I come from Alabama... - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Hoss
Banned

Default I come from Alabama...

I told my (almost) 4-year-old daughter last night that she was born in Alabama, then we moved closer to Gran and Grand-dad when she was a little older.

She said, "Did I have a banjo on my knee?"

Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
hunting-solo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
I told my (almost) 4-year-old daughter last night that she was born in Alabama, then we moved closer to Gran and Grand-dad when she was a little older.

She said, "Did I have a banjo on my knee?"

haha where do kids hear this stuff?? thats too funny dude... hell bama cant be that much of a difference than eastern Tucky right?
hunting-solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Hoss
Banned

I'm in north-western Ky...it's more like So. IL and So. IN.

Plus, I lived in and around B'ham metro for 10years, so it actually is a lot different...but she wouldn't know b/c she was 1 when we moved.

Basically, anything, in her mind, that came from Alabama had a banjo on it's knee to get there, lol.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Topper
Banned

has she started teething yet?
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Hoss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
has she started teething yet?
lol.

Alabama water makes teeth fall out...it doesn't stunt their growth.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Topper
Banned

The same water drank by their great great grandfathers.

Who happen to also be their uncles.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Hoss
Banned

zing!

Seriously, there are still places in Bama (and Mississippi) where they still drink well water, and some places that lack flouride in the running water. That's why you'll see a knock-out 30+ year-old woman who has horrible teeth.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
=ACID RAIN=
Veteran Member

Shit my parents still drink groundwater outside of Brenham, TX.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
06indigoinktaco

where i live we still drink well water. almost everybody does. i personally think that the city water tastes like shit.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Hoss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06indigoinktaco View Post
where i live we still drink well water. almost everybody does. i personally think that the city water tastes like shit.
But do you supplement with fluoride?

When I was a kid they started passing out fluoride wash at school. And I remember that some kid's folks wouldn't sign the damn waiver to get the wash, lol. I was always like, WTF is that about!!?? It's free and you get to keep yer teefs!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
hunting-solo
Banned

Quote:
zing!

Seriously, there are still places in Bama (and Mississippi) where they still drink well water, and some places that lack flouride in the running water. That's why you'll see a knock-out 30+ year-old woman who has horrible teeth.
lots and lots of folks including myself drink well water. i am 31 with NO cavities and all orginal teeth .... the water isnt the reason why they dont have teeth or that they are busted. they just dont brush their teeth and shit... also ingesting flouride is actually pretty bad for you... flouride was supposed to be used topically not ingested. a lot of cities are trying to fight this
Old 02-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
Hoss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by =ACID RAIN= View Post
Shit my parents still drink groundwater outside of Brenham, TX.
I have a buddy in Bama who's grandfather used an outhouse up into the early 90's. This was in Leeds, Alabama...just about 20 miles outta B'ham.

Of course, this is the guy who told the story about his grandfather squatting ON the toilet seat to take a shit and threw the used tp in the trash...not the bowl. I'm about to go on a tangent here, so hang with me...

This old man (and his wife) raised a young boy from within the family who was orpahned early in his life. This was after they got running water and an indoor "bathroom", so some time in the 90's I'm guessing.

My buddy was sent to the bathroom one day to check on the little boy who was obviously having trouble. He said he walked in to find the boy up squatting on the toilet seat, so he asked him WTF he was doing...and that's how he found out how is grampa took a duece. Anyway, the kid was covered in shit, as were the toilet and the walls...and the floor was covered with used TP b/c the trash was full (of more used TP I can only assume).

I dunno, I always thought that story was hillarious...picturing an old, frail man with shaky legs up and squatting on a toilet and trying to wipe his ass is comedic gold, Jerry. GOLD!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
hunting-solo
Banned

Quote:
I have a buddy in Bama who's grandfather used an outhouse up into the early 90's. This was in Leeds, Alabama...just about 20 miles outta B'ham.

