lack of power @ 2500 RPM's - Page 3 - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > By State > Indiana > Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #61
muddertrucker99

Bear keep me updated if gadget may think its the fuel pump also. But it could be possible that the fuel pump is failing.

98 tacoma sas'd gone
muddertrucker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #62
NwiTACO

My Rig: 2005 TACOMA DCSB

So what are you going to try this weekend? (WOW! I actually replied in your thread...)
Blue Ribbon Coalition #4847

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
NwiTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #63
Bear
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1997 Toyota Tacoma

Thats a first!

1) "sniffing out" all the vacuum lines
2) double checking vacuum line routing
3) See if the check valve is installed properly and not clogged
4) crank angle sensor. (Gadget says the teeth of the broken crank pully should be stuck to it as it is magnetized and if so, it would throw all the readings off
5) disconnect the TCM1.1 box

If none of that works, then just work on electrical and interior and call Gadget back

Originally Posted by abbott
… remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #64
muddertrucker99

Did you working the truck this weekend?

98 tacoma sas'd gone
muddertrucker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #65
Bear
Veteran Member

very little. I checked the vacuum lines to make sure everything was routed correctly and it was! all the vacuum lines appeared to be in good shape.

I pulled the crank angle sensor as Gadget said that it could possibly be holding the missing teeth from the crank pulley gear. But they were not on the sensor ( so the mistery continues on where they ended up)

I went to have the sensor tested, but of coarse no one could test it on a Sunday so it was cleaned up and put back in. I need to move the toyota tomorrow and with a gapping hole where the sensor sits, I didn't feel like spraying new motor oil out of it.

I am basically lost on what is going on. the "usual suspects" are not yeilding any answers.

I even contemplated this morning pulling the entire motor and start tearing it down to rebuild. But I am keep telling myself the problem is going to be something simple because everything else in the motor appears to be in great shape, other than it not wanting to accelerate.

… remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #66
DN1911

has anyone checked the compression on ALL the cylinders?
DN1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #67
brinner
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
...........I even contemplated this morning pulling the entire motor......

minus the video for the first 10 seconds....

http://www.freeonlinegames.com/fun-g...und-board.html
...yup that pretty much represents anything i could possibly say to that comment.
brinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #68
NwiTACO

I just don't know what to say anymore except good luck Bear!

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
Old 03-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #69
Bear
Veteran Member

I don't think it is any major component, otherwise it would not be running so well at idle.

To address Dustin's question, no compression check has been performed as I don't know anyone with a compression gauge that will work with 3.4's. but at this point I am willing to give anything a shot.

I have to install the hitch on the ford tonight so I will be doing that, and then back to the toyota to thrash until this weekend.

I began thinking again about the TMC1.1 timing control box that is attached to my ECU outputs. I recently (well before the troubles) had some monkey working on my stereo, and I have found other items behind my dash that were cut and spliced back together etc. or just not working any longer. So my latest theory hinges around all that.

I am wondering if he had not bumped or pulled a wire from that TCM which is throwing things off. My next step is to take the glove box back out and inspect all the wires, if they are still visibly okay/connected, I am going to disconnect the box and see if maybe it just has gone bad.

It is electrical and electrical items do go bad. The last time I messed with the settings, I noticed the lack of reaction of the truck to the adjustments I was making. so maybe this is part of all that.

But at the time of adjustments, I didn't think much of lack of response, because the differences normally seen are so small anyway it is actually hard to notice them.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #70
DN1911

i would have someone do a compression check just to be safe. That Toyota dealer we were talking about can at least do that. other than that there could be a loss of spark or fuel up in the RPM range. as far as figuring that out i don't know.

you may want to go have a chat with the owner of Linder Fuel Injection on the Alley. they specialize in rare and hard to diagnose FI problems. you may be able to make arrangements to have them look at your truck if the compression check comes back good. they are awesome at what they do and the only place i can think of that may be able to help you.
DN1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #71
jason6746
inttora

i second the compression check. it will at least tell you if the motor itself is sound.

amsoil dealer
jason6746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #72
Bear
Veteran Member

I contacted Linder at the very beginning of all this trouble a few days after the truck stalled on the way home from your parents house. I was told that they did not do anything with Toyota motors or injectors.

If you know someone over there to talk to I am all ears. I will admit, I did not talk to the owner, but I did talk to a tech and not just someone in the "office"

The latest task is to remove the TMC1.1. Gadget seems to have a systematic approach to this so I am trying to follow his lead. I gave him all the symptoms, what parts already removed/changed. I gave him the readings the dealership came back with so he is pretty much up to speed with everything. And he is the one suggesting the removal of the piggy back.

I was going to pick up a compression tester today, but ran out of time, as well as asked to play basketball with my littlest one...as much as I want the truck running, I have to keep the "priorities" in order. AS always "flesh and blood over Metal"!

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #73
brinner
Brian

unless you can find a way to make your family out of metal
brinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #74
Bear
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinner View Post
unless you can find a way to make your family out of metal
then I would have to worry about heavy metal poisoning!

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #75
Bear
Veteran Member

Default Linder fuel injector service

I stopped in Linder fuel injector service on Gasoline alley this morning on the way to work. (Dustin's recommendation) but as I was told in the past, they do not work on Toyota's.

