Vibration under Acceleration? - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Late Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
WesJ

Default Vibration under Acceleration?

My truck has developed a BAD vibration when accelerating. It is present from 1 mph all the way up to 55 (highest Ive had it since starting) and only when I am accelerating. It goes away when I am coasting. I thought it could be a tire but it is very obvious at 1-10 mph so that leads me to believe that is way too slow to get a vibration from an out of balance tire. Next I thoguht it could be the torque converter on the tranny but I would think that I would have some shifting/power transmission issues if that was the cause. Anyone got any ideas as to what it could be? Im at a loss and really would like to fix it myself so I dont get GOUGED by a shop to do the work.

Thanks,

Wes
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
rocket-scientist

Sounds like a drive shaft issue. Check for play in your drive shaft, carrier bearing, and joints. If that seems alright you can try to mess with the balance on the shaft. Find the weights on the shaft and see if any are obviously missing. Try adding a large hose clamp with some small weight in the same area as the factory weights and test drive. Try moving the weight around the shaft to see if the vibrations change (get worse or go away). If that helps some you should have the shaft rebalanced or replaced.

2010 TRD Off Road Access Cab
All Pro Sliders
ARB bull bar
Budbuilt skids
ICON 2.5 / 2.0 Res
255-85R16 KM2s on stock wheels
rocket-scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
WesJ

That was my initial thought but I moved away from that thought since I am only getting the vibration when accelerating and not coasting but yet the driveline was spinning the whole time. Hopefully I can borrow a buddies jackstands in the next day or two and put it on jackstands and run it to investigate further.

Wes
Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
LHBANDIT

I'm in this same boat, and sinking fast.

From all the reasearch on this I've dug up on this site, It seems as though most owners experiance this vibration reguardless of a lift or not. The weakest link seems to be the carrier bearing support for the two piece driveshaft, which in turn could be excentuating the vibration coming from miss-alignment of the pinion angles? Yet, some owners say that a one piece driveshaft fixes the problem. I feel that a two piece driveshaft is actually a better design because "normally" it alleviates any excessive vibration that would normally be transfered from the rear end to the transfer case/ transmission via a one piece driveshaft.

It's an on going battle, but if you have the time, what needs to be done is a thorough checking of the pinion angles. This will require an 'inclinometer' and some math principles, but it should help alleviate our woes. Check out this site as an example:
http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...aft_Angles.htm
However, there is a world of information available to correctly setting up two-piece driveshafts.

It sucks that Toyota couldn't figure this out when in production, but the only thing to do now is either try and fix it, or live with it. I vote for the former. Keep us posted of your findings. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
shocktaco

I had the same problem. It would only vibe on accel turned out to be my U-joints. The stock unserviceable U-joint shit out all there oil and my needle bearings fried then my u-joint exploded. I bought all 3 new ones with a grease nips. This happened at 75k miles
Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
WesJ

mine is at 82k miles. I crawled under the truck last night and it looks like its the u-joint at the transmission. I am going to pick one up this afternoon and try to make time to put it in tonight and I will update the thread if that was the cause.

Thanks,

Wes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Aspec2zz

Send a message via AIM to Aspec2zz

Axle wrap? It definitely sounds like it's something driveline related. What type of rear lift are you running?
Aspec2zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
WesJ

none, bone stock suspension, only upgrade is shocks in the back. stock wheels and tires. thats why it has me confused too.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
shocktaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesJ View Post
mine is at 82k miles. I crawled under the truck last night and it looks like its the u-joint at the transmission. I am going to pick one up this afternoon and try to make time to put it in tonight and I will update the thread if that was the cause.

Thanks,

Wes
That's the same one that went out on my truck
Old 03-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
300wby

If its gotten steadily worse it sounds like it may be that your motor mounts have fatigued? I had some DLine vibs and took it into the shop and instead of doing any work on the rear end or DLine they replaced my motor mounts and the truck is great now. Well mostly great...i have a new vibe from about 5-10mph but I'll take the vibe at the low speeds just cant handle it at cruising speeds.
300wby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
WesJ

the culprit was the u-joint at the tranny, replaced it yesterday and all is back to normal.

wes