utility trailer wood replacement ???? - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
tercel89

Default utility trailer wood replacement ????

I have a utility trailer thats 5ft X 10ft . The wood floor , which are 2X8 pieces of wood have rotted and I want to replace them .
I see that I can cut the welds on a piece of steel that holds the wood in there , but is there another way ?
My brother read that some people cut out the wood and then take new wood and then slide them in at an angle until the last 2 , then they use a floor jack and bend the last 2 in . That seems kinda crazy .
I am trying to get past cutting the weld , but I may have to do that , I thought about cutting the weld of the beam of steal , removing the wood , then sliding in good wood and the instead of re-welding the steal beam , we would use bolts drilled though them to hold it in place .
Any ideas ? Thanks in advance .

Anti-seize grease is your friend

"We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye"
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
tacundra

I cut the steel last time I ran into that. Was not much of a prob since I had the welding and cutting machinery right there.
tacundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
tacotoy
Dun DUn DUN!

cut the L as a notch that is big enough to pull the boards out 1x1 and then put them back in the same way. bolt the last board and youre done....

at least i think that would work??? and your only cutting about 8 inches of steel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
"don't drink and park, accidents cause people!"
tacotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
KANEMAN23
Veteran Member

My Father gave me one a couple of years ago that was rotted out as well. I cut the bracket welds w\my cutoff wheel and fit new boards. Since I don't have welding skills I drilled 3/8in holes and used bolts to hold the bracket in place. It's worked great so far and the next time I replace the boards I only have to unbolt that bracket.
KANEMAN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Mr Tacomi
Veteran Member

Remember that the boards need to float... they shrink and expand with the moisture... I'm always amazed at the amount of gaps, and concerned in winter with how tight the boards get when rain swollen. If you cut off the metal so you can replace the boards, make sure you bolt down the metal parts only if you're gonna go 'bolt-on'-don't bolt the boards down. I had a friend help me cut a section out, we replaced all the boards, then he welded the section back in. I used treated lumber, but the boards that came with the trailer were 10+ years old, so even if I had to pay a welder to do this, well worth it for me.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
hurley994

Send a message via Yahoo to hurley994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tacomi View Post
Remember that the boards need to float... they shrink and expand with the moisture... I'm always amazed at the amount of gaps, and concerned in winter with how tight the boards get when rain swollen. If you cut off the metal so you can replace the boards, make sure you bolt down the metal parts only if you're gonna go 'bolt-on'-don't bolt the boards down. I had a friend help me cut a section out, we replaced all the boards, then he welded the section back in. I used treated lumber, but the boards that came with the trailer were 10+ years old, so even if I had to pay a welder to do this, well worth it for me.
X2
Im not sure how many local members you have near you in TN but its usually not hard to find someone with some welding skills that can help ya out.
hurley994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
tercel89

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANEMAN23 View Post
My Father gave me one a couple of years ago that was rotted out as well. I cut the bracket welds w\my cutoff wheel and fit new boards. Since I don't have welding skills I drilled 3/8in holes and used bolts to hold the bracket in place. It's worked great so far and the next time I replace the boards I only have to unbolt that bracket.
I think thats my way to go . Thanks soo much Kaneman .

Anti-seize grease is your friend

"We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye"
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote