alcan springs - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Desert Tech > Long-Travel Suspension Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
ledzeppelin135

Default alcan springs

hi i am wondering if any one has had experience with alcan leaf springs. i have an 01 2wd 5 lug tacoma leaf under and i am looking at getting an 8 leaf alcan, but i am wanting to pull around 14 inches of travel. I have 14" travel kings that are going to be bolted to a shock hoop after i cycle the leafs, but will i be able to pull 14" travel with the alcans. Also i am worried about stiff ride and hopping. I will give them mall the correct information about my truck but will it stop most hopping and give a good ride. They told me it would be about 300 plus shipping for custom leaf springs which is better than deaver by far. But just give me your opinions thanks alot
ledzeppelin135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
devinsixtyseven
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin135 View Post
I will give them mall the correct information about my truck but will it stop most hopping and give a good ride.
Well, if you're just gonna hit the mall, it ain't gonna matter ...

This is actually a question for Alcan, they will know their own springs best. In general, you can estimate the suspension can be cycled the natural arch plus an inch (maybe two) of negative arch, plus half the length of your shackle, depending on how the springs were designed to operate, how thick the leaves are, etc...so like I said, you really gotta ask Alcan how far that spring pack can cycle (not including shackle), then add half the length of your shackle...that's a decent estimate for what you'll get from that pack.

I sorta doubt it's gonna be 14", particularly if it's a stock-length pack. My Alcans (built for weight, not travel) should be able to get 11" on their own (9" natural arch, 2" negative arch & that's pushing it), plus about 2" more from shackle movement, on a 60.5" main leaf with 8 leaves a hair over 0.25" thick and a double-wrapped half leaf on the front of each pack.

Let them know you need travel, IIRC they'll use thinner leaves vs what they use on packs like mine which were designed to carry excess weight.

It will help if you can give them the weight over the rear axle. Most truck stops can help you, either free or for about eight bucks. Subtract...oh...maybe 350# & the weight of your wheels & tires, that's about how much weight you have on the rear suspension.

You'll have very little wheel hop compared to stock, and they'll ride great at whatever weight you specify they need to ride great at...hopefully that makes sense. Mine are awesome, they're pushing seven years old, and should have another 5 years or more on them before they're considered "worn"...Alcan usually guesses about 150k miles of normal use, unless you're always reversing them or racing on them.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
RkcrawlrWnab

300?! 300 hundred what, dollars? Thay just told me 500 for stock replacement springs...
RkcrawlrWnab is offline   Reply With Quote