lack of power @ 2500 RPM's - Page 2 - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > By State > Indiana > Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #31
Bear
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1997 Toyota Tacoma

Without the blower connected, it is a dog, I am pretty sure it is not the supercharger, but then again, it runs fine up until boost with the belt on.

NOw is that a condradiction or what? I even confused myself with that one.

What I mean to say is that without the belt on the supercharger, the motor sputters and stalls as if the belt was installed.

But now with all the work done, the motor will idle great, and even accelerate as long as you are steady and slow to increase the speed. But once you loose patience and try to increase the speed a bit quicker it starts spuddering, just below boost.

1st gear nice steady rpms, shift to 2nd gear and you have to be careful with the gas peddle, Third gear the same as 2nd. Drop it into 4th and it is a chore to keep the motor running.

"Put your foot into it" and it won't go anywhere, cuts out and if you dont let it recover by taking your foot off the gas peddle, it will die.

Originally Posted by abbott
remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #32
muddertrucker99

Bear have you changed out the FPR? Or did you get the vacum line to it switched with something else. It sounds like a fuel issue still. I would have toyota do a Fuel pressure test on it. The fuel pump may look like its delivering good but when it is under a load it may not be able to keep up.

98 tacoma sas'd gone
muddertrucker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #33
Fuod
Veteran Member

My Rig: '04 TRD 4x4 X-Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinner View Post
its late and im still at work..............until rrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhttttt meow!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbuq1sZvFIE

Classic!
Fuod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #34
Bear
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddertrucker99 View Post
Bear have you changed out the FPR? Or did you get the vacum line to it switched with something else. It sounds like a fuel issue still. I would have toyota do a Fuel pressure test on it. The fuel pump may look like its delivering good but when it is under a load it may not be able to keep up.
I am drawing a blank right now, the FPR is located on the throttle body correct? If so, we switched out both sensors on the throttle body FPR and the IAC.

I was going to insist on a fuel pressure test, but when I dropped off the truck last night I got a little distracted with the temps hovering around 20 degrees.

But I have a meeting tomorrow with the tech and service manager ( a bit odd as I have never been asked to schedule a meeting to discuss work on a vehilce before ) at which time I will request the test if it has not already been done.

But I believe the FPR was changed, in which case. I am leaning toward the injectors again.

for the meeting, all the service writer told me was "there are a few issues we need to go over with you that may or may not be associated with the problem" ( I was thinking "oh b-o-y"

remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #35
Bear
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinner View Post
i would have the scrap yard to a "crush" test on it
Bastid! I would flame back but it is late and I didn't get any sleep last night as it was!

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #36
brinner
Brian

bring it
brinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #37
Bear
Veteran Member

well if you would stand still and quit running around in circles!

I am tired and don't feel like chasing you!

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #38
brinner
Brian

it really is the best defense !
brinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #39
Bear
Veteran Member

I thought lying on the ground flailing your arms and legs around like a cock roach was.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #40
NwiTACO

My Rig: 2005 TACOMA DCSB

That works til the lights come on!
NwiTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #41
Bear
Veteran Member

well to take this off topic banter further off topic

what is the status of the design work? you finished it up yet? and if not why are you wasting time on the boards?

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #42
Fuod
Veteran Member

My Rig: '04 TRD 4x4 X-Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
well to take this off topic banter further off topic
So, has anyone seen the movie "Taken"? It scored a 8/10 at IMDB, must be good!
Fuod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #43
muddertrucker99

Bear the F.P.R is the Fuel Pressure Regulator! I figured a guy with as many post as you do would know what the Fpr is. GEEEEEEEEEEEE's

98 tacoma sas'd gone
Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #44
Bear
Veteran Member

I know what an FPR is, I was just drawing a blank. LOL

How much do you know about superchargers and fuel maps?

