3.4/ext cab swap - Page 2 - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > By State > Colorado > Extreme Mods & Wheeling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #31
Gerdo
Veteran Member

Lookin cool.

3rd gen 4runner fuel tank skidplates http://lilskipsoffroad.wordpress.com/
Gerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #32
poorboyota26
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to poorboyota26

how does this work with the original title? Ha I could see it now. Sir step out of the vehicle. why do you have the plates for a white reg cab on a black excab?

Uh I swapped it.

sure you're going to jail till we figure this out.

lol
Dreams of owning a fzj80, fj60, fj45 troopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
Yea, 2 days later and I still feel like a sack of assholes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Leary ExPo
Years from now, when we are dead and gone... the roaches will be driving little Toyotas with 3.4s.
poorboyota26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #33
Avsfreak1234
Veteran Member

My Rig: 98 Taco, 35s n Stuff

hey nate, it running yet? hows that power steering?
Avsfreak1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #34
Lysmachia
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia

Yeah that was pretty wild doing all that in one day. I can;t wait to see this thing on the road!

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
Lysmachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #35
RedRunnertc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyota26 View Post
how does this work with the original title? Ha I could see it now. Sir step out of the vehicle. why do you have the plates for a white reg cab on a black excab?

Uh I swapped it.

lol
LOL - no, wait, see it matches the VIN on the frame ... oh shit, that's ground away from the tire rub ... OK, I'll go quietly

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'96 Impala SS - my own personal cop car

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
RedRunnertc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #36
Quick Draw
Veteran Member

My Rig: DORIS

Haha I can't believe these guys get so much done so quick. When I was there everybody was just standing around BSing...
Old 04-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #37
vwfastg60
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to vwfastg60

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyota26 View Post

Uh I swapped it.

lol
So with a cab swap all the vins are moved. so the original title is held. When i buy cabs at the yard i deal with they are not titled most have vins removed and kept with the yards records i was told.

So say he was doing a frame swap the truck would either get Stamped with the new vin if titled different then it would wind up on record as having a frame swap and most of the time be salvage title with that much damage.

As for color when i checked in to this with my truck going from Gray to white they said to come in and you pay a small fee for them to go in the records and change it. because my plates are due before i can drive mine it will be easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
Haha I can't believe these guys get so much done so quick. When I was there everybody was just standing around BSing...
We work really hard get a shit ton done and have a brake...you caught us when it was time to eat/ girl from the house came out so work stops. Im home and nate should be in a sec but the truck left with him....I will let him update the details tho. I got the wiring done out back so there is no slack and everything is mounted and wont hang. The tank stuff is going to need more line fab so hes going to do that at the shop i believe. Other then that the truck is washed and finished as far as what was planned on going down at the shop. The bay cleaned up nice.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #38
00regcab
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab

Change is easy, they wont look at the motor, and on registration/title it just says '2000 Toyota Tacoma, White' So i just go into the DMV and tell them i painted the truck and it is now black, and have them update it.

All the vin transfer paperwork is being taken care of by my boss at work, it'll be done legit and 100% hassle free.

Today we didnt get much done, but still we got A LOT done in the time frame it was worked on.

Friday 3pm - my truck drove into the shop
Friday 11pm - my truck stripped, and the 3.4 mounts located/tacked into place
Saturday 11am - 3.4 mounts welded, tops of sliders welded, 3.4 bolted in
Saturday 10pm - cab on, floor cut, everything in the bay hooked up, rear cab mounts located
Sunday 1pm - cab mounts welded up
Sunday 10pm - brakes bled, rear wiring tied up... still no fuel tank (have to cut the lines, no way around it)

Jay, the ps lines leaked like a mother fucker without pressure even in them. Just from putting atf in them. Easy fix though, the threads were a little dirty so they were hard to spin (tight already), but not all the way into the rack. It took me about half an hour at 1/8th turn at a time to get both all the way in. Now they do not leak.

3.4 still doesnt run (due to gas tank issue), tomorrow after work i'm going to get the lines cut/flared, and pick up some fuel line so the tank can go up in. After thats done, the truck should run on its own umph.

Tuesday i'll start on the floor pan, getting it plated up while one of the techs i work with starts tubing the cab corners accordingly.

Wednesday i'll probably have to go get my car from denver so i can get the speakers and shit out of it to put behind the panels, so thursday the interior will go back in and we'll probably start on the bed.

I'll keep everyone updated with progress as it moves along though. So far, I'm happy with what has been done in a total of about 30 working hours. As a shop would of charged well over 150+ labor hours to do this job.
00regcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 AM   #39
vwfastg60
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to vwfastg60

can you email me the rest of those pics nate?

vwfastg60 at yahoo dot com.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #40
mrdoug
Veteran Member

My Rig: 3.4 swapped 85 xcab

Those P/S lines were a bitch. Sorry we didn't get them completely tight. I thought Jay was down there with the wrench taking care of that.

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
mrdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #41
AxleIke
Veteran Member

Nate, I love it. Just plain original, and you know how big a fan I am of thinking outside the box. Absolutely top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
done in a total of about 30 working hours. As a shop would of charged well over 150+ labor hours to do this job.
This I don't buy. The shop quote, yes, but your estimate, no. In the one pic, I saw at least 4 people.

Now, I'm sure everyone wasn't working 100% of the time, but if you have 4 people working for one hour, that is four hours worth of work, which is how the shop will bill it. 30 hours with that many people would mean you got it done in about 8 hours actual time. Less if there were more people.

I'm by no means diminishing your accomplishment. It is damn impressive regardless. Just busting your chops a bit, you know, because its fun!
AxleIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #42
Avsfreak1234
Veteran Member

nice work nate! if you dont have it finished by this weekend i could give you a hand again if you need it.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #43
Avsfreak1234
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
Those P/S lines were a bitch. Sorry we didn't get them completely tight. I thought Jay was down there with the wrench taking care of that.
i was, and i did. i thought. but aparently by the time my wrist gave out they still werent tight. as long as you got them now!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #44
4Runner2020

are you still going to keep your 5.29 gears? i think you might be quite a bit over-geared now for your skinny 33's. (i know they measure out a little taller but...)
Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #45
Avsfreak1234
Veteran Member

we just swapped bodies and engines. axles under his frame stayed.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #46
ike
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1999 tacoma

He plans on keeping the 5.29's

I like goats

87 cherocar
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #47
Quick Draw
Veteran Member

My Rig: DORIS

I think he should start cutting fenders. And if not that, suspension and fenders.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #48
RedRunnertc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsfreak1234 View Post
i was, and i did. i thought. but aparently by the time my wrist gave out they still werent tight. as long as you got them now!
I would think your wrists would be mighty strong by now

Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #49
Avsfreak1234
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
I would think your wrists would be mighty strong by now
i dont last long enough to build up much strenght.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #50
00regcab
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Nate, I love it. Just plain original, and you know how big a fan I am of thinking outside the box. Absolutely top notch.

This I don't buy. The shop quote, yes, but your estimate, no. In the one pic, I saw at least 4 people.

Now, I'm sure everyone wasn't working 100% of the time, but if you have 4 people working for one hour, that is four hours worth of work, which is how the shop will bill it. 30 hours with that many people would mean you got it done in about 8 hours actual time. Less if there were more people.

I'm by no means diminishing your accomplishment. It is damn impressive regardless. Just busting your chops a bit, you know, because its fun!
Saturday was the only day we had people, it was just russel/me until doug showed up friday night, then russ left and it was just doug and i. Saturday we mainly just needed the bodies to maneuver the cab onto the frame correctly. We did get alot done, yes. Even with more people, we still got to that point in 30 hours, no matter how you slice it! Mr. diminish my accomplishments lol j/k

LOL @ the 5.29 comment (its just funny because i've already had about 20 PM's with people either telling me "thats way too much" or people trying to buy my 5.29's). But, yes i do plan to keep them. I was over geared with them when i had the 2.7, so it'll be no major change... The way i look at it; so what?? I have to stay 10mph slower than everyone else on the highway, and take an extra hour or so getting somewhere (long distance), but i can still go a lot slower on the trail than those who are not geared. I like my 5.29's, most of my driving is city. Literally, i commute 3 miles each way to work each day. They're also great at altitude (eisenhower, vail, etc.)

