LT 4x4 04 double cab - Page 16 - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Desert Tech > Desert Race Rig Builds
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #451
herocopter

My Rig: 1999 4runner

Also depends on the state. Most states just plug into the OBDII interface and check what the computer thinks its doing. So, as long as your check engine light is off you're good. So the charger is very legal. Engine swaps can get tricky. When I looked into it I thought it was only requiring a newer engine with as good or better smog ratings. The new GM engines with variable valve timing are really clean and very efficient. But you're right about a huge headache. If I were to do it I would spend extra for a turn key kit. Probably comparable in pricing to the charger with 1.5x the power and runs on 87 octane.

Better to ignore me. I get annoyed at my buddy who keeps tempting me.
herocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #452
trifenix
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOwballer View Post
I honestly dont know that one. you'd have to read up more on it to find out for sure. I for some reason was thinking it would be ok, and that is was more against crossing over car and truck motors...but that is pure speculation on this part so dont take my word for it
In cali....can only swap engines that were available in that chassis generation. So early tacos should be able to swap 2.4, 2.7, 3.4.

Im trying to get more power also but engine swaps seem like a bit much fitment and wiring wise for me.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #453
jonsangel
Veteran Member

once you start getting too much power you start breaking driveline components unless you upgrade that too. i think id be content with just a supercharger with all its bells and whistles.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #454
OOwballer

Send a message via AIM to OOwballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifenix View Post
In cali....can only swap engines that were available in that chassis generation. So early tacos should be able to swap 2.4, 2.7, 3.4.
Sorry but thats not true... I did some more reading and it appears you and I are both wrong about things.
First, the class of vehicle does not matter so long as the vehicle and engine are from vehicles less than 1-ton. Meaning if you have a 1-ton you can swap in only an engine from another 1-ton+ chassis. Or the opposite applies. So yes a truck engine can go into a car or vice versa, assuming all of the other things apply.
I was wrong about the manufacturer part, apparently that is not important so long as it is same year or newer with ALL smog equipment.
OOwballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #455
alpha_nett
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2004 taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOwballer View Post
Sorry but thats not true... I did some more reading and it appears you and I are both wrong about things.
First, the class of vehicle does not matter so long as the vehicle and engine are from vehicles less than 1-ton. Meaning if you have a 1-ton you can swap in only an engine from another 1-ton+ chassis. Or the opposite applies. So yes a truck engine can go into a car or vice versa, assuming all of the other things apply.
I was wrong about the manufacturer part, apparently that is not important so long as it is same year or newer with ALL smog equipment.
Good info. can we get some source references?
***custom fiberglass and LT build:
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122192
alpha_nett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #456
trifenix
Veteran Member

i am curious now because that means you can run any engine in any car without smog issues? And what vehicle weighs only 1 ton? So can I drop an LS1 in my tacoma and get it smogged no problem?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #457
OOwballer

Here's swap guideline's from the horses mouth:

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...uidelines.html

...that doesnt solve the issue of swapping between classes of vehicles. I think the info I gave before was correct, but I cant seem to find the official vehicle code section on it... Too be honest my brain hurts from reading legal mumbo jumbo and im giving up, maybe I was tired and mixed it up with some other forum info. Pretty darn sure its right though. If you are really interested in swapping an engine a call to your local bar ref would prob be the easiest and best idea and could head off your problems early

and also a 1ton vehicle was in reference to the vehicle's carry capacity like a 1ton truck vs a 1/2 ton truck, not the weight of the vehicle itself
Old 03-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #458
OOwballer

A bit more info scroll down to "engine changes"...still doesnt quite define classes of vehicle but helps some. are 1/2 ton trucks considered light duty? if so that opens up a whole lot of legal smog swaps for midsize trucks, assuming you want to do the work.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm
Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #459
jonsangel
Veteran Member

Finally fixed my brakes. I replaced the master cylinder and brake booster and that wasn't the problem. it ended up being something unrelated to the brakes causing the problem. any guesses of what it was? I should have it ready to take out again by this weekend
Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #460
LTDCDUDE

My Rig: 02 Double cab Taco

You have peaked my interest. Brake problem not related to the brakes, out has to be something stupid (from my experience) haha.
LTDCDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #461
Smitherz

Send a message via ICQ to Smitherz Send a message via AIM to Smitherz Send a message via MSN to Smitherz Send a message via Yahoo to Smitherz Send a message via Skype™ to Smitherz

Vacuum line problem? Foot cramps? Floormat getting in the way? =]
Custom cantilever rear 18"T
Race Runners - Rear
Icons - front
Smitherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #462
jonsangel
Veteran Member

Finally some updates!!
First, let's start with the brakes. So during king of the hammers I hucked my truck and landed with the brakes on (DO NOT DO THIS). This caused my truck to bottom out even harder. The only apparent damage was my radiator was moved in a bit and my coilover to resi fitting broke. I was still able to drive it home but as I'm driving it starts to feel like my brakes are getting worse and worse. By the time I get home I barely have any brakes at all. I take a look at the brakes and this is what I find

My UCA had put a dent in the brake booster. I've heard this isn't a problem but I didn't see any other reason why my brakes would be bad. I try replacing the master cylinder first because replacing my booster involves me cutting out my bypass mount but that didn't fix the problem. I sacked up and cut out the bypass mount and it barely squeezed out

I get everything back together and test it out and FML they still don't work. I'm stumped. There are no leaks anywhere and all the calipers are getting fluid when I bleed. I adjust my proportioning valve to make it full open so my rear has max brakes and I can lock those up so I eliminate the rear being a problem. My next guess is that by landing with the brakes on I messed up the front calipers somehow. I decided to switch calipers with a buddy to check that. As I jack up the truck I notice that the passenger wheel seems kind of loose. I rock it back and forth and notice it is loose at the wheel bearing. BINGO. If the wheel bearing is loose than the wheel will wobble as it drives so when I try and brake the disc pushes the caliper pads in and out giving the feeling of no brakes. I pull the hub cover off and the nut is partially backed out up until the cotter pin caught it. If there was no cotter pin it most likely would have back all the way out and been really bad. I retightened the wheel bearing and took it for a drive and my brakes go back to normal! It only took 3 days of work and 300+ in parts. hopefully some one will read this and not make the same mistake. Once I saw the dent in the booster I got tunnel vision and had my mind set on that being the problem

Now for the fun stuff. After the brake fiasco I had to remake the bypass mount. This time I wanted to keep the brake reservoir on the MC instead of relocating it which didnt make me feel very comfortable. Im not sure If i showed it before but this is how I moved it

The new mount had more material but didn't have the top plate but I'm sure it will be fine

To keep from bottoming out so much I raised the ride height a ton in the front and revalved my coilovers from what I thought was 70/50 (it had 60/70 engraved on the cap so who knows what it was) to 105/50 which is a huge jump. Hopefully its not too much. I also added a little spacer to my front bump to raise my bump height

I had to fix my motor mount. not sure why but the welds completely failed causing the mount to split

I was able to C-clamp it to close the gap a little then I welded back up

forgot to take after pics

Since I don't have a bed I want to make a roof rack for gear. The plan is to have really low profile rails and then make a dettachable rack. I only got the rails done this weekend

The rails land on the roll cage at the A&C pillar junctions

Lastly, I bought 4 new red ring 55 watt HIDs (2 spot, 2 flood) so I can put them in a light rack that goes just above the windshield. Heres what I drew up and was aiming for

I wasn't so lucky and the die I wanted had the wrong radius (3.5" instead of 4.5") so I had to put a 2" gap between the 90 degree bends but it still came out good. I still need to add the verticals

making sure it wasn't warped

It matches the windshield perfect

I orginally planned to have it attached to the roof rack but it's too far away so I'm not sure how to attach it anymore

The truck is basically ready to go again. I just need to do a prep and enclose the fuse box.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #463
jonsangel
Veteran Member

These showed up at my door yesterday. I wonder what I can do with them...
Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #464
froader

why do those hubs look half aluminum half steel?
hmmm.