But I pressed the issue (reason for going in person instead of calling as I had done previously) and got one of their injector "wizards" to agree that they can look at the injectors and clean them as long as I take the injectors into them out of the vehicle.

He said it would only take them a day to inspect and clean. So I should be able to drop them off in the morning and pick them up tomorrow night (If I am able to get off work early enough)

Since there is only four injector manufactures out there, they can still do an awesome job on servicing them. and quite possibly have the larger injectors I need in case they are too bad to service (at least that is my hopes) Bottom line is that they can inspect them and know what they are doing, even though they only work on domestics. The parts are still the same.

I was really hoping that they had the wide band sensor I was looking for to borrow, but when I mentioned it, I got the "cold fish" response I expected.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #76
NwiTACO

You think nowadays work would be work. Guess some people still don't care...

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
Old 03-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #77
Bear
Veteran Member

I think in this case it is quite the opposite, they care so much about their craft that they still insist on specializing.

Besides in doing research on the company, it seems the owner has his hands in a few ventures with the main one being training of technicians and only has the injector service on the side of that more as support than any other reason.

Walking into the office though was like walking back in time. I haven't been in a speed shop like this in quite some time. almost museum atmosphere.

IN fact reading their website yesterday starting back in 06 they have made more than one trip out to Bonnivelle with a vehicle they have built! which in it's self is pretty damn cool

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #78
NwiTACO

I can go to Bonneville with a tricycle

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
Old 03-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #79
Bear
Veteran Member

you are not much of a history buff are you.

bonnivelle is Cool as shit-tha.

anything with speed and wheels are cool!

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #80
Bear
Veteran Member

Default Most Recent update!!!!!

For some reason I have always been intimated about removing the supercharger. Don't ask me why, just a phobia that has developed.

Anyway, since I am planning on taking the injectors up to an injector shop to be cleaned and inspected. I asked a neighbor/friend that has been helping me with this all to go ahead and start removing the injectors (he is home unemployed) so that I wouldn't be on the truck all night.

Well he has already removed the injectors which means the supercharger was the first thing to come off the motor.

And Holy Sh-i-t-t-a!!!!!!!

the intake gasket is split! which would cause a severe vacuum leak! and what has been the symptoms? yup! that is right… a sever vacuum leak.

I am somewhat excited, as I am really thinking/hoping this is the cause.

I know I have felt this way before, but we have also never seen anything so blatantly obvious that was wrong either!

New gasket is being ordered as well as injectors cleaned. (Might as well since they are out of the truck anyway!)

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #81
NwiTACO

I am happy and sad at the same time. I call shotty on some runs in Harlan if it's fixed! I thought you had already checked/replaced that gasket?

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
Old 03-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #82
Bear
Veteran Member

Were you really wanting to tow your truck that badly?

on it being fixed, don't hold your breath yet, just keep your fingers crossed!

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #83
NwiTACO

Naw, just bein me Doesn't really matter. Depending on how much crap we (YOU) have, we may just fit in my truck. Don't know what kinda milage you'd get towing, but I doubt it is better than my crappy milage.

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
Old 03-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #84
tacoma_2002
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2002 Tacoma
Send a message via Yahoo to tacoma_2002

hmmmm....i hate to brag, but......

I Told U So!!!!

2007 Double Cab TRD Taco 4.0 Auto
Silver Streak Metallic
2.5 SAW's, 2.0 Icons rear with Deaver pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyDang View Post
Look at my picture I posted you can see that you may need 2-3 more inches.
tacoma_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #85
Bear
Veteran Member

Remind me sometime to tell you the "evolution of the thought process" of all this mess!

maybe "if" this turns out to be the problem you will understand more of my frustration than the average person.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #86
Bear
Veteran Member

Naw back at you. if the truck is still not fixed, then we will tow your truck with the trailer! I told you we would and I don't break promises.

Besides. you may break something with me riding with you so we will need to get back to Indiana some how anyway!

I have not towed with the tow stroke yet so I need to see what the milage is going to be. so if my truck ain't ready yours will serve as the guinea pig!

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #87
tacoma_2002
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2002 Tacoma
Send a message via Yahoo to tacoma_2002

just glad your actually turning up possibilitys now instead of running blind about the ordeal. I'd be willing to make a wager that thats your issue or at least I hope it is...maybe now you'll be able to sleep at night

2007 Double Cab TRD Taco 4.0 Auto
Silver Streak Metallic
2.5 SAW's, 2.0 Icons rear with Deaver pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyDang View Post
Look at my picture I posted you can see that you may need 2-3 more inches.
tacoma_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #88
Bear
Veteran Member

Life is too short to loose sleep over a truck!

Hell who I am kidding! I think I have put more thought into this damn problem than I have over all other parts of my life!

Now maybe I can start thinking about that deck I promised the misses. LOL

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #89
NwiTACO

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Now maybe I can start thinking about that deck I promised the misses. LOL
I though that was gonna be done a few weekends ago? As I am slowly learning, it is true that you have to keep the misses happy...or nobody's happy...really...I've never had to kiss so much ass in my life!

oh, btw :fingerscrossed: for ya man!

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
Old 03-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #90
Bear
Veteran Member

Oh, the deck is being built, but I just have not had a lot of time to think out the details for it. that is all I am meaning.

and yes, kiss some ass to get some ass!

GO SPURS GO!!!!