Synthetic Winchline - Page 4 - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Expeditionary Tech > Recovery and Exploration Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #91
Dominion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcalPR View Post
Any update on selling the shackles that fit the crush thimbles? I don't see them listed.
Wow, you guys are good.

I've been doing some testing and here's what I've found. Under HEAVY load, the crush proof thimbles are closing around what ever is placed through them. This causes the thimble eye to become smaller and I'm worried that even the smallest of the 3/4" shackle pins becomes too large. This is not a problem for a link hook, as the thimble can only close to the point where the tube ends touch each other. What I'm taking away from this, is that the direct shackle to tube thimble connection can cause un-happy customers for me. It's not worth it to me to offer the shackle as an option for what we have talked about. I'm not saying that it doesn't work, just how well. If the thimble closes around the shackle pin, it can be bent open to release it. But that's certainly not an elegant solution.

I can certainly get you guys some shackles if this sounds okay to you.

Thoughts?
Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #92
GatorTaco
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to GatorTaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion View Post
shipping to Florida tomorrow.
Awesome!
GatorTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #93
GatorTaco
Veteran Member

Looks to be great quality and got super quick shipping and response! looking forward to getting it on my winch! Thanks and i'll update when everything is put together.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #94
GatorTaco
Veteran Member

Still happy with this rope! Just wondering- Are you offering any chafe guards yet? I'm thinking of going with some of this stuff as mentioned in another thread on here.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #95
NorcalPR
NorCal Chapter Pres

My Rig: SAS'd 01 Tacoma
Send a message via AIM to NorcalPR

Chris,

I just (Finally) installed my winchline and winch in the bumper. Before spooling everything up and installing it all, I went to REI, and had them cut 10' of 1" tubular webbing like you posted. They come in a bunch ofdifferent colors, so I got the green one to match the winchline. Make sure you are getting webbing that is tubular, and not flat. You can find out which is which by trying to roll the webbing between your thumb and index finger.

Once cut, I stuck a 3/8" bolt head about 1/4" down and used a soldering iron to burn te end. This kept the end round.

Slid the whole thing on. It's very easy to slide if there's slight tension on the line.

One thing I did notice is that the protector does not go all the way to the end of the line, because of the bury splice. That's ok though because if you pull it tight against the bury splice, it doesn't slide back in as you're spooling in. Once spooled in, it tucks away very nicely...

-Phill

Do you live in NorCal? Have you checked out the NorCal Section located here? If not check in today!
NorcalPR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #96
TEJASYOTA
Come and Take it!

My Rig: '01TACO-DCLimitedTRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortaco View Post
sweet!!!

One thing I noticed, did you have to trim your grill to make the winch fit?
'01 Tacoma DCab (some mods - click here)
'00 BMW Z3 (more mods) + '12 MINI Countryman ALL4 (NO mods)
Have fun and do not wheel alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemon55 View Post
i have to say i'd like to be the first person to jack off on your garage floor....
www.Z3POWER.net
TTORA Member since Nov 18, 2005 - - TLCA Member since June 4, 2008 - - EX-PO Member since Nov 18, 2005
TEJASYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #97
sasaholic
Veteran Member

ya it looks like his grill is trimmed to fit the winch. id way rather cut my grill up and have a better approach angle than have it stick out another couple inches and make the angle worse. ill have to snap a pic of how little grill i have left with my 8274 mounted up haha. got me in another 1 3/4's though
Old 09-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #98
NorcalPR
NorCal Chapter Pres

I was able to finally find a shackle that the body fits in the crush proof thimble.

Crosby 3/4" shackle, 4 3/4T WLL. You can find these things nearly anywhere.

Actually found that this shackle worked by accident. Found it in the garage, and tried it out. Worked perfectly!

Do you live in NorCal? Have you checked out the NorCal Section located here? If not check in today!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #99
GatorTaco
Veteran Member

Quote:
Chris,

I just (Finally) installed my winchline and winch in the bumper. Before spooling everything up and installing it all, I went to REI, and had them cut 10' of 1" tubular webbing like you posted. They come in a bunch ofdifferent colors, so I got the green one to match the winchline. Make sure you are getting webbing that is tubular, and not flat. You can find out which is which by trying to roll the webbing between your thumb and index finger.

Once cut, I stuck a 3/8" bolt head about 1/4" down and used a soldering iron to burn te end. This kept the end round.

Slid the whole thing on. It's very easy to slide if there's slight tension on the line.

One thing I did notice is that the protector does not go all the way to the end of the line, because of the bury splice. That's ok though because if you pull it tight against the bury splice, it doesn't slide back in as you're spooling in. Once spooled in, it tucks away very nicely...

-Phill
Great to hear! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEJASYOTA View Post
sweet!!!

One thing I noticed, did you have to trim your grill to make the winch fit?
Yup I did. I couldve moved it down and not cut, but it doesn't look to bad IMO and it's definitely worth the additional clearance. Coming from the ARB bumper, I never wanted to bang into anything with my bumper again on the trail. So far, so good..

Quote:
I was able to finally find a shackle that the body fits in the crush proof thimble.

Crosby 3/4" shackle, 4 3/4T WLL. You can find these things nearly anywhere.

