NorCal - Rubicon Work Weekend - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Events > Past Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:41 PM   #1
Mike
Veteran Member

Cool NorCal - Rubicon Work Weekend

Just got back from an awesome weekend up in the Sierra. And this time it was for a very good cause. 80+ people volunteered their weekend to get some needed trail repairs done around the Rubicon Springs section of the trail.

The Rubicon bridge got painted. The log jam that was threatening the bridge was dealt with. The swampy areas were filled with rocks. The trees blocking Miller Creek were removed. Lots of rocks were moved around to keep the river within it's banks instead of flooding the trail and leading to lots of erosion.

I am very tired, but had a blast helping out! It was nice to see TTORA represented out there with several other clubs including the Pirates of the Rubicon. And on top of all the work, we got to party, wheel, and meet lots of other awesome wheelers from other clubs.

Huge thanks to the NorCal TTORA guys and girls who showed up to get some work done! For the rest of the NorCal people who would rather web-wheel, just remember that volunteer projects like these go a long way towards keeping our trails open!

These are Peri's pics, she will have the other 140+ pics up in the next couple days.

Later,
....Mike

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
BigBadBob0
Random Dude

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBob0

I took a few pictures and edited it down to just these 7. Thanks to those who came out. I'm sorry to those that couldn't make it. Harsh comments better left untold to those that flaked without a good excuse (there were -two- empty passenger seats in TTORA vehicles). Anyway. It was a good weekend and I'm quite sure we accomplished quite a bit.

http://www.norcalttora.com/~bob/FOTR...005/index.html

BigBadBob0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Kyoteh
Tawiton!

Send a message via AIM to Kyoteh Send a message via Yahoo to Kyoteh

Yeah, what Mike and Bob said! I'm tired and am still working on the 180 picts that I took. they'll be up hopefully before I go to bed tonight but we'll see.

This was my first time to see any of the Rubicon trail other than Loon Lake and Gate Keeper so it was very cool to not only see/get to it for the first time (though I've wanted to go since I was young) but to run up and down a portion of it documenting the repairs/work with photos. (that became my assignment! ) Looks like I ended up hiking about 4 or so miles that day by the time you add in the back and forth and up and down stuff I did. Felt like a lot more!

Everyone there worked together to get sooooooo much done! It really was a good cause! Good to see others from our group there though wish there were more considering how many we've got in the area! You guys missed out on a lot of fun, good wheelin', and excellent company!!!!

I'll post as soon as the picts are up! (connection is being a PITA!)
Kyoteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
cedarbarn

Nice pics.

I was a slacker and just wheeled this weekend.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:17 PM   #5
halfxspaid

Good work Mike! I like how you take an ACTIVE roll in this type of stuff unlike ----^

halfxspaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
Big-A
and weeeeeeee

Send a message via MSN to Big-A

nice pics .........I spent the weekend wrenching on my truck wishing I was there...
Old 08-21-2005, 11:22 PM   #7
Kyoteh
Tawiton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBob0
I took a few pictures and edited it down to just these 7.
Nice. Just wait until I get one of those cool lenses though! lol! I'm still jealous of that thing. (I'm assuming you used it for at least some of those picts.) Oh yeah, thanks again for letting me borrow that cable too!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:16 AM   #8
Kyoteh
Tawiton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis3000
nice pics .........I spent the weekend wrenching on my truck wishing I was there...
I think ya should have just wrenched next weekend and hitched a ride like I did! I know having your own truck with you is the best but this was soooooo well worth it!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:45 AM   #9
tacodab
Dean

good job gents!!!
Thanks Mike and Bob
Old 08-22-2005, 12:57 AM   #10
Brain
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Brain

I was very glad to be part of the work team this past weekend. Unfortunately I was unable to fill my passenger seat, hopefully there will be help more readily available next time. I've only ran the trail once but would love to continue to do so throughout the years, so I'll do anything to make it happen. It was also great to wheel and hang out with everyone again, I had to get out sometime this summer And what a way to end it!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:01 AM   #11
Kyoteh
Tawiton!

Finally got them all up!

http://cherokeespirit.com/toy/rubico...leanup8-20-05/

Mike, go ahead and snag away! I think I got the permissions set right this time so you shouldn't have a prob.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:14 AM   #12
tacodab
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7
I was very glad to be part of the work team this past weekend. Unfortunately I was unable to fill my passenger seat, hopefully there will be help more readily available next time. I've only ran the trail once but would love to continue to do so throughout the years, so I'll do anything to make it happen. It was also great to wheel and hang out with everyone again, I had to get out sometime this summer And what a way to end it!
good job, thanks bri
Old 08-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #13
PappaF2
Veteran Member

It was great to get out this weekend and do some hard work on the Rubicon trail. I had a great time hanging out with all the ttora-ers that came, we had fun and got some good work done and we got to hang out with some other cool peeps too. Great pics Peri and Bob!
I had a blast, P.S. Brian I need to go to walmart and get one of those toys!
PappaF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:00 PM   #14
Dick Foster
Veteran Member

My Rig: 95.5 Tacoma

Thanks Mike and Bob and whomever else went. Insteas of doing the work party, I got to go whale watching and listen to the nautical equivalent of a full blown tree hugging maniac preah all day about shit she didn't have a clue about. Ah yes and what a wonderful day it was. There's nothing quite like being held captive and being forced ot listen to shit like that all day. It's a good damn thing it ended when it did because I was at the end of my rope. I was just about ready to go to the bridge and shove the mic up her stupid throat from the other end. And now I get to miss the Dusy trip too.

Did you guys run across Mark Rasmussen or any of the 4 Play gang? I told them to look you guys up.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:25 PM   #15
Brain
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaF2
It was great to get out this weekend and do some hard work on the Rubicon trail. I had a great time hanging out with all the ttora-ers that came, we had fun and got some good work done and we got to hang out with some other cool peeps too. Great pics Peri and Bob!
I had a blast, P.S. Brian I need to go to walmart and get one of those toys!
Soon Walmarts will have the larger 1:6 scale version of the scorpion, I think I might hold out for that one
Old 08-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #16
Brain
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
Thanks Mike and Bob and whomever else went. Insteas of doing the work party, I got to go whale watching and listen to the nautical equivalent of a full blown tree hugging maniac preah all day about shit she didn't have a clue about. Ah yes and what a wonderful day it was. There's nothing quite like being held captive and being forced ot listen to shit like that all day. It's a good damn thing it ended when it did because I was at the end of my rope. I was just about ready to go to the bridge and shove the mic up her stupid throat from the other end. And now I get to miss the Dusy trip too.

Did you guys run across Mark Rasmussen or any of the 4 Play gang? I told them to look you guys up.
I don't recall any 4 Play guys but I remember one guy from Blue Devil that said he's known you for like 20 years. And Toby's brother (Lavender bros) said he wanted you to follow him in his buggy LOL
Old 08-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #17
Mike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
I talked with those guys for awhile. They asked how come you never go wheeling. LOL!

Later,
....Mike
Old 08-22-2005, 02:59 PM   #18
Dick Foster
Veteran Member

Yeah right, smartass. I don't go wheeling with them much because their shit is always broke.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #19
Dick Foster
Veteran Member

That must have been Mark. I think it's been longer than 20 years too. More like 30 years.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #20
Mike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoteh
Finally got them all up!

http://cherokeespirit.com/toy/rubico...leanup8-20-05/

Mike, go ahead and snag away! I think I got the permissions set right this time so you shouldn't have a prob.
I put your pics on the NorCal server and put a link on the Pirate board. We'll let them kill our free bandwidth instead of whacking yours.

http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album165
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386513

Later,
....Mike

Last edited by Mike; 08-22-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #21
Dick Foster
Veteran Member

Toby's bother or Lavender bros is not ringing any bells.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #22
Kyoteh
Tawiton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I put your pics on the NorCal server and put a link on the Pirate board. We'll let them kill our free bandwidth instead of whacking yours.

Later,
....Mike
Sounds good Mike! Thanks!
Old 08-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #23
Reebles
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Reebles Send a message via Yahoo to Reebles

Thanks to you guys for going and devoting your time to the trail...I wish I could have been there, but have some family medical stuff going on right now...

"What's a fart when you already got shit in your pants" - Saulo
Reebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #24
Mike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebles
Thanks to you guys for going and devoting your time to the trail...I wish I could have been there, but have some family medical stuff going on right now...
My life pretty much revolves around wheeling, camping, and generally enjoying the outdoors. Putting in a work day here and there is really not a big sacrifice. Got to meet lots of cool people, and got to party at Rubicon Springs!

Later,
....Mike
Old 08-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #25
Reebles
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Reebles Send a message via Yahoo to Reebles

No, a day here and there is not alot at all....I will be at the Cantina buying Tacos to help the con

"What's a fart when you already got shit in your pants" - Saulo
Reebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #26
Mike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebles
No, a day here and there is not alot at all....I will be at the Cantina buying Tacos to help the con
The thought of trying to get up there on a three day holiday weekend makes me cringe. I may leave at midnight or something just to avoid traffic from hell.

The new forest order will probably be in effect by then which means no driving off of numbered official forest service system roads. No more driving down to Loon Lake, etc. I guess I could put my tent on the side of the road.

Later,
....Mike
Old 08-22-2005, 07:04 PM   #27
Big-A
and weeeeeeee

Send a message via MSN to Big-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoteh
I think ya should have just wrenched next weekend and hitched a ride like I did! I know having your own truck with you is the best but this was soooooo well worth it!
I agree with you Peri,I should have gone because I was mad all weekend that I couldnt go.......I shoulda went........damn,I was supposed to go.......I guess I was just a little ticked that I couldnt take my own truck because I have been dying to go on the Rubicon for a few years now,thumbs up to all who made it......you are the ones who truly care about the future of our trails and are truly dedicated and my apologies for flaking to all ........may the fleas of a thousand monkies infest my pubic hair
Old 08-22-2005, 08:38 PM   #28
BigBadBob0
Random Dude

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBob0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Not a bad spike
http://tinyurl.com/ah4cv

Last edited by BigBadBob0; 08-22-2005 at 09:52 PM. Reason: I messed up the URL pasting
BigBadBob0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:28 PM   #29
Mike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBob0
Not a bad spike
http://tinyurl.com/ah4cv
Was that supposed to go to a bandwidth usage graph?

Later,
....Mike

Last edited by BigBadBob0; 08-22-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:32 PM   #30
Mike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis3000
I agree with you Peri,I should have gone because I was mad all weekend that I couldnt go.......I shoulda went........damn,I was supposed to go.......I guess I was just a little ticked that I couldnt take my own truck because I have been dying to go on the Rubicon for a few years now,thumbs up to all who made it......you are the ones who truly care about the future of our trails and are truly dedicated and my apologies for flaking to all ........may the fleas of a thousand monkies infest my pubic hair
The NorCal chapter currently has 518 members. I was hoping for better than 1% turnout.

Bob and I decided to change the way the NorCal chapter works. Anyone who signs up gets on the email list so I can spam them with upcoming events, trip reports, environmental issues, etc.

But the members list will only show people who have actually driven their truck off the pavement at some point on one of our trips.

That should cut our membership down to about 20 or 30.

Later,
....Mike