Of course, this is the guy who told the story about his grandfather squatting ON the toilet seat to take a shit and threw the used tp in the trash...not the bowl. I'm about to go on a tangent here, so hang with me...

This old man (and his wife) raised a young boy from within the family who was orpahned early in his life. This was after they got running water and an indoor "bathroom", so some time in the 90's I'm guessing.

My buddy was sent to the bathroom one day to check on the little boy who was obviously having trouble. He said he walked in to find the boy up squatting on the toilet seat, so he asked him WTF he was doing...and that's how he found out how is grampa took a duece. Anyway, the kid was covered in shit, as were the toilet and the walls...and the floor was covered with used TP b/c the trash was full (of more used TP I can only assume).

I dunno, I always thought that story was hillarious...picturing an old, frail man with shaky legs up and squatting on a toilet and trying to wipe his ass is comedic gold, Jerry. GOLD!
ew... i have seen autistic children smear shit on the walls and shit on themselves but to have gramps show lil one how to shit like a monkey is fucking priceless... wonder why gramps was so scared to sit instead of squat. he must have had a spider or two bite his ass in his day
Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
Hoss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting-solo View Post
lots and lots of folks including myself drink well water. i am 31 with NO cavities and all orginal teeth .... the water isnt the reason why they dont have teeth or that they are busted. they just dont brush their teeth and shit... also ingesting flouride is actually pretty bad for you... flouride was supposed to be used topically not ingested. a lot of cities are trying to fight this
No, it really is the water. They talk about this all the time down there as it's a pretty big issue. Blount county especially.

Cmon, now. You don't really believe that a whole county of toothless people are simply neglecting oral hygiene when the one thing they have in common is the lack of fluoride in the well-water.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
hunting-solo
Banned

Quote:
No, it really is the water. They talk about this all the time down there as it's a pretty big issue. Blount county especially.

Cmon, now. You don't really believe that a whole county of toothless people are simply neglecting oral hygiene when the one thing they have in common is the lack of fluoride in the well-water.
is there high amounts of sulfur in the water or something? alabama is one of the poorest states in the union. it doesnt surprise me when a rural county is filled with toothless folks who do not know proper hygein or even care for that matter. we have those here in NC as well.. cant blame the water until an analysis is done. i still say its lack of education in hygein and just poor folks spending their money on something else. i never drink city water and i have NO cavities. my lil bro is the same.. send them some fucking toothpaste so they can save their last tooth
Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #16
MissFJ

I know people who grew up in Penn. and Cali. without flouride in their water. They brushed their teeth like good little kids and their enamel is not pretty. All because they lived in rural areas without flouride.

And if you think the South is bad...visit Ireland someday!

not a build thread
MissFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
hunting-solo
Banned

i dont want fluoride in my water... flouride is on USA's most poisonous list. bet you didnt know that... it was supposed to be only used as a topical not ingested.. i know they only use a tiny amount in city water but i dont want to drink something that is illegal to dump on american soil.... give me an ointment instead

edit--- i have a good friend who does volunteer dental work for poor folks in rural counties in NC, Va and WV and she said the lack of flouride in the water is a very minute reason.. so i asked why is it? she said that the poor folks are addicted to sodas like Mtn Dew and etc.. they have horrible eating habits and they neglect their teeth. i believe her
Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #18
Topper
Banned

Quote:
i dont want fluoride in my water... flouride is on USA's most poisonous list. bet you didnt know that... it was supposed to be only used as a topical not ingested.. i know they only use a tiny amount in city water but i dont want to drink something that is illegal to dump on american soil.... give me an ointment instead

edit--- i have a good friend who does volunteer dental work for poor folks in rural counties in NC, Va and WV and she said the lack of flouride in the water is a very minute reason.. so i asked why is it? she said that the poor folks are addicted to sodas like Mtn Dew and etc.. they have horrible eating habits and they neglect their teeth. i believe her
But what does that have to do with banjo playing in Alabama?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #19
Hoss
Banned

So, only folks from rural areas get Mt. Dew mouth, have bad diets and poor dental hygiene?

