85 build up aka White Stallion - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association
     


Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > By State > Arkansas > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
swimmerzack
Veteran Member
 
swimmerzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mesquite, texas
Posts: 1,432
Default 85 build up aka White Stallion

Well i got talked of doing my pre-runer swap. But i Ran across a 85 solid axle yota- 35's 4.7.1 T-case marlin gears. Welded front and rear. Needs a new head Gasket but I should be arrested for getting such a sweet ride
http://s887.photobucket.com/albums/ac74/swimmerzack/
Some lift needed

Needs flat bed
Tube bumper
roll protection of some kind
half doors
and wheeling
swimmerzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
domino
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmerzack View Post
Well i got talked of doing my pre-runer swap. But i Ran across a 85 solid axle yota- 35's 4.7.1 T-case marlin gears. Welded front and rear. Needs a new head Gasket but I should be arrested for getting such a sweet ride
http://s887.photobucket.com/albums/ac74/swimmerzack/
Some lift needed

Needs flat bed
Tube bumper
roll protection of some kind
half doors
and wheeling
The only thing in that list that you really need is roll protection. The rest is just cosmetics right now. Fix that head gasket and let's go wheelin!
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Arky Tacoma
Veteran Member
 
Arky Tacoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,501
Default

Just curious, since when is roll protection so important? If it were me, I'd do something about lockers to replace the welded front and rear. Aaron, you and Daniel don't have roll protection...
__________________
Arkansas TTORA
www.ar-ttora.com

2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab V-6 4wd
Dana 44 Front Axle/ARB Locker/Rear LockRight
4.88's
ARB Bumper/Warn M8000/Amsteel Line
4xInnovations Sliders
Torch Worx Fab Rear Bumper
37x12.50/17 Cooper STT's/Black Steelies
Viair 450c OBA System
Uniden Pro520xl CB w/ 5 ft. Hustler whip
Arky Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
domino
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky Tacoma View Post
Just curious, since when is roll protection so important? If it were me, I'd do something about lockers to replace the welded front and rear. Aaron, you and Daniel don't have roll protection...
Welded in the rear is just fine. There's a bunch of us either welded or spooled in the rear. I'd even run the welded diff in the front until a lockrite can be sourced.

I will admit, I keep putting off building a cage because there's other things I want to do more. However, I tend to avoid the really steep climbs and off camber stuff where a roll is more likely. Out of the stuff he had listed, the only think I would consider necessary for wheeling is the cage. The others are just nice to have.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
gittinit
Veteran Member
 
gittinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Paragould, AR
Posts: 2,153
Default

Zack, do you have a digital camera? I want to see some pics of what your working with. Does it have crossover steering? If not i would put that further up on your list.
__________________
Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
gittinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
domino
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gittinit View Post
Zack, do you have a digital camera? I want to see some pics of what your working with. Does it have crossover steering? If not i would put that further up on your list.
Too lazy to click on the link, huh?





domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
79coyotefrg
Veteran Member
 
79coyotefrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arkadelphia AR
Posts: 4,982
Default

can anyone point out the one thing i dont think any of us have that we NEED?
__________________
AR-TTORA founder/current President, www.ar-ttora.com
22R bored .060 over, LCEngineeing stage II race cam, 3236 weber,
entire drivetrain from www.Marlincrawler.com 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52HD 5 speed + dual transfer case. Driveline E-brake, front suspension and hi-steer from www.allprooffroad.com
79coyotefrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
domino
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg View Post
can anyone point out the one thing i dont think any of us have that we NEED?
More money!
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
gittinit
Veteran Member
 
gittinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Paragould, AR
Posts: 2,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Too lazy to click on the link, huh?
Not to lazy i saw those pics, but really pics of interior, beat up body, and a dirty enging compartment.....What good are those pics? Does it have the factory low hanging tcase crosmember, and push pull steering box? Are the front springs negative arched, is thre any rust? Ya know the pics that help tell the story of what kind of work this thing really needs, to be a 4and 5 capable rig.
__________________
Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
gittinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
domino
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gittinit View Post
Not to lazy i saw those pics, but really pics of interior, beat up body, and a dirty enging compartment.....What good are those pics? Does it have the factory low hanging tcase crosmember, and push pull steering box? Are the front springs negative arched, is thre any rust? Ya know the pics that help tell the story of what kind of work this thing really needs, to be a 4and 5 capable rig.
It's probably safe to assume stock crossmember. We know it's stock steering but probably has some sort of cheap lift on it. Pretty much just has 4.7s, radial tires, and welded up 5.29s. It's a long way from a reliable 4/5 rated rig, but it'll keep up until he gets tired of fixing stuff on the trail.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
Arky Tacoma
Veteran Member
 
Arky Tacoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Welded in the rear is just fine. There's a bunch of us either welded or spooled in the rear. I'd even run the welded diff in the front until a lockrite can be sourced.

I will admit, I keep putting off building a cage because there's other things I want to do more. However, I tend to avoid the really steep climbs and off camber stuff where a roll is more likely. Out of the stuff he had listed, the only think I would consider necessary for wheeling is the cage. The others are just nice to have.
Wow, you guys try to be careful? HA! I never would have thought that after watching you wheel sometimes and especially seeing the pics from Gilmer
__________________
Arkansas TTORA
www.ar-ttora.com

2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab V-6 4wd
Dana 44 Front Axle/ARB Locker/Rear LockRight
4.88's
ARB Bumper/Warn M8000/Amsteel Line
4xInnovations Sliders
Torch Worx Fab Rear Bumper
37x12.50/17 Cooper STT's/Black Steelies
Viair 450c OBA System
Uniden Pro520xl CB w/ 5 ft. Hustler whip
Arky Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
YotaJosh
.
 
YotaJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 2,256
Default

Stay on topic folks.

The merits of a roll cage vs. a "one time use cab" can be debated in OT.

__________________
'87 FJ60 Land Cruiser
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2
YotaJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
01yota
Senior Member
 
01yota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Stonewall, LA
Posts: 422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg View Post
can anyone point out the one thing i dont think any of us have that we NEED?
You talking about the fire extinguisher? I have one in my truck, but it's behind the seat, not as accessible as that one.
__________________
2001 4x4 Tacoma
2007 Tundra
01yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
domino
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yota View Post
You talking about the fire extinguisher? I have one in my truck, but it's behind the seat, not as accessible as that one.
Mine's locked in the toolbox.. That's real usefull..
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
swimmerzack
Veteran Member
 
swimmerzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mesquite, texas
Posts: 1,432
Default

come on boys, Eagle scout code- Be Prepared
swimmerzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
Arky Tacoma
Veteran Member
 
Arky Tacoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaJosh View Post
Stay on topic folks.

The merits of a roll cage vs. a "one time use cab" can be debated in OT.


Hey man,

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
__________________
Arkansas TTORA
www.ar-ttora.com

2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab V-6 4wd
Dana 44 Front Axle/ARB Locker/Rear LockRight
4.88's
ARB Bumper/Warn M8000/Amsteel Line
4xInnovations Sliders
Torch Worx Fab Rear Bumper
37x12.50/17 Cooper STT's/Black Steelies
Viair 450c OBA System
Uniden Pro520xl CB w/ 5 ft. Hustler whip
Arky Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #17
yaker
Veteran Member
 
yaker's Avatar
 
My Rig: 2012 Tacoma
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Holiday Inn Exspress last night.
Posts: 1,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
More money!
X2. My money tree is almost dead.
__________________
2012 double cab Tacoma
1st gen 4runner.
75 FJ40
yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #18
79coyotefrg
Veteran Member
 
79coyotefrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arkadelphia AR
Posts: 4,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yota View Post
You talking about the fire extinguisher? I have one in my truck, but it's behind the seat, not as accessible as that one.
DING DING DING, give that man a weiner


but seriously, Zack doesnt have the experience behind the wheel or wrench to tackle class 4 or 5 trails.

I am thinking some sort of roll protection if only some sort of hoop to keep the cab from crushing down, which reminds me i need to weld that brace on my "headache rack"
__________________
AR-TTORA founder/current President, www.ar-ttora.com
22R bored .060 over, LCEngineeing stage II race cam, 3236 weber,
entire drivetrain from www.Marlincrawler.com 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52HD 5 speed + dual transfer case. Driveline E-brake, front suspension and hi-steer from www.allprooffroad.com
79coyotefrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #19
swimmerzack
Veteran Member
 
swimmerzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mesquite, texas
Posts: 1,432
Default

thanks pappa Glen.

yea all that and a front bumper
swimmerzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #20
domino
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg View Post
DING DING DING, give that man a weiner


but seriously, Zack doesnt have the experience behind the wheel or wrench to tackle class 4 or 5 trails.

I am thinking some sort of roll protection if only some sort of hoop to keep the cab from crushing down, which reminds me i need to weld that brace on my "headache rack"
I didn't have much wheeling experience either when I got the black truck. Before that I had only tackled some 2's and 3's in the 4runner and spent quite a few years riding passenger. I agree that you gotta start small, but with a truck that's already geared and locked you end up on the 4's pretty quick.

As far as the roll bar idea, look at that blue 2nd gen that was at gilmer. He had an allpro tube bed, but it did nothing for him when he rolled in the rock garden. The whole roof and a-pillar crushed in towards him, and that was probably a pretty soft roll.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #21
gittinit
Veteran Member
 
gittinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Paragould, AR
Posts: 2,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg View Post
DING DING DING, give that man a weiner


but seriously, Zack doesnt have the experience behind the wheel or wrench to tackle class 4 or 5 trails.

I am thinking some sort of roll protection if only some sort of hoop to keep the cab from crushing down, which reminds me i need to weld that brace on my "headache rack"
I completely agree thats why i recommended something like this for him, when he told me he wanted a flat bed.
__________________
Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
gittinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #22
gittinit
Veteran Member
 
gittinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Paragould, AR
Posts: 2,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I didn't have much wheeling experience either when I got the black truck. Before that I had only tackled some 2's and 3's in the 4runner and spent quite a few years riding passenger. I agree that you gotta start small, but with a truck that's already geared and locked you end up on the 4's pretty quick.

As far as the roll bar idea, look at that blue 2nd gen that was at gilmer. He had an allpro tube bed, but it did nothing for him when he rolled in the rock garden. The whole roof and a-pillar crushed in towards him, and that was probably a pretty soft roll.
If the cab caved so easily with such a gentile roll, imagine what the outcome would be in a more violent rollover. I figure that guy was lucky. He could have easily been in a situation that would cause a tumble, type of rollover. With no rollbar, in a bad roll, we could be mourning him right now. Instead of dying, he went home, prolly to source another cab to swap on his rig. Better safe than sorry I say.
__________________
Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
gittinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #23
OldTruck
Senior Member
 
OldTruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: near Memphis, TN
Posts: 366
Default

Michael,
I like the example bed on the blue truck.
How much tube do you figure is in that setup?
Recon we could fab something like that?
It's either something like that or a bed bob.
What'cha' think?
sab
__________________
OldTruck38
'86 Toyota 4x4 IFS pickup - faded black, Lincoln locked
31" LTB's, Smittybilt 8K winch, Faber Fab slider & front bumper

'72 Toyota FJ40 - sky blue - stock

http://community.webshots.com/user/oldtruck38


TLCA - 17570
Blue Rib Col - 51402
OldTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #24
swimmerzack
Veteran Member
 
swimmerzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mesquite, texas
Posts: 1,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gittinit View Post
I completely agree thats why i recommended something like this for him, when he told me he wanted a flat bed.




