Road trip wheelin. - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > New Members Area > Lets Talk About Wheelin!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Watermin71

Default Road trip wheelin.

Hey guys, I'm going to be taking a road trip in May from east coast to west coast, on the way out there taking a southerly route (AL, MS,LA,TX, NM, AZ, CA) and on the way back a northerly route (NV,UT,WY,MT,ND). Any suggestions on must go places with my Taco; off the beaton path type stuff, like trails, desert driving, Taco gatherings etc. Nothin to crazy, I have an 09 stock OR. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
extremepaint
Veteran Member

id throw colorado in your list, wyoming and montana are good for nothing but yellow stone and corn
extremepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
RedRunnertc
Veteran Member

Just check out the chapter forums, maybe post up when you'll be coming through and people can plan around it.

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'96 Impala SS - my own personal cop car

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
RedRunnertc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
DocS98

Crater of the moon, moab, death valley. Thanks

If I had this all to do over I would have done something like what is being discussed and stuck with IFS.
DocS98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
indebound

check out expeditionportal.com. I'm planning on doing this same type of trip and am finding a lot of helpful bits of information here.
Andy's Sliders
indebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
DocS98

Monument Valley. Thanks

If I had this all to do over I would have done something like what is being discussed and stuck with IFS.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Irish_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremepaint View Post
id throw colorado in your list, wyoming and montana are good for nothing but yellow stone and corn
I beg to differ, Montana has some sweet views and nice rivers. Eastern Montana sucks though, I'd drive right through to the Missoula area and forget the eastern part, haha
Irish_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
equin
Veteran Member

If you'll be coming through northeast TX on I-20 or I-30, check out Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area in Gilmer, TX (about 2 hours east of Dallas). It's a private 1800-acre ORV park.

If you'll be coming through southeast TX on I-10, I believe Spring Creek is near the Houston area. Check out the TX TTORA chapter forum for more info on TX off-roading. Most of Texas is privately-owned, though, so you'll have to settle for relatively small, pay-as-you-play ORV parks.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:11 AM   #9
Watermin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremepaint View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_11 View Post
I beg to differ, Montana has some sweet views and nice rivers. Eastern Montana sucks though, I'd drive right through to the Missoula area and forget the eastern part, haha
I agree with Irish 11 here, Western WY and MN are amazing. I have a buddies that that live in Jackson Hole and Missoula, both are going to be stopping points. And I will go through Colorado as well, guess i forgot to throw that in there.

I'm also going through WV and TN (Smokey Mountains to Nashville)

Thanks for all the input, please keep it coming. I'm taking notes...
Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
RedRunnertc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermin71 View Post
I have a buddies that that live in Jackson Hole and Missoula, both are going to be stopping points.
Colorado will be considerably out of your way then.

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'96 Impala SS - my own personal cop car

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
RedRunnertc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
DocS98

Something to keep in mind. It doesn't sound like you do this very often so.....Plan your route and prioritize the sights or places you want/need to see. The reason for this is there is a very good chance at some point in the trip you will run out of time/energy/money/or the quest to see anything new. When that happens you will have the urge to dead head to your destination and you might miss the #1 thing on your list. Just something to keep in mind. Thanks

Old 03-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
rader
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermin71 View Post
I agree with Irish 11 here, Western WY and MN are amazing. I have a buddies that that live in Jackson Hole and Missoula, both are going to be stopping points. And I will go through Colorado as well, guess i forgot to throw that in there.

I'm also going through WV and TN (Smokey Mountains to Nashville)

Thanks for all the input, please keep it coming. I'm taking notes...

How long is your vacation??? driving in the west eats up days like you can not imagine. We spent close to a month once going to National Parks, National Monuments and points of interest in Colorado, the desert south west, northern Mexico, and California. We ran out of time, before we could see all we had planed to see, and we started out in Montana. You could spend a month in each of the western states and only scratch the surface, so carefully target spots you want to visit.