Cmon, man. What's the one common factor all those areas have? You don't think people in large cities have the same issues? They just have access to fluoride, whether it be ingested or otherwise.

There is a reason they made us use it as kids in school. It was a mouth wash, and you spit it out after a minute. I'm sure it's concentration level in that spit cup is far higher than that of municiple water that has been fortified.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #20
Hoss
Banned

Quote:
is there high amounts of sulfur in the water or something? alabama is one of the poorest states in the union. it doesnt surprise me when a rural county is filled with toothless folks who do not know proper hygein or even care for that matter. we have those here in NC as well.. cant blame the water until an analysis is done. i still say its lack of education in hygein and just poor folks spending their money on something else. i never drink city water and i have NO cavities. my lil bro is the same.. send them some fucking toothpaste so they can save their last tooth
Sulfer or some other substance could be a problem, yes.

You could just have really good teeth.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #21
Hoss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
But what does that have to do with banjo playing in Alabama?
somebody has to whistle as we could only afford one instrument.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #22
hunting-solo
Banned

Quote:
So, only folks from rural areas get Mt. Dew mouth, have bad diets and poor dental hygiene?

Cmon, man. What's the one common factor all those areas have? You don't think people in large cities have the same issues? They just have access to fluoride, whether it be ingested or otherwise.

There is a reason they made us use it as kids in school. It was a mouth wash, and you spit it out after a minute. I'm sure it's concentration level in that spit cup is far higher than that of municiple water that has been fortified.
no it was from their research, they have the folks fill out questionaires and shit and over the 10+ years of doing it this is what she saw.... sure city folks have that as well but you really think a very very small amount of flouride in city water will make that much of a difference?? i dont think so.. she even said that as well.. i asked " you think flouride in city water will help" she said HELL NO.. i thought that was funny... anyway, i do have good teeth. use crest and drink milk whether or not the shit in city water really works doesnt matter if you dont take care of your teeth to begin with.. crappy city water wont help much imo...
Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #23
Hoss
Banned

Crest is fortified with...wait for it...

fluoride.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
hunting-solo
Banned

Quote:

fluoride.
you swallow?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #25
Hoss
Banned

just for the taste...not b/c I'm a masochist.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #26
MissFJ

Diane Sawyer is your friend too??? I just wanted that 20/20 episode a week ago. Good ole Mountain Dew Mouth. You're right, flouride will not cure them
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6899312&page=1

not a build thread
Old 02-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #27
Mr Tacomi
Veteran Member

Quote:

fluoride.
...which is why it doesn't need to be in the water! My local municipal water system doesn't add flouride to our water... and I'm about as far from Alabama as yous can get without leaving continental usofa.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #28
Mr Tacomi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFJ View Post
Diane Sawyer is your friend too??? I just wanted that 20/20 episode a week ago. Good ole Mountain Dew Mouth. You're right, flouride will not cure them
hey Amanda!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #29
MissFJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tacomi View Post
...which is why it doesn't need to be in the water! My local municipal water system doesn't add flouride to our water... and I'm about as far from Alabama as yous can get without leaving continental usofa.
How white are your teeth?

and did you hear about Napa's water over the weekend?? picked the wrong weekend to visit pops!

ps. Napa Valley gets a natrual dose of flouride and they don't need to add much to it to bring it to state recommendations. It isn't about the "poison" it's about the $$$

not a build thread
Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #30
hunting-solo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFJ View Post
damn.. didnt see that but it makes sense.. my friend preaches that stuff too.. she brought back some pics of some folks teeth. there was a 12 year old whose teeth were rotted black and green. the green around the gum lines was insane. i thought it was a pic of a 50 yr old's mouth....

my friend also said that they supply these kids with big bags of toothpaste and toothbrushes, wanna know what they do with them in the parking lot after the visit? they trade it for cash, drugs or whiskey... go figure... hell even the kids were trading their brushes and shit in the parking lot.. let em rot