35's on 3" (I have searched alot) - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Late Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Luke WL.

Default 35's on 3" (I have searched alot)

ok ok ok, I know tahoetacoma (I think thats his name) has the 35 MT's on his with camburg and a leaf pack... I emailed him but he has not had a chance to wheel with his setup yet. I want to know, with my cab mount cut, allpro bumper, SAW coilovers, some fender trimming (dont want to cut sheet metal) will I be able to run 35's without rubbing at full stuff? I DO wheel my ride pretty hard, and the added clearance with the 35's would be great. Please none of the 'it wont work because everyone says so'. I would like some input from someone who has TRIED this. Thank you very much.
Luke WL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
freeze
Veteran Member

Perhaps Sarah could add her thoughts as she's been running 35's without the Long Travel and with the Long Travel.
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad
All-Pro Bumper-skids-Sliders-Long Travel-3" Leafs/Fox 2.5 F&R/T-Max 10000/LF 240/MTZ

1981 Toyota Truck Sr5
Marlin 4"-crossover-4.7-TrannyHD-front&rear tube bumper/Warn 9000/5.29HP ARB f/5.29 ARB r/Champion Beads/MTR
freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
GOT COPE?
Big tars, little bed.

My Rig: 2000 Taco
Send a message via AIM to GOT COPE?

subscribed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotaoffroad27 View Post
I think Colin just rides around looking for a good photo op.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlrunner View Post
Blatent abuse of power ... but funny ... carry on ...
BRC since 2006www.sharetrails.org
TLCA #15854 www.tlca.org
SFWDA since 2005 www.sfwda.org
GOT COPE? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Hilux_MAX
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT COPE? View Post
subscribed.
me too....
Hilux_MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
fire931
Veteran Member

haha.... funny you should ask this question. i was just out laying in the driveway looking at mine trying to visualize what would have to be cut to clear 35's at full stuff. i know my 285's already required a good bit of trimming to make them completely clear so i can only imagine what 35's would take. my guess is you would have to do a small tub to the corner of the firewall... and have the body mount trimmed to the max. then do some fender and fender flare trimming on the rear to make it work at full stuff and full lock.

kevin@armortechoffroad.com
540-784-0197
fire931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
mpower
Veteran Member

no...
King Shock Servicing
Yorba Linda , CA 951-217-4947

http://definedengineering.com

2005 tacoma access 4wd sport
getting to be too much to list!!

"I didn't fail 3,000 times. I found 3,000 ways how not to create a lightbulb"-Thomas Edison

"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something."- Plato
mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
allpro
Veteran Member
TTORA GOLD Sponsor

My Rig: '08 Taco

With your current set-up you will not be able to run 35s without taking off the front fender flares and cutting some of the fender itself back along the backside of the wheel opening. Now, if you went with our long travel kit, you will still need to do the body mount chop, do some plastic trimming, and run bumpstops, but well worth it for the added ground clearance you get with 35s!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
fire931
Veteran Member

i'll take one.. just go ahead and ship it on over....

kevin@armortechoffroad.com
540-784-0197
fire931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Hilux_MAX
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
With your current set-up you will not be able to run 35s without taking off the front fender flares and cutting some of the fender itself back along the backside of the wheel opening. Now, if you went with our long travel kit, you will still need to do the body mount chop, do some plastic trimming, and run bumpstops, but well worth it for the added ground clearance you get with 35s!
How much extra suspension lift does your kit provide mate?

you guys get 4" over the usual 3" most are running?

even if it was 4", would it still hit the guard with 35's as suspension was fully compressed or do you guys do something else to avoid getting full suspension compression like longer bump stop?

just trying to get me head around it.

I think a 1" bodylift ontop of the 3" suspension lift would be a good option to avoid getting a guard tub. But like Fireman said, you'd need to max out the bodymount trimming.....

edit: just re read your post, you are running bumpstops, how much longer are they over stock?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Luke WL.

Quote:
I would love to run your kit, but $ is the problem at this point... If your kit was with shocks included I would have already purchased it...

I might try and find someone local with 35's and throw them on for a few days to see how far I will have to cut... I will post up a writeup if I do this. Thanks for the reply
Luke WL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
riseagainst88

My Rig: 2003 Taco

here some info with 1" of lift

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102723
Old 06-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
riseagainst88

My Rig: 2003 Taco

Another One with 3" lift and 36"s
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93286

ohh yeah and it can't be done
Old 06-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
Scuba
Veteran Member

Alright no more talk about 35's, This is making my brand new 33's look small
Old 06-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #14
freeze
Veteran Member

With the 35's you'll have to run the Timbren's bump stops to keep the wheel from stuffing into the fender. With my 285's they stuff into the fender really well with the All-Pro Long Travel. In the front i'm sitting at 41" to the middle of the fender. I think that's a little too much pre-load. I'm going to drop it down another 1/2" to see if I can get a little quicker up travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilux_MAX View Post
How much extra suspension lift does your kit provide mate?

you guys get 4" over the usual 3" most are running?

even if it was 4", would it still hit the guard with 35's as suspension was fully compressed or do you guys do something else to avoid getting full suspension compression like longer bump stop?

just trying to get me head around it.

