recommended power steering fluid flush procedure? - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > New Members Area > Newbie Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
bibi_mwewe

Default recommended power steering fluid flush procedure?

Hi guys and gals. I have a 98 TRD V6 Tacoma that's about 200k miles young. To make a long story short, when an axle bearing went out during a long road trip and I was forced to stop at a dealership to get it fixed (who ended up being really nice people for once, a shout out to Lake Charles LA Toyota), they told me that among other small maintenance needs, it could use a flush of the power steering fluid.

My question is, will it be good enough to pump out as much fluid from the reservoir as possible using my handy fluid evacuator, and then topping off with fresh ATF, or is there another way to more fully drain the system? Other than the fluid looking grimy, there are no symptoms of system weakness such as noises or stiffness in steering.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
bibi_mwewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
sasaholic
Veteran Member

yep suck as much out as you can top off drive around for a while and do it all over again to be sure all the old crap is out. atf is cheap anyways. my power steering was growling like a bitch, and when i sucked the old fluid out it looked like mollasses topped of drove a while did it again and my steering is smooth and noice free.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Tacoma4life
Veteran Member

Exactly, you can pump (or drain via disconnecting the return line) and fill three times with a single quart of fluid. Just drive around a few miles (or start and idle it a bit) after each fill. My PS fluid is super clear and fresh now.

In case you want a fluid recommendation, I used Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF fluid and it works great. Dextron II ATF is what it requires, not power steering fluid...

2002 Double Cab Prerunner to 4x4 swap
2.7 (3RZ) with a 5-speed manual
Manual locking hubs
Aussie Locked front diff
Trail Gear rock sliders
Home made bumpers and skids
Airbag delete/dash swap from a 1997 (because I wanted too...)
Tacoma4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
ikrete

you could use denaturated alcohol (blue stuff) ,cleans very well
ikrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
ShowStop
Member Dismemberer

My Rig: 95.5 Tacoma
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop

Follow the steps detailed in this thread:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103145
ShowStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
bibi_mwewe

Thanks, everyone. I had searched in this particular forum for advice, didn't think to check in Early Tech for details. Sounds like either sticking with repeated use of the Mityvac or pulling off the return hose would work just fine...
bibi_mwewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
firewood

My '09 (4.0 V6) has around 56-57K miles on it. When doing the seat belt bolt recall work at the dealer, they wanted to flush/replace the steering fluid for $99.00, saying it was very dark.

1.) Is this a good age/mile mark to do this job?
2.) Can I do a reasonably good job myself draining (turkey baster), running, and refilling a few times, or is it significantly better to have them do it?
3.) If I do, what fluid should I buy for this vehicle?

Also, is this a good time to bleed/flush/replace brake fluid?
July '09 White SR5 TRD Off-Road Tow Package Access Cab; 4.0, 5-sp automatic; rear susp. TSB, ARE fiberglass cap/topper. Looking for woods-driving and firewood hauling/towing suggestions. I like dark beer too.
firewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
Dick Foster
Veteran Member

My Rig: 95.5 Tacoma

I would recommend NOT running the pump dry. If it makes unlubed metal to metal contact at any time the pump will be done for as you'll score the walls of the pump cavity. I've had them apart a few times. It has metal vanes in a metal cavity.

BTW Toy says use ATF instead of PS fluid. I run Redline which is good for either type of system. It's expensive but good stuff.

Drain, then fill the system. Crank up the engine then turn the wheel lock to lock a couple of times then shut it down and walk away for a couple of hours to let any bubbles or foam settle out. Restart then top up as necessary. Job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStop View Post
Follow the steps detailed in this thread:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103145
Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
DETrOi529

My Rig: 1991 Toyota XCab 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewood View Post
My '09 (4.0 V6) has around 56-57K miles on it. When doing the seat belt bolt recall work at the dealer, they wanted to flush/replace the steering fluid for $99.00, saying it was very dark.

1.) Is this a good age/mile mark to do this job?
2.) Can I do a reasonably good job myself draining (turkey baster), running, and refilling a few times, or is it significantly better to have them do it?
3.) If I do, what fluid should I buy for this vehicle?

Also, is this a good time to bleed/flush/replace brake fluid?
It originally went in for seat belt bolt work. The dealer trying to make some money if asking about power steering fluid.
DETrOi529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
firewood

Very delayed response, but better late than never. I figured that is what has been going on; the dealer is doing forced free work and they want money. The steering has been fine, and I figure I should wait a while before doing it. Is there a recommended odometer mark for replacing the steering fluid?
July '09 White SR5 TRD Off-Road Tow Package Access Cab; 4.0, 5-sp automatic; rear susp. TSB, ARE fiberglass cap/topper. Looking for woods-driving and firewood hauling/towing suggestions. I like dark beer too.
firewood is offline   Reply With Quote