4Runner spare tire carrier on a Tacoma - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > By State > SoCal > Modifications/Protection
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
pray4surf
Just another newb....

Question 4Runner spare tire carrier on a Tacoma

Anyone ever considered this? What are the chances?

SoCal TTORA Forum

SoCal TTORA Website

Last edited by pray4surf; 05-27-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Remove dead hyperlink
pray4surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
Scuba
Veteran Member

Dude I've heard about a couple people doing it on the older pickups. But IIRC the 4Runner's with those on them had some sort of special bracing behind the actual sheet metal..

Id say go for it though, I actually saw that ad, and considered it for a sec cause it is pretty close, but decided it was more work then worth.

It would be kool to tie it into your rear bumper somehow, But then of course a welder would be needed..
Old 05-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
pray4surf
Just another newb....

Well, the tire carrier is in my possession. I'm pretty impressed with the 'external' fit of the rack to the bed corner. Yes, it will require some internal reinforcement. Willia described the bracing on the 4Runners.

It'll take some work, but it is not a project that I'm under any rush to address/complete. If anyone stumbles across any writeups on this mod, I'd appreciate being informed...

If not, I can always resell it on a 4Runner board or further modify it to mount to a rear bumper.

For what I paid for it, I can't go wrong...

Rick

SoCal TTORA Forum

SoCal TTORA Website
Old 05-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
pray4surf
Just another newb....

Found a few threads over at Yotatech, including someone currently in the process of doing the exact same thing - It's all in the fabwork
Old 05-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
sparky
SoCal President

My Rig: '04 Tacoma

This looks like a good project!! I was planning on trying to do the same thing had I kept my camper shell. But, the more you wheel, the more you get to look at your truck in a different light. Hope the fab work goes smoothly.
sparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
pray4surf
Just another newb....

Have had plenty of time to let the mind wander on getting this installed.

I think the biggest issue is the lack of body rigidity on the pickups. The 4Runners are much more rigid as the body forms a 'box' - whereas the pickups are only a "U" shape. I believe that I can compensate for this lack of rigidity by fabricating/installing some bed stiffeners and fabricate/install a bedbar.

The writeup I linked to earlier showed a fabricated internal brace. I'm thinking that if I can address the structural rigidity 'externally', all that is needed internally is large area washers (or something similar) to prevent the fasteners from pulling through.

With the passenger side tailight removed, I have plenty of access to the backside of the sheetmetal corners. Which would negate the need to weld nuts to the internal brace/stiffener..

Thoughts? comments? concerns? - let me have them....

Edited: Thought I had previously posted up some links
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/4runner-s...tacoma-168598/
http://www.yotatech.com/f116/retrofi...arrier-155857/

SoCal TTORA Forum

SoCal TTORA Website
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
DennisDawg
Browns Fan on Dirt!

Personally, I wouldn’t do it. The area of the bed around the tail light is going to be weak. You might reinforce it enough for maybe being OK on the road, but off road, the forces can be huge on the mounting areas. More so with larger tires. It might survive the trip and then fall off on the freeway on the way home. Imagine the surprise of the guy behind you!

It is at that point it becomes a real safety issue and one you maybe should not mess with. You want that spare 100% secure. You might be better off with a good bumper and a swing out mount on that, such as those Demello could likely provide. Way better then some makeshit approach if you ask me.
DennisDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
ShowStop
Member Dismemberer

My Rig: 95.5 Tacoma
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop

I agree with Dennis. Unless its tied into a bumper and well built, or one of those angled bed mounts, I'd avoid installing anything else. I've even seen tire carriers built to replace the tailgate fail since the hinges and bed sides couldn't handle the stress.
ShowStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
pray4surf
Just another newb....

61031 EXTENSION SUB-ASSY, QUARTER PANEL, REAR LOWER RH
61031-89101 RN13*, VZN13*..JPP 1 $316.14
61031-89102 VZN13*..JPP; W(10.5R15 7JJ TIRE) 1 $316.14
61031-89102 VZN13*..JPP; W(10.5R15 7JJ TIRE) 1 $316.14

Come on! this IS doable - I hear you guys, but have I done anything to lead you to think I couldn't do this?

Believe me - I'm not just going to slap this on and call it good

So, let's think positively, Now that you got the "Nope, don't do it" out of the system. How would YOU go about reinforcing the taco to accept this? And I'm not just talking about getting that sub-assy part above. The truck is going to have to have the entire rear of the bed braced...

Rick

SoCal TTORA Forum

SoCal TTORA Website
Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
pray4surf
Just another newb....

For example, here's one thought...

The tire carrier has two hinges. These two hinges share a common rotational axis. IE the hinge pins are in alignment. Extend the lower hinge pin to the bumper. Properly install/reinforce the joint by penetrating both plates of the bumper, welding the hingepin to the bumper in four places. Then adding gussets as needed. Basically, the bumper would then be bearing the brunt of the weight/forces.

This is one of the more drastic approaches, and I wonder about the mounting the carrier to both the body and the bumper

SoCal TTORA Forum

SoCal TTORA Website
Old 06-03-2009, 02:52 AM   #11
sparky
SoCal President

My Rig: '04 Tacoma

Seeing that you'll never have opposing forces from either. . . . . . the idea of mounting the carrier to both the bed and bumper doesn't sound bad. Scratch that. . . . I just thought about situations where your departure angle could have you dragging your bumper, therefore pushing the carrier up slightly causing some damage where you plan to mount it to the bed. But, if in all the years you've been out on the trail you have yet to experience that. . . . refer to my first statement.
sparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #12
BLACKHAWK250
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BLACKHAWK250

fab up a bumper to attach it with?? I would really look into that if i was you
BLACKHAWK250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
pray4surf
Just another newb....

OK, step one is done - a bed bar that ties the top of the R&L bed rails together

Hooked up with Brian (Beefed Taco) on this and other forums. And while we had the welder out, the CBI frame plates are finally installed

Ready to tack on the pass side barrel nut tabs. Used an extra long bolt during fab.

Welding on the frame plates

That's Brians little taquito on the right

Rick

Additional pics

SoCal TTORA Forum

SoCal TTORA Website

Last edited by pray4surf; 07-16-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
Scuba
Veteran Member

Looks tite !! Cant wait to see it at BB again !!