I think a 1" bodylift ontop of the 3" suspension lift would be a good option to avoid getting a guard tub. But like Fireman said, you'd need to max out the bodymount trimming.....

edit: just re read your post, you are running bumpstops, how much longer are they over stock?
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad
All-Pro Bumper-skids-Sliders-Long Travel-3" Leafs/Fox 2.5 F&R/T-Max 10000/LF 240/MTZ

1981 Toyota Truck Sr5
Marlin 4"-crossover-4.7-TrannyHD-front&rear tube bumper/Warn 9000/5.29HP ARB f/5.29 ARB r/Champion Beads/MTR
freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
sixstringsteve
Veteran Member

I'm working on 35's on the same amount of lift. But I've had to cut a ton.

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144603
Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #16
johnecon2001
Tiny red truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
I'm working on 35's on the same amount of lift. But I've had to cut a ton.

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144603
Your taco and the 05+'s are quite a bit different though..
Old 11-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #17
sixstringsteve
Veteran Member

my bad sorry i missed that
Old 11-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #18
mr.trd
I think I remember where Moab is?

Here is an update for everyone to get all excited about 35's on the new tacos again.

I have 35's on my truck right now. Well they are 315/75R15's. A buddy is running my old wheels and tires off of my old '98 taco and he wanted me to put his on my truck to see if it fit or what. Well they are on 16x10's with 4.5" backspacing. I could make them fit very easily...like very easily. very little more needs to be trimmed, but I have been slowly trimming more and more away just cause I knew there would be a day that I put some 35's on. If I took the front fender flares off, no rub up front, and if I put my axle relocation brackets that I made on, the rear would fit easily, if they were on a narrower wheel. In fact they where on a 16x8, I wouldn't need to even do all of that, I think. But I took some pics and boy it looks good with some tire under there. And the wide wheels to fill the wheel well all the way out to the side looks great, but hinders the clearance. So now I am really debating keeping my wheels and going with the 305/70R17 GoodYear MT/R's or selling the wheels and tires and and going with 16x8's and going with 315/75R16's. But the one major downfall for any of it is the fact that the transmission will not stay in 5th gear anything over 70mph. And if it is windy or you come to a uphill grade, it will shift. 3.73's and 35's are not friends in this part of the country.

Will post some pics as soon as I get them uploaded... But here is one teaser!
Lift Me, Lock Me, Use Me, Abuse Me
mr.trd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
sixstringsteve
Veteran Member

that's some great articulation for ifs. Looks great.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #20
TRDGUYKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.trd View Post
Here is an update for everyone to get all excited about 35's on the new tacos again.

I have 35's on my truck right now. Well they are 315/75R15's. A buddy is running my old wheels and tires off of my old '98 taco and he wanted me to put his on my truck to see if it fit or what. Well they are on 16x10's with 4.5" backspacing. I could make them fit very easily...like very easily. very little more needs to be trimmed, but I have been slowly trimming more and more away just cause I knew there would be a day that I put some 35's on. If I took the front fender flares off, no rub up front, and if I put my axle relocation brackets that I made on, the rear would fit easily, if they were on a narrower wheel. In fact they where on a 16x8, I wouldn't need to even do all of that, I think. But I took some pics and boy it looks good with some tire under there. And the wide wheels to fill the wheel well all the way out to the side looks great, but hinders the clearance. So now I am really debating keeping my wheels and going with the 305/70R17 GoodYear MT/R's or selling the wheels and tires and and going with 16x8's and going with 315/75R16's. But the one major downfall for any of it is the fact that the transmission will not stay in 5th gear anything over 70mph. And if it is windy or you come to a uphill grade, it will shift. 3.73's and 35's are not friends in this part of the country.

Will post some pics as soon as I get them uploaded... But here is one teaser!
Im on a 3" lift and within a months time frame I will be getting the 305/70/17 GY MT/R Ill post pics when that happens If you haven't made a decision already.

oh yea, your truck looks BA btw. your truck is an inspiration.
TRDGUYKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #21
Hilux_MAX
Veteran Member

Is that 35" tyre fully compressed on the front or does it have more to go to the bump stops?

If its not fully compressed yet, the on a hard landing that tyre will destroy the front fender.

Also, if you turned the wheels how much room do you have to the rear of the guard? It dont look like much.

Look fantastic dont get me wrong but is it really worth the effort?

You could probably use a skinner 35 to gain the benefit of the extra clearance and not have the headaches associated with a tyre that wide as you have tried on..

just my 2 cents worth for discussion.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #22
free

Quote:
I
You could probably use a skinner 35 to gain the benefit of the extra clearance and not have the headaches associated with a tyre that wide as you have tried on..
Does anyone make a skinny 35? I really like my skinny 255/85/16s, but would love to have one a little taller but still skinny.

07 DC short bed TRD Auto. Custom rear bumper fabbed by a tard(me), ARB front bumper w/ m8000, OME 886s and Dakars with OME shocks all around, Timbren's for the rear, Cooper ST 255/85/16 on stock rims, 1.25 inch SpiderTrax spacers front and rear. Snugtop shell, Bedslide with custom drawers and platform, Wet Okoles. Allpro budget sliders - I don't like them. 4.88s with ARB up front, Puma compressor under the hood. Love the gears!
free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #23
GMAK
Veteran Member

interco does, they make the ssr in a 35x10.5x16 (76lbs per tire), and a bogger 35x10.5 that weighs 66lbs.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #24
Switch

Quote:
Would you say that bushwackers would work instead of the OEM flares? I have not seen many pics bushwacker posts posted ...

CA4WDC #11593

*****Don't believe everything you think*****
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:55 AM   #25
free

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAK View Post
interco does, they make the ssr in a 35x10.5x16 (76lbs per tire), and a bogger 35x10.5 that weighs 66lbs.
Might have to try those! btw - how are your bfg km2s doing? That was going to be my next tire...

07 DC short bed TRD Auto. Custom rear bumper fabbed by a tard(me), ARB front bumper w/ m8000, OME 886s and Dakars with OME shocks all around, Timbren's for the rear, Cooper ST 255/85/16 on stock rims, 1.25 inch SpiderTrax spacers front and rear. Snugtop shell, Bedslide with custom drawers and platform, Wet Okoles. Allpro budget sliders - I don't like them. 4.88s with ARB up front, Puma compressor under the hood. Love the gears!
free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #26
mr.trd

No the front is not fully compressed yet. Where it is there, it would require removing the fender flare to turn. I have beat the firewall back far enough that it is not an issue. The real issue is the 10" wide wheel and the wider tire. Like I said, on a 8" wide wheel, I think it would work much better. The problem with the flare is that it has a lip on the inside that the tire catches when turning back to straight that tries to rip it off. So removing the flare is really your only option, that I can see. It may be different with the 8" wheel though. With the 10" wheel I can actually still rub the body mount on the outside of the tire when backing up an turning to full lock and I have clearanced the body mount a ton. It barely touches, but it does.

I would love to get my hands on a set of 35x10.50's and some 16x8's. I really think I could clear them, at least enough to not rip plastic off the truck. And yes on the 10" wheel the outside of the tire does touch the firewall, I am not saying that you can clear with "no rubbing", but it would be very manageable. I had 35's on my '98 taco back when everyone said that couldn't be done, and now it seems pretty common really. Anything can be done, you just can't have the idea that you may sell or trade the truck in at some point. They are permanent changes. I will back up the ramp today and take some pics of the front fully stuffed just to show you how tight it is. I am taking them off today so if anyone whats specific pics let me know soon.

Quote:
Is that 35" tyre fully compressed on the front or does it have more to go to the bump stops?

If its not fully compressed yet, the on a hard landing that tyre will destroy the front fender.

Also, if you turned the wheels how much room do you have to the rear of the guard? It dont look like much.

Look fantastic dont get me wrong but is it really worth the effort?

just my 2 cents worth for discussion.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #27
mr.trd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Would you say that bushwackers would work instead of the OEM flares? I have not seen many pics bushwacker posts posted ...
Not the set that I saw. The pocket style bushwackers that i saw on a '05+ taco were bulkier than the factory ones! They don't make cut outs for our trucks, just replacements.....lame!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #28
mr.trd

Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post
Might have to try those! btw - how are your bfg km2s doing? That was going to be my next tire...
KM2's are doing fine I guess. These brand new ones hook up on the ice/snow pack much better than mine do. But all of my edges are rounded so it makes sense. I really would just love to get my hands on a set of the old style MT/R's in the 305/70R17's. I loved my old MT/R's. But for a all around great tire in all conditions, the trXus MT is probably right at the top. Wish they made them in the tall skinny, other than the undersized 255/85's that they do offer. All of the trXus MT's are undersized though.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #29
mr.trd

PIC TIME.... Please send pic requests soon, I am taking these off today.

The Front

The Back

The clearance on the upper control arm. Wheels have a 4.5" backspacing, 16x10 and 315/75R16 tire.

And just some pretty pics... to show the stance. This is where 10" wheel looks good.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #30
Hilux_MAX
Veteran Member

It does look good....I agree, I reckon a 16x8 with 4.5 backspace and 35/10.5x16 would look good in there.

you can get them in SSR's, Q78's for a bias tyre, and a couple different Simex tyres which we get here in Australia.

Theres a couple of FJ cruiser running this tyre size with a 3" lift so I dont see that it is impossible, just may need a bit of work, and I agree, the flares have to be removed.

Have you thought of removing your flare and cutting the front fender open an extra inch?

Pic request, I would like to see you backing up on the ramp and a pic from the oppsite front tyre fully stuffed....no offence, I dont think you'd get there seeing as the tyre was fully stuff going up the ramp.

So your saying you clear everything inside the guard/fender other than the mount?

go try out a set of 35/10.5x16's so the rest of us know what it looks like