WTG Racing - OFF-Road racing products and fabrication.
froader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #465
jonsangel
Veteran Member

They're all steel. The outter diameter was turned down so I can fit a tacoma/tundra rotor over it because I plan on reusing my brakes
Old 04-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #466
froader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsangel View Post
They're all steel. The outter diameter was turned down so I can fit a tacoma/tundra rotor over it because I plan on reusing my brakes
Lol, didn't think about that. I have a set waiting for me to build spindles. they are def beefy, strong, but heavy.
I remember seeing some machined aluminum ones, but can't seem to track them down.

WTG Racing - OFF-Road racing products and fabrication.
froader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #467
jonsangel
Veteran Member

I got my light rack mounted. It makes the truck look competely different.

This is how I mounted rack to the cage

I added the vertical bars to the rack and blended the weld between the sections before I mounted it. I need to redo the the piece that goes from the rack to the cage attachement and redo the center adjusting link. I had to bend it to clear the antenna mount. When I redo it I will mount it a little lower

Here are a couple night shots. The lights worked great. it was def enough. I might mount a couple on my bumper if I make a stinger

I went out to ocotillo wells saturday night. The truck did awesome. The front valving is perfect. I just need to adjust the bypasses a little. The rear is still funky. I think my shackles are hitting the frame. I have some good video of the suspension I'll throw up later
Old 07-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #468
wants2jump

Wow great thread, good pics and videos and BADASS truck!! took me like an hour an a half to read and watch all videos
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #469
toyota_tacoma
Veteran Member

Probably the best DC tacoma on TTORA.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #470
jonsangel
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. I have a few small updates but hopefully these pics will hold you off from my trip to mex this last weekend

In-Cab Shot

Checking the Suspension

Came damn close to rolling it. I was drifting around a corner and hit a rut. It popped me up on two wheels but i was able to countersteer and save it

And a few of my favorite randoms

Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #471
nelson18matt
Veteran Member

awesome pics!!! that in cab shot of your almost roll is crazy
Old 08-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #472
wants2jump

Niiiccceee!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #473
jmoss13
Veteran Member

Nice save

2006 Tundra Dbl Cab
Stock for now
jmoss13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #474
LTDCDUDE

nice pictures you have there. awesome driving to save that roll I have a question, I've looked through a few pages and gave up, I fine remember what gears you are running. I'm getting 35's tomorrow and i'm afraid of the lack of power until I can regear.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #475
jonsangel
Veteran Member

im 529. 488 will put you a little underpowered of stock. i wouldnt go any less than 529 when you regear
Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #476
jonsangel
Veteran Member

ill put the video of the almost roll when i get it
Old 08-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #477
LTDCDUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsangel View Post
im 529. 488 will put you a little underpowered of stock. i wouldnt go any less than 529 when you regear
How does that do at highway speeds? Mine is a daily, for now, 4.10's and 35's suuuuuuck!!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #478
jonsangel
Veteran Member

I drive mine 30 minutes to work a few times a week and its fine on the freeway. i usually drive around 70-75 mph
Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #479
prerunnerguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDCDUDE View Post
nice pictures you have there. awesome driving to save that roll I have a question, I've looked through a few pages and gave up, I fine remember what gears you are running. I'm getting 35's tomorrow and i'm afraid of the lack of power until I can regear.
I'm running 35's with 4.88 and its pretty good power wise, but when I finally swap in the 9" I will be going with somthing close to 5.29's.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #480
LTDCDUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerguy View Post
I'm running 35's with 4.88 and its pretty good power wise, but when I finally swap in the 9" I will be going with somthing close to 5.29's.
I think i'm going to go 4.88's. A bit under powered but more gear for the highway.