The truck is at the dealer and the tech working on the truck has been great ( so far I have been impressed with the customer service I have received from Andy Mohr Toyota), but he doesn't have any experience with the blowers. In fact he said he called the regional service rep and he doesn't have any answers for the tech either.

the long trim is reading right under 30, but the short trim is reading 2.80 or so. and the tech is trying to find some resource that tells him exactly what the reading should be. At this point he just knows the readings are way off.

I have an email out to URD, but I am sure it might take a couple of days IF I get a reply

Also the front o2 has the syn wave that looks almost normal, and the rear o2 syn wave is flat lined with a very rare peak.

So the idea of taking the truck to the dealer for diagnose is paying off, but we just don't know how to interrupt the data.

the Tech's "guess" at this point is a severe vacum leak possibly at the intake gasket, but at $87 an hour I would love to narrow the possibilities down further before starting the wild goose chase.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #45
muddertrucker99

Are you running a wideband. If so if it goes to running lean then you have a fuel dleiver problem. If its running to rich then you need to retune to urd programmer.

You could take the urd setup off and see if it will change anything. I'm assuming that you are running the 7th injector also. The 7th injector could be flooding out the engine. I dont know how those worked.

When i had Hagan supercharger on mine the bolts backoff the intake and was not boosting good and was running like shit. So you may have a bad intake gasket like the stealership said.

BUt im leaning towards fuel delivery. When the line was kinked! Was it kinked on pick side of the tank or press side to the intake? What im getting at is if it was on the pickup side it could have burnt up the pump. Cause the pump not get good fuel pressure.

But if its not to hard to take off the urd system i would try it. Dont know if any of this will help but i tried. Also you may not want to hear this but you could go over to CT board. Those guys know there stuff on blown motors.

98 tacoma sas'd gone
Old 03-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #46
99sr54wd

i assuem you have checked your valve covers. i checked my valve cover bolts last week which i've never touched before, they were all loose, ever single of them, just finger tight. i got bit better power after tighten them down. but i couldn't reach down few of the bolts on the driver side. after a little search, seems like it's pretty common amoung the 3.4 motors.

04 SR5 4.0L 4WD, , Scion H/U, FJC silver Bil' shocks and coils, BFG A/T.

Daily Driver: 2000 Odyssey.
99sr54wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #47
DN1911

ok, first of all i skipped just about all the post in this thread. you really need to stop guessing and have it diagnosed by a shop. in your area Gasoline Alley Tune Up would be my first suggestion.

you have a high mileage Toyota with a Supercharger witch i have expressed my dislike for in the past. there are ways to fix the problems but you should probably remove the SC first and fix the problem then put it back on and see what happens.
DN1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #48
Bear
Veteran Member

Truck spent last week at the dealership being diagnosed. Results is a major vacuum leak. I just couldn't see spending $87 an hour for them to try and figure out where the leak is at.

Spoke to Gadget and he gave me some suggestions to start looking.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #49
Bear
Veteran Member

I haven't tightened them lately, so that isn't a bad idea. I just can't see where that might be a source for a vacuum leak.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #50
Bear
Veteran Member

No wide band, and no 7th injector.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #51
muddertrucker99

If you cant find the vacum leaks! i would try to take the urd off!( only if it woould be simple) Also the Fpr works off of the vacum also. If you have one of those lines backward it might be not opening up properly.

Does your boost gauge have a vacum side on it. then goes to the boost side. Mine would run 20 to 25 on the vacum side then give it gas and it would go to 0.

98 tacoma sas'd gone
Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #52
Bear
Veteran Member

Well I don't have any 7th injector or URD. basically running cooler plugs, thermostat, larger fuel pump and TMC 1.1 no larger injectors no other upgrades.

I am beginning to suspect the fuel pump but without any way of testing pressure, I can't be certain.

the FPR was changed early in the process. but I have not checked my vacuum lines to make sure my friend connected them all back in proper order, but I really can't see him getting them out of whack as I made sure to not disconnect mulitple lines at one time. Plus that does not explain the original problem coming home when it started happening.

My boost gauge does have vacuum and boost. My motor has always idled at -23 psi. Which is still does. the problem does not appear until right at 0 psi.

Gadget and the tech that did the diagnostic both agree it probably is a vacuum leak, but unless I just installed the throttle body gasket in wrong again. It is in place as well as tightened down the supercharger, so unless the intake gasket is ripped to pieces, then I can't figure out where the vacuum leak is at?

I guess it is time to start pulling vaccum lines. but before doing that, I need find my vacuum line diagram.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #53
muddertrucker99

I know my dads 302 did sucked the intake gasket in and it ran like dudie! I haven't worked with the toyota v6 much! But it could be a possibilty. Im not talking bout the the one were the supercharger goes to the intake but the one the that deliveres the air to the valves. But Idk if that is like that the yotas. But that is were his did that at. And yes his ford is EFi.

I'm running out of ideas to tell ya. But istill believe its fuel delivery but i could be wrong. But Ky_savages 88 did the same thing yours is doing. It idle good and then when you went down the road it would run like shit! He changed out the fuel pump and it ran out fine.

98 tacoma sas'd gone
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #54
Bear
Veteran Member

Quote:
I know my dads 302 did sucked the intake gasket in and it ran like dudie! I haven't worked with the toyota v6 much! But it could be a possibilty. Im not talking bout the the one were the supercharger goes to the intake but the one the that deliveres the air to the valves. But Idk if that is like that the yotas. But that is were his did that at. And yes his ford is EFi.

I'm running out of ideas to tell ya. But istill believe its fuel delivery but i could be wrong. But Ky_savages 88 did the same thing yours is doing. It idle good and then when you went down the road it would run like shit! He changed out the fuel pump and it ran out fine.
Can you please explain to me why you are just telling me about "savages issue" just now? Or if you did say something earlier, why didn't I remember?

changing out my fuel pump is a lot easier than taking the blower off to change out intake gaskets.

By the way, the gasket I am thinking about is the gasket that goes between the supercharger and the manifold.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #55
muddertrucker99

I thought i told you ealrier on one of the other threads that you started. If not oops. BUt that is why i kept saying i think its a fuel delivery problem!

98 tacoma sas'd gone
Old 03-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #56
Bear
Veteran Member

Quote:
I thought i told you ealrier on one of the other threads that you started. If not oops. BUt that is why i kept saying i think its a fuel delivery problem!
Who knows, not important.

but I am going to be mentioning this and the entire thread to Gadget and hopefully this can lead to some success. I have already looked up the price of a new fuel pump.

so I will ask Gadget about the possibilities.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #57
muddertrucker99

I due know that idle it doesnt need much fuel psi! First gear really doesnt either but as you go on up in the gears the demand for fuel and air getts higher. Your truck is taking in alkinds of air and no fuel. So then your computer starts going haywire. THey had Ky_savage chasing down the same thing as you are. He spent more money then he needed to . But if you didnt go thought this you would have never found the the timing gear gonna bad!

98 tacoma sas'd gone
Old 03-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #58
Bear
Veteran Member

true on the timing gear, it would have eventually shown up, but probably in a catastrophic way!

I already have an email out to Gadget, Hopefully I will get a reply this afternoon from him.

Again I am down to a deadline as we have a run in two weeks and I would like to get the truck on a trail again!

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #59
redbirdrunner

If you suspect a vacuum leak the easiest way to find out is to spray carb cleaner around intake and gakets you suspect are leaking, if you notice a change in the way the engine is idling then you have found your leak.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #60
Bear
Veteran Member

Yup! we have done that a few times, but nothing has shown up so far. with the tacoma motor compartment and the 3.4, it is not as tight as say a mustang, but it is still tight in there, so I am going to go through the procedure yet again as well as confirm all vacuum lines are in proper place.

GO SPURS GO!!!!