I travel extensively and have been to all the states you mention. If I was driving from Pennsylvania west, I would stick with the freeways or fastest routes and drive day and night until I got to West Texas. You can see the East and Midwest on shorter vacations and long weekends.

Be sure and take the southern route on your way out because, the rockies mountains and high elevation in May, can mean snow, no leaves on trees, and not even a new blade of green grass (except) in towns and roads in the valleys. At my house we can have significant snow fall until mid June (6,200ft. elev) in plain words, the weather until mid June can be shitty in the mountains.

If you make it to Montana, and the snow in the high country clears early this year, be sure and see Glacier Park and Many Glaciers, in Montana and Waterton Lakes Park just North of Glacier in Alberta. Also when you drive through Yellowstone be sure and drive the "Bear Tooth Highway" on your exit or entrance,depending on your route.

If your time is not limited on the return trip, and if you don't mind traffic, AND haven't already O.D.ed on mountains. I would forget ND. and drop down to Colorado it has great scenery.

Check out the links for Montana info, and be SURE and check out the slide show of 74 photos of clearing the snow on the "Going to the sun highway" in May and June.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/photosmultim...lowing2008.htm
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/byway/mt_beart.htm
http://visitmt.com/regions_towns/
rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
cajun65

If you come along I-20 through Louisiana en route to Gilmer, TX as someone above said (Barnwell Mountain), you can stop in at Catahoula Recreation ORV in Sicily Island, LA ('bout an hour south of Monroe). Email us at info@bslca.com to let us know when you're coming through. If you roll along I-10 in south Louisiana, you can forget trail riding but we can take you to some scenic bayou country eateries with the Bayou State Land Cruiser Gang. Holler at us.

Marty
cajun65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
Watermin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader View Post
How long is your vacation???

I travel extensively and have been to all the states you mention. If I was driving from Pennsylvania west, I would stick with the freeways or fastest routes and drive day and night until I got to West Texas. You can see the East and Midwest on shorter vacations and long weekends.

Be sure and take the southern route on your way out because, the rockies mountains and high elevation in May, can mean snow, no leaves on trees, and not even a new blade of green grass (except) in towns and roads in the valleys. At my house we can have significant snow fall until mid June (6,200ft. elev) in plain words, the weather until mid June can be shitty in the mountains.

I'm planning on the trip being 3-4 weeks long. Good point about by-passing the east, especially since I'v been in the Smokey Mountians and surrounding area already. I am a pretty extensive traveler but never taken on a month long cross country road trip. I'm super stoked, but beginning to see I needed more time to plan ha, thats cool though I want it to be sorta spontanious. Those links were crazy, I can't believe they were clearing that much snow in June!!!!

I'm thinking now.... (skeleton online of first 3/4 of trip) stream linning to my friend in Tucson AZ, hiking there for a couple of days. Then to a friend in Southern Cal, surfing for a couple of days. Then headed north to a friend in Jackson and on the way hitting the White Rim Trail in Moab... Planning still in progress, I would like to do and see more between So Cal and WY. Then I'll go from Jackson to Colorado... that's where is trails off. My cousin might be flying out to the Denver airport to come along for the last leg of the trip. I'd like to take him on a trail, but it's gonna be kinda out of the way being that from Denver east looks flat...I can't just take 70 east and go home...hmm...
Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
rader
Veteran Member

That sounds like a good plan, you might want to see everything you can in the Southwest and save the North for sometime that you can make a summer trip. It's only about a 20 hour drive west for you to the Badlands in SD, that's where the west really begins on the northern route. Be sure and ask the members in the states you will spend the bulk of your time in what to see in their area.

More about the weather, even in Yellowstone some roads are closed till Memorial day weekend. Be sure and check with the guys in Colorado to be sure on what they have open in May. The link below is The Bear Tooth Just north of Yellowstone in the spring look at the dates and snow. The pictures below are Feb, July4, mid August, and September the picture on the fourth of July is a trail that was still closed by snow drifts on north slopes a week earlier.
http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/beartooth/opening.shtml

rader is offline   Reply With Quote