TTORA Forum banner

IFS Diff Help

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Ryber 
#1 ·
Regearing my FJC and ordered diffs from ECGS. Diffs came in this evening and the rear is installed and ready to go
Front will be done in the AM if I can figure out what is going on with the new one

The diff was removed and the long side housing was removed to put on the new center section
The problem is The clamshell has a male gear and shaft in the long side that looks like needs to come out to put in the new clamshell to mate with the female gear in the long side housing
There was some type of retaining ring over the male gear that came out fairly easy. The shaft/gear doesn't want to come out. Does it just take some more force or what?
here are some pics
Old clamshell with retaining ring, gear and shaft

New clamshell It needs those gears

Long side shaft that mates with the male gear/shaft

Does anyone have experience on how to remove that gear/shaft to put in the new clamshell ?
thanks
Don

See less See more
#2 ·
The gear/shaft is held in place with a c-clip just like your cv shafts. Just need to pry, use a puller, or yank it out with a slide hammer...

Factory Service Manuals

REMOVE DIFFERENTIAL SIDE GEAR INTER SHAFT
SUB-ASSEMBLY
(a) Using SST, remove the side gear inter shaft.
SST 09350-20015

#5 ·
When we did mine a few weeks ago we used a long wooden dowel or a long screw driver will work and pushed it out from the short shaft side. Put the dowel through the diff (short shaft side) line it up on the gear a few good taps with a rubber mallet and it came right out.

DIFFERENTIAL – FRONT DIFFERENTIAL CARRIER ASSEMBLY (for 4WD)
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/

#7 ·
You know what's funny I'm pretty sure that is the clamshell I exchanged from my truck....

#8 ·
I'm in the process of doing this right now.. For those who have done this with an ARB installed in the new unit.. Does the ring that comes out with the gear go back on to the new one with the ARB.. Theres a depth difference with the new diff and this ring doesnt sit in all the way.. the 2 legs on the back of it hit the bearing before its in all the way in and the air line is right where i goes as well.. I'm guessing it stays out but just want to be sure

#9 ·
Leave that piece out it will interfere with the copper air line as well. Did you get 4:88's or go with 4:56's?

#10 ·
Sweet.. thanks for the quick reply.. I ended up going with the 4:88s thanks to your earlier thread.. I've got the rear swapped last weekend.. Its great, just starting in first gear is like butter now.. With the 33s before almost felt like you were starting in 2nd gear.
What was the issue you had with the shift fork.. I just want to avoid the problem you had

#11 ·
#12 ·
Ya I took it out as one unit..and thats the thread ive been referring to through out the install.. Gotta love the comment "diff only weighs about 35 -45lbs".. That sucker with the tube and brkts on weighs 90lbs.. Bit of a handful laying on your back..

Well thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.