AC "Vent" Selector Problems - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Interior/Electrical/Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
TACORICAN
Veteran Member

Default AC "Vent" Selector Problems

I am not sure what this is called but the know where you can select where you want AC comming out of. Not the one that sets the temp. This thing is not working.... Air will not come out of the two front vent right in the center of the Dash. If I select that it will give air on the floor and the sides. Sometimes I switch the windshield and back and it will work and sometimes it doesn't Only a little bit of air comes out trhu the middle. This happened right after going to Pismo. But like I said when i play with it, air does come out as normal thru those Vents in the middle. What could be the problem?
TACORICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
01taco4x4

I am having the same problem with mine. What year model is yours. Is this happening to anyone else?
Old 06-20-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
TACORICAN
Veteran Member

Its a 2002 Xtra Cab V6
Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #4
01taco4x4

Default year

mines an 01, next time im near the dealer i might stop in and ask some questions or have it looked at.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
TACORICAN
Veteran Member

22 views. No one has this problem?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
TRD SyRuP

Send a message via AIM to TRD SyRuP Send a message via MSN to TRD SyRuP

mine has the same problem..04 ext cab prerunner..its at the dealer getting its 30k..and theyre looking at the problem..ill let you all know what was wrong when i get it back tonight
TRD SyRuP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
TACORICAN
Veteran Member

Keep us posted man.
Thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
Eztrog88
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Eztrog88

1998 Reg Cab 4x4 here, 2.7L 5-speed. Had it a year now, my center vents never work unless a half close both the side vents; defrost is week unless I close the side vents; and I get air out of the side vents when it's switched (on the dash) to floor. I think it's just the way the ducting is set-up.

1998 Tacoma
Regular Cab 4x4
2.7L - 5-spd

TJM Front Bumper
Fabtech Coilovers with Fox Racing Shox
1.5" Shackle and Deaver 3-Leaf AAL
ATArmor Sliders
31x10.50 BFG ATs

(Anyone want to trade for my 3.58's ? )
Eztrog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
thehulk

I think (don't quote me...) the newer models use an electric motor to move the vanes in the vents...the older models use cables. Maybe the electric motor is bad? Just a guess though...

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2005, 07:16 PM   #10
TRD SyRuP

well..got my truck back..and the A/C comes out of the selected vents...but they had to order me a heating unit covered under warrenty..

they said they took it apart..and a plastic piece behind the selector knob was broken..so they had one in stock..NO CHARGE..and now it works..
Old 06-20-2005, 11:30 PM   #11
Driftaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD SyRuP
well..got my truck back..and the A/C comes out of the selected vents...but they had to order me a heating unit covered under warrenty..

they said they took it apart..and a plastic piece behind the selector knob was broken..so they had one in stock..NO CHARGE..and now it works..
when u say it works do u mean that the air flow is the SAME from the 2 center vents as it is from the 2 side vents???

my truck has never had equal flow from the center vents unless I close the side vents halfway like someone else sayed. i have always assumed t was due to the design of the ducting or something. this is one of the only things that buggs me aout my truck and if I can realy fix it by buying some falking plastic peace that would be the shit!
Driftaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:53 AM   #12
TRD SyRuP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftaco
when u say it works do u mean that the air flow is the SAME from the 2 center vents as it is from the 2 side vents???

my truck has never had equal flow from the center vents unless I close the side vents halfway like someone else sayed. i have always assumed t was due to the design of the ducting or something. this is one of the only things that buggs me aout my truck and if I can realy fix it by buying some falking plastic peace that would be the shit!
yeah..as in..all 4 vents blow air now..lol..equal..who cares..i get air now..
Old 06-21-2005, 08:53 AM   #13
pmh203

I have an 04 v6 ext cab and my center ones dont work at all. when I changed out my head unit last week it looks like the vents don't even match up with the ducting ?
pmh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #14
TACORICAN
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD SyRuP

So what was the problem? The Heating Unit or the Selector Knob?
Old 06-21-2005, 03:45 PM   #15
MattyFatty182

Send a message via ICQ to MattyFatty182 Send a message via AIM to MattyFatty182 Send a message via MSN to MattyFatty182 Send a message via Yahoo to MattyFatty182

Mine does the same thing. Even when i have the switch on Defrost it still comes through the two vents.

My centers barely work, too. I guess I just learned to live with it.

Needs lockers more than anything.
MattyFatty182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:46 PM   #16
01taco4x4

Default ducts arent the problem

The ducts arent the problem. When you change it to vents it just keeps blowing to the floor. Ride around like that a couple days and itll eventually flip up. But it never fails once i get it back up on vents some dork will get in and go to turning knobs and through it back to the floor.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:39 PM   #17
TRD SyRuP

well the unit..to make the air cold..

and the knob was missing a plastic part at the back of it..like where it clicks into place under the vents deep int he dash..
Old 06-21-2005, 10:27 PM   #18
TACORICAN
Veteran Member

Would this be why the air stays comming out of the sides and the floor?
Old 06-23-2005, 07:28 AM   #19
01taco4x4

Default doit myself

I guess soon as i get some extra time i am gona take mine apart and see if i cant figure it out on my own with out paying someone else to do it.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:34 AM   #20
CanTaco

My Rig: 2012 TRD T/X
Default center airflow

Just had an issue with my selector knob stuck in two positions but I've also had problems with airflow from the center vents on my 99. I checked the linkages on the floor on the right side of drivers side and managed to unstuck the linkage for my selector knob.

I honestly think the center vents don't blow cause of design problems. Alot of ppl have the same issue.
CanTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #21
MikeAWood

My Rig: '04 4Runner LTD 4x4
Send a message via ICQ to MikeAWood Send a message via AIM to MikeAWood Send a message via MSN to MikeAWood

on my '02 D-Cab, the louvers are driven my small servos in the dash. it's possible that your louvers are full of dust dirt or that the servos have poped off or come loose. take a look under the drivers side of the dash and change the selection of the settings and you should hear the servos move. if they sound like they are laboring or making a bad noise, then that might be your problem.

For those of you that have it coming out the side when the setting is on Defrost, IMO, that is normal. It is used to defrost the side windows. I could be wrong, but I'd bet they are that way on purpose.
K6MAW (Who uses CBs anymore?)

'04 4Runner 4x4 Limited. Icons up front, Icon piggys and springs in the rear. Demello square sliders. AVIC-Z130BT (and all the trimmings). Dual Battery and National Luna dual battery kit. Yaesu FT-8800 for talking, Alinco DR-135T and Argent Data Tracker2 (embedded) for tracking. Oh yeah, and I have seat warmers too.
MikeAWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #22
MikeAWood

My Rig: '04 4Runner LTD 4x4
Send a message via ICQ to MikeAWood Send a message via AIM to MikeAWood Send a message via MSN to MikeAWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebuilt98 View Post
No servos in his truck.
hum...The original poster responded that he had an 02..Figured it would be the same as my 02?! Guess not?
K6MAW (Who uses CBs anymore?)

'04 4Runner 4x4 Limited. Icons up front, Icon piggys and springs in the rear. Demello square sliders. AVIC-Z130BT (and all the trimmings). Dual Battery and National Luna dual battery kit. Yaesu FT-8800 for talking, Alinco DR-135T and Argent Data Tracker2 (embedded) for tracking. Oh yeah, and I have seat warmers too.
MikeAWood is offline   Reply With Quote