Actually found that this shackle worked by accident. Found it in the garage, and tried it out. Worked perfectly!
My shackles fit through.. They're from Northern Tool, but I dont remember which model they were.. these are them

Old 09-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #100
NorcalPR
NorCal Chapter Pres

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorTaco View Post
Great to hear! Thanks!

Yup I did. I couldve moved it down and not cut, but it doesn't look to bad IMO and it's definitely worth the additional clearance. Coming from the ARB bumper, I never wanted to bang into anything with my bumper again on the trail. So far, so good..

My shackles fit through.. They're from Northern Tool, but I dont remember which model they were.. these are them

What's wierd is those look the same as the ones I got from Grainer. The pin fits on the crush proof, but the body will not, the end where the threads are is just too thick.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #101
Dominion

Default some thoughts

Hey guys, haven't checked this thread in a while, but thanks to NorcalPR I've finished some testing and have made available some good shackles. I've identified a 5/8" shackle that works very well with the crush proof thimbles. The key to this shackle is that it's forged alloy steel. This makes them much stronger than a standard steel shackle. This 5/8" shackle has a working load limit of 10,000 lbs. a proof load limit of 20,000 lbs and an ultimate breaking strength of 54,000 lbs. FYI, these are not cheap. For fit, shackles must be tested with the thimble closed. I've had a thimble lock onto a shackle pin before, when doing a heavy pull. To get the pin out, we had to pry the thimble open. I've put a thimble in a vice, closed it and these 5/8" shackles still fit both body and pin.

5/8" forged alloy shackles include shipping at the following prices:
1 Shackle - $18.45
2 Shackles - $29.90
3 Shackles - $42.35
4 Shackles - $53.95

RE the tubular webbing as a chafe guard. The biggest problem with using webbing is that if you pull the rope into the winch, under load, the winch line can get stuck and will not de-spool without a load pulling it out. This is why I recommend a removable chafe guard. I haven't had a chance to properly test my design and this is why I do not yet offer a chafe guard.

Picture of 5/8" shackle:

Here's a picture of a thimble, closed in a vice:
Old 09-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #102
NorcalPR
NorCal Chapter Pres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion View Post
Hey guys, haven't checked this thread in a while, but thanks to NorcalPR I've finished some testing and have made available some good shackles. I've identified a 5/8" shackle that works very well with the crush proof thimbles. The key to this shackle is that it's forged alloy steel. This makes them much stronger than a standard steel shackle. This 5/8" shackle has a working load limit of 10,000 lbs. a proof load limit of 20,000 lbs and an ultimate breaking strength of 54,000 lbs. FYI, these are not cheap. For fit, shackles must be tested with the thimble closed. I've had a thimble lock onto a shackle pin before, when doing a heavy pull. To get the pin out, we had to pry the thimble open. I've put a thimble in a vice, closed it and these 5/8" shackles still fit both body and pin.

5/8" forged alloy shackles include shipping at the following prices:
1 Shackle - $18.45
2 Shackles - $29.90
3 Shackles - $42.35
4 Shackles - $53.95

RE the tubular webbing as a chafe guard. The biggest problem with using webbing is that if you pull the rope into the winch, under load, the winch line can get stuck and will not de-spool without a load pulling it out. This is why I recommend a removable chafe guard. I haven't had a chance to properly test my design and this is why I do not yet offer a chafe guard.

Picture of 5/8" shackle:

Here's a picture of a thimble, closed in a vice:
Awesome. If I have issues with the Crosby shackle that I found, I'll order a 5/8". I'm sure it wasn't too hard to pry open? Just a couple screwdrivers I assume?

Goot point on the webbing, I didn't even think about that. However, the chafe guard can scrunch up towards the end so it wouldn't go in under load. IIRC, I cut it at 8'. It would probably easily scrunch down to 4 or 3 feet.

The other problem I see is if you need to run it through a snatch block. Instead of easily removing it, you'd have to pull a bunch of line out, slide it in, then spool the line/guard in with no load.

We'll see. I haven't gotton any real testing on the winch yet, but so far I'm happy with the 3 dollar guard.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #103
Dominion

Correct, not hard to pry open and yeah, just keep an eye on the guard and you should be okay. Great point on the snatch block, hadn't even thought of that.

Quote:
Awesome. If I have issues with the Crosby shackle that I found, I'll order a 5/8". I'm sure it wasn't too hard to pry open? Just a couple screwdrivers I assume?

Goot point on the webbing, I didn't even think about that. However, the chafe guard can scrunch up towards the end so it wouldn't go in under load. IIRC, I cut it at 8'. It would probably easily scrunch down to 4 or 3 feet.

The other problem I see is if you need to run it through a snatch block. Instead of easily removing it, you'd have to pull a bunch of line out, slide it in, then spool the line/guard in with no load.

We'll see. I haven't gotton any real testing on the winch yet, but so far I'm happy with the 3 dollar guard.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #104
GatorTaco
Veteran Member

oops, I was mistaken.. I didnt realize ya'll were talking about the crushproof, and I was talking about the safety thimble..
Anyways, I looked at mine and they are 6-1/2 ton WLL 3/4"and fit every direction through the safety thimble..