Driveline - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Rock Crawling Tech > Solid Axle Swap Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
louis
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to louis
Default Driveline

Well the time has comen, and i need a new driveline.. I am just going to use square tubeing but am curious as to what type/size i need. Also, can i get some pics of how you guys weld these to the flanges.. I dont understand how to make a square pipe fit where a round one used to be.
WARN, FOA, 3.0, 39.5x16.5 pitbull rockers, 5.7R&P, 63 Chevys, Lincolned front/rear, Hybrid F-leafs, Longfield 30splines, Lotso Armor. I Have Gone To Find Myself, If I Dont Return Before I Get Back, Please Leave Me Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylas View Post
Id show you a picture of it, but when I attatch a picture its always hella small
louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
NorcalPR
NorCal Chapter Pres

My Rig: SAS'd 01 Tacoma
Send a message via AIM to NorcalPR

http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Article..._Driveline.htm
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90517
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=14915.0

Do you live in NorCal? Have you checked out the NorCal Section located here? If not check in today!
NorcalPR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Wes
Veteran Member

Not sure how much detail in those links- just take your time though. There are guys on here that have built square drivelines that do 70 with very little vibration, and others that need to bite down on something to go over 20.

2' square and an inside mic work really nice to line up the u-joints in the square tube. Tape wrapped around the round pieces you insert in the tube is also another way to center it up nice.

OR- the right driveline place will retube what you have for less than a hundred bucks and quite frankly, it is worth it to be able to haul ass in 4wd.

-Molly
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
NorcalPR
NorCal Chapter Pres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Not sure how much detail in those links- just take your time though. There are guys on here that have built square drivelines that do 70 with very little vibration, and others that need to bite down on something to go over 20.

2' square and an inside mic work really nice to line up the u-joints in the square tube. Tape wrapped around the round pieces you insert in the tube is also another way to center it up nice.

OR- the right driveline place will retube what you have for less than a hundred bucks and quite frankly, it is worth it to be able to haul ass in 4wd.
The only problem is finding a place that will retube it with some thick stuff.

I have a CV driveshaft, with the 8" slip yoke, and unbalanced I can take it to 45mph. I tubed it with Sch40 piping, it's nearly .2 thick

Do you live in NorCal? Have you checked out the NorCal Section located here? If not check in today!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Wes
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcalPR View Post
The only problem is finding a place that will retube it with some thick stuff.

I have a CV driveshaft, with the 8" slip yoke, and unbalanced I can take it to 45mph. I tubed it with Sch40 piping, it's nearly .2 thick
I think a driveshaft book/person would counter with some numbers regarding instant center, tube DIA vs. wall thickness, etc. Jesse at High Angle doesn't put all that thick of tube back in them- and it is probably still a compromise with slightly thicker tube vs. the larger diameter of the stock (at center).

I think something like .188 DOM would be more than sufficient- I can't imagine using .250 but what the hell do I know?

-Molly
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
RaideRNatioN
SPEAK ENGLISH!

Send a message via AIM to RaideRNatioN

its been a while, but i believe my rear D-shaft is .188 DOM. The D-shaft shop that did it said that was about the max I could go without having issues with the u-joints wearing too fast.

Keep working. Millions on welfare depend on you!
RaideRNatioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
NorcalPR
NorCal Chapter Pres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I think a driveshaft book/person would counter with some numbers regarding instant center, tube DIA vs. wall thickness, etc. Jesse at High Angle doesn't put all that thick of tube back in them- and it is probably still a compromise with slightly thicker tube vs. the larger diameter of the stock (at center).

I think something like .188 DOM would be more than sufficient- I can't imagine using .250 but what the hell do I know?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure mine is 2.5" pipe IIRC, and that would put me at a .2 thickness, and a 2" pipe would be .154 thickness.

Regardless, when I let off the gas in 4wd, there is so much rotational mass the truck's speed stays constant. If I pop it out of 4wd, the truck will begin to slow down