I like both of these ideas and they offer roll protectio and Mike there is that red one i sent you with tube on the cab
swimmerzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #25
gittinit
Veteran Member
 
gittinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Paragould, AR
Posts: 2,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTruck View Post
Michael,
I like the example bed on the blue truck.
How much tube do you figure is in that setup?
Recon we could fab something like that?
It's either something like that or a bed bob.
What'cha' think?
sab
Whatever ya want to do Stacy . bed bobs are cheaper, but take body work to make em look good. I fo you stacy I recommend a bed bob and spend your $ on either the doubler, or tcase gears. I bet I know a college Kid (Jordan) who might be interested in your bed for his 4runner bob. The blue bed prolly has min 3 sticks of tube...possibly more like 4 if the bed crosmembers were tube as well. I would use some angle, or square for the bed floor though...heck I would use some expanded metal for the floor, so i could rinse it out easily.

Hey Stacy wanna make a road trip with me friday? I havta go to AL. 5.5 hr drive, each way...Bla!
__________________
Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
gittinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #26
79coyotefrg
Veteran Member
 
79coyotefrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arkadelphia AR
Posts: 4,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gittinit View Post
I completely agree thats why i recommended something like this for him, when he told me he wanted a flat bed.
hey I like that, only make the bed narrow all the way up with room for a jerry can in front of the rear tire, like an old powerwagon, hell i might even want one
__________________
AR-TTORA founder/current President, www.ar-ttora.com
22R bored .060 over, LCEngineeing stage II race cam, 3236 weber,
entire drivetrain from www.Marlincrawler.com 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52HD 5 speed + dual transfer case. Driveline E-brake, front suspension and hi-steer from www.allprooffroad.com
79coyotefrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #27
Jordan7118
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 4,020
Default

Here's is by far the number one best mods you can do:


WHEEL



After that:


READ THE PIRATE FAQ


And then:


LEARN TO DRIVE


Maybe in a different order, but all three are crucial to actually feeling good about what you're doing.

How do I know? I web-wheel lug nuts off parked cars...





Seriously, congrats on gettin' something you can drive. You're money, time, and frustration ahead for not doing the Pre-Runner swap. PM if ya want some web-wheelin' advice.
__________________
AR-TTORA Memphis Sub-Chapter TEAM Leader
Jordan7118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #28
79coyotefrg
Veteran Member
 
79coyotefrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arkadelphia AR
Posts: 4,982
Default

he's a good kid, he shouldnt be exposed to those boneheads on Pirate, see how they screwed you up dont ya



__________________
AR-TTORA founder/current President, www.ar-ttora.com
22R bored .060 over, LCEngineeing stage II race cam, 3236 weber,
entire drivetrain from www.Marlincrawler.com 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52HD 5 speed + dual transfer case. Driveline E-brake, front suspension and hi-steer from www.allprooffroad.com
79coyotefrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #29
ArkieTaco
Senior Member
 
ArkieTaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central,Ar
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmerzack View Post
thanks pappa Glen.
I'm kinda disturbed......

If you are wanting a flatbed. Check my build thread (don't have good enough internet to post link). I'll possibly sell it.
__________________
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” ~John Wayne
ArkieTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #30
domino
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkieTaco View Post
I'm kinda disturbed......

If you are wanting a flatbed. Check my build thread (don't have good enough internet to post link). I'll possibly sell it.
Still thinking about going to a 4runner?
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sierra Expedition's White Tacoma Build flyingwil Expedition Builds 82 12-04-2011 01:20 AM
WTB:02-04 White TRD x-cab V6 5-spd DRock Vehicles/Trailers 6 04-05-2008 02:21 PM
White Muzzeloader / White Bullets StugGuts Wanted 3 11-29-2007 11:05 AM
FS: PIAA Xtreme White H3's ($45) and Xtreme White Plus 9004's ($50) tsunami982 Parts/Electronics/Wheels/Tires 25 10-04-2005 05:10 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:07 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.