I was just bustin Jay's balls (or lack there of? ) for not getting the PS lines tight, it really was no big deal. I also found some connectors/plugs that were not plugged in, in the engine bay. But again, its not big deal, its just part of the mayhem

Todays update ----

Hard lines have been cut back and re-flared (double flared again), so tomorrow i'll get soft line and hose clamps. Then get the tank mocked up, speaking of which. Anybody have a 3.4 gas tank strap? (front one)... or doug, when are you getting kyles truck? If its soon, i could really use that strap.

After brainstorming ideas with the two techs at work, we decided to just go ahead and chop the entire floor pan. Whats in store is completely custom, and is going to be killer IMO. We'll be starting on it tomorrow after work, i'll be sure to snag a few pics of what we get done.

Got misc odds/ends hooked up; e-brake cable, bled the clutch, adjusted the door, adjusted throttle cable/cruise control, organized a bunch of shit.

Also, i think while my interior is torn apart, im going to do the ole bicycle brake lever on the shifter for throttle control, just so i can set throttle @ idle-1500rpm without having to work the gas with my foot. Has anybody seen any sort of how-to/write up on this? I'm going to be looking this evening, but if you know of one, link it!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #51
Avsfreak1234
Veteran Member

by whole floorpan u mean firewall back?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #52
00regcab
Veteran Member

ehh not quite that far....

basically, the square section from the horse collar to the rear cab panel, between the frame rails has all been cut out now. Going to re-work all of it, for some nice custom storage compartments, and plenty of clearance over the gas tank, along with an access panel to the fuel pump from the interior (so if the pump ever shits, or lines ever break, i dont have to drop the tank)
Old 04-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #53
RedRunnertc
Veteran Member

Poorboy just did a hand throttle

Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #54
RedRunnertc
Veteran Member

I seem to recall someone suggesting that ... along with a 1" body lift.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #55
00regcab
Veteran Member

Meh, body lift shmody lift..... or something like that lol. The way this is getting worked now, is going to be great... i'll be a lot more happy with it, than with a body lift.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #56
thefatkid
Veteran Member

My Rig: Your Mom

Why not chop off the body mounts and move it up 1". A body lift without the pucks. I did this when I did a extra cab swap (back in the day, 99). It was not worth the effort, 1" pucks will work great.

Could you build a better fuel tank? Rather then cut your floor?

1983 Hilux, nuff said
thefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #57
mrdoug
Veteran Member

My Rig: 3.4 swapped 85 xcab

rear box with top for shelf and storage underneath is the best idea! I'm thinking of doing the same in the back of my 85. Access panel to the top of the tank (like the runners) is excellent!

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
mrdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #58
00regcab
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
Why not chop off the body mounts and move it up 1". A body lift without the pucks. I did this when I did a extra cab swap (back in the day, 99). It was not worth the effort, 1" pucks will work great.

Could you build a better fuel tank? Rather then cut your floor?
cant build a tank because i have to be emissions legal, plus my floor is already demolished

The system i have in store is going to look good IMO.

Its hard to describe, so i'll just let the pictures do the talking as it gets done.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #59
00regcab
Veteran Member

Heres more pics.

Theres a bunch more, but i'll get around to those shortly.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #60
packrat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
Thanks for the comments.

I plan to keep the black, and just re-paint the bed black after i shorten up the front.

Kyle, i feel the same. With how this thing looks i feel it should be bigger (sas, 35's-37's etc.).

Isaac, I disagree with the tube bed. If i was bigger (sas, etc.) i would be all over a tube bed. But with how small the truck still is, i want it to look OEM. Like it came from Toyota this way.

Edit: Never mind, the new pics show your wheelbase is too short, You'd probably have to modify the short bed too. Are you going to turn the cab corner into a wheel opening?
Your truck's moving along fast! Holy smokes.

It looks like your wheel base is too small for the shortbed of the doublecab, but if it would work, I still have mine sitting around. If it fits, it would save you a bunch of work cutting up your bed. Let me know if you are interested. Its pristine with flares, tailgate, everything, even rhino lined.
http://photobucket.com/packrat_evolution
packrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote