can be happy. It's the most beautiful place in the whole fucking world. It's made of candy canes and planes and bright red choo-choo trains, And the meanest little boys and the most innocent little girls, And you know I wish that I could got there. It's a road that I have not found.
-Greg Graffin
Whatthepho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #12
erin

My fuel filter is in the enigine next to the manifold where there is a lot of heat if there was a leak there it would of caused a fire by now considering the amount of fuel i have lost in the past three days. I dont think it is the filter.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 AM   #13
Whatthepho?

Send a message via AIM to Whatthepho? Send a message via MSN to Whatthepho?

I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly in Physics. Gas takes about 520* to ignite. The temp around there is about 220*.

Park it in a enclosed area overnight and then go in there and see if you can smell gas the next morning or a few hours later.

A bad MAF sensor can cause bad gas mileage. Maybe it's not a leak that you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnyder View Post
yeah dude i fucked my sister.
There's a place where everyone can be happy. It's the most beautiful place in the whole fucking world. It's made of candy canes and planes and bright red choo-choo trains, And the meanest little boys and the most innocent little girls, And you know I wish that I could got there. It's a road that I have not found.
-Greg Graffin
Whatthepho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:42 AM   #14
Fishbone
Average member

If the truck is leaking that much gas, you should be able to smell it within a 20' radius of the truck.

D44 3 Link W/coilovers
Dual cases Triple shifters
37" MTR's 4.88's Locked F&R
Fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #15
erin

Your right i dont smell gas as much as i should considering how aggresive its leaking.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #16
EnolaGaia
Veteran Member

I agree - there's no mention of gas smell or visible puddling (yet ...) to support the theory it's a leak.

It could be a combination of winter gas and running overly rich. However, if you're running rich I'm surprised you're not throwing one or more CEL codes.
EnolaGaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #17
erin

No no gas codes and it cant loose 7 gallons from runinng rich in two days considering i havent driven more than 220 miles. and im on empty. My gas meter reads below empty and after taking off the tank it is low but not completely empty. Still where can all that gas go in two days. My tank is 15 gallons i think.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #18
erin

I just tested the sending unit and im getting a reading of 15 ohms when empty and 120 when full. so the unti is workiing as the hanes manual states i shoudl be getting reading between 110 and 3 ohms.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #19
Zeb8806
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Zeb8806

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
No no gas codes and it cant loose 7 gallons from runinng rich in two days considering i havent driven more than 220 miles. and im on empty. My gas meter reads below empty and after taking off the tank it is low but not completely empty. Still where can all that gas go in two days. My tank is 15 gallons i think.
well it certainly could 220miles /15 gallons is 14.6 mpg not out of the realm of possibilities of just shitty gas mileage. and you said you had gas in the tank. maybe the gauge is just messed up?? simple way to check is fill up drive 50 or so miles right away then refill and see what the mileage comes out to be. I doubt you could lose enough gas from a leak without knowing it in 50 miles to adversely affect gas mileage.
Zeb8806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #20
erin

Notice hwo everything is rusting except for the main fuel line. Im wondering if it is clean because of fuel leaking. by looking at the pictures would you say there is a leak in the main line on the tank. It looks so clean and wet looking compared to everything else. What do you think. Is that a lead spot or just clean from gas excaping keeping it clean like that.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #21
MikeAWood

My Rig: '04 4Runner LTD 4x4
Send a message via ICQ to MikeAWood Send a message via AIM to MikeAWood Send a message via MSN to MikeAWood

The mileage looks ok to me..

But one think I wanted to add is that my gauge tends to have a bad spot right at ~80 or so miles into the tank. The gauge actually goes almost all the way to the bottom and then returns to normal. Could just be your gauge lying to you. In my acse, I've never chased it down or checked the sender to see if it ior the actual gauge is the issue (I'd assume it to be the sender)

Tank should hold 18.5 (I believe). Hotfooting it around, I can easily swallow a whole tank in 240-250 miles on my '02 d-cab V6 4WD. I've managed to push 330 miles out of a tank before, but it requires a serious commitment to having everything running perfect, keeping the RPMs as low as possible by driving the speed limit, as little weight as possible, perfect tire inflation..etc, etc...

You might just need plugs wires and a fuel injection cleaning. Throttle body and MAF sensor too while you're at it.
K6MAW (Who uses CBs anymore?)

'04 4Runner 4x4 Limited. Icons up front, Icon piggys and springs in the rear. Demello square sliders. AVIC-Z130BT (and all the trimmings). Dual Battery and National Luna dual battery kit. Yaesu FT-8800 for talking, Alinco DR-135T and Argent Data Tracker2 (embedded) for tracking. Oh yeah, and I have seat warmers too.
MikeAWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #22
TacoDell
truck ~n~ tow

My Rig: '00 Tacoma

If you had a fuel leak... You'd smell it...
especially if you're outside the truck when it's running, even if it were leaking just a little you would smell that easily...

As Mike suggested... you should do a tune up and an intake cleaning

Got any dents in the fuel tank ? That'll throw shit off
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build
TacoDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #23
erin

Unhappy

Ive done a cleaning of the trottle and air intake. It has new plugs and wires and filter(air). It is a 2wd 2.4 litre so its going to get better mpg than a 4x4 v6. I do not smell gas unless i go right up to the tank undeneath the truck next to the tank and even then its not that stong. I remember smelling gas when i took off the fuel filler cover where you fill up the gas but that is normal if you ask me. Thats where the gas gets filled up so you are going to smell it there. The gas tank has pressure in it when ever i take the cap off it relives pressure from the tank (air escapes etc..)

So i dont suspect a leak at the tank.

Im guessing its a bad sending unit giving me a bad reading yet im still wondering why im not getting better gas mileage. I am basing all of my guessing on where did all of my gas go? Thats the reason ive been startled at not finding a leak or smelling or seeing anything. When i filled up the pump filled the whole tank from what i remember now theres little gas left in the tank. I dont know maybe its me.

I give up now
Old 12-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #24
TacoDell
truck ~n~ tow

My Rig: '00 Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
It is a 2wd 2.4 litre so its going to get better mpg than a 4x4 v6.
For the most part that would be true...

But a 2.4 with oversized tires and most commonly undergeared could get worse fuel mileage then a properly tuned and properly geared 3.4 L

So yer theory holds little water... er... uh gas... LoL

Why don't you fill out your sig line... so that we can know better what yer running on this truck of yers...

If it's all stock that's one thing... but if it is not...
that could be the difference between good and evil...
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build
TacoDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #25
EnolaGaia
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
But a 2.4 with oversized tires and most commonly undergeared could get worse fuel mileage then a properly tuned and properly geared 3.4 L

So yer theory holds little water... er... uh gas... LoL ...
Not to mention the fact that if you have oversized tires and aren't taking them into consideration on your calculations you're rolling farther than the 220 miles you mentioned ...
EnolaGaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #26
jkron08
Veteran Member

i would check your fuel filler cap. i mean ya checked everything else, you could have a vapor leak, where its not crazy strong to smell, but its evaporating. its a long shot, but its worth a quick look.
Magnaflow Exhuast

2002 Tacoma Reg Cab 2.7l 4x4 5spd
all stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadetLee View Post
I adapted to my environment to improve the chances of a response.
jkron08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #27
tacoma_2002
Veteran Member

or seafoam it

Silver Streak Metallic

Quote:
Old 12-14-2008, 05:08 AM   #28
johnnytwelvepack

i get 18mpg on my 97 2runner if that helps for comparison... It has to be going somewhere, either out on to the ground or into the engine and if it is running that rich you would probably be noticing poor drivability. Check all the fuel lines with the engine RUNNING, the pump is not on otherwise.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #29
RallyToy

Throw a 5 gallon can of gas in the back, fill the can and the gas tank, set the trip meter to zero, then run the truck out of gas. You'll have the 5 gallons to put in the tank to get you to a station, and you'll know if your gauge/sending unit is bad or not, and know where on the gauge you will run out for future use. Plus a good estimate on mpg.

Low-tech, but it diagnosed a bad sending unit for me.