5 inch shackle on stock springs - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Pickup/Early 4Runner Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Camstoy86
Veteran Member

Default 5 inch shackle on stock springs

gonna order some trail-gear shackles to help level the saggy ass on my 4runner, what are the negative effects of going to a longer shackle?
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
TheAussie1
Gargle my sack

TG FTL, and I wouldn't run JUST longer shackles, get bigger springs too IMHO
Old 08-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Camstoy86
Veteran Member

well if I got springs I wouldn't need the shackles, I'd be too high
Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Ranger1

Send a message via Skype™ to Ranger1

Just get the springs...shackles are crap.

'99 SR5 4Runner

Not much of a Signature, huh?
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
TheAussie1
Gargle my sack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camstoy86 View Post
well if I got springs I wouldn't need the shackles, I'd be too high
I've got a mix of both on my truck and couldnt be happier
Old 08-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
yotabeast86

i dont see any problem with running longer shackles. easy and cheap way to level your ride. to be honest with you though id just make my own shackles it would be alot cheaper.

86 4runner, stock, resto project?/DD

2002 dodge 2500 cummins 4x4, 6spd, 125hp inj, power puck, 5 inch exaust turbo back, B&W hitch, tow rig
yotabeast86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
Camstoy86
Veteran Member

I'm gonna get decent shackles, not just cheap autozone specials. I just heard that you get more body roll and that it puts more stress on the springs if you go longer?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
green96taco
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to green96taco

What you get is axle wrap. It will make your springs get a negititve arch. You will get more body roll whenever you lift your vehicle.

Dustin

1995 Tacoma Extra cab, Billy 5100s, Toytec Coils, Bastard pack rears, 285s

1984 Trans Am 370 LSX/t56.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslytoy View Post
I know this one chick, she'll let you suck on her nipple you fucking titty baby. The kit is shit, not as in THE SHIT, but as in the stuff that comes from my asshole.
green96taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
Camstoy86
Veteran Member

will it improve flex at all?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
green96taco
Veteran Member

In short, it wont do anything good for you but give you your lift.That lift will soon disappear though as your springs begin to get a negitive arch. The only thing the shackle has going for it over a add a leaf is that it wont reduce flex where the extra leaf will.

Dustin

Quote:
I know this one chick, she'll let you suck on her nipple you fucking titty baby. The kit is shit, not as in THE SHIT, but as in the stuff that comes from my asshole.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
Camstoy86
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green96taco View Post
In short, it wont do anything good for you but give you your lift.That lift will soon disappear though as your springs begin to get a negitive arch. The only thing the shackle has going for it over a add a leaf is that it wont reduce flex where the extra leaf will.

Dustin
Hmmm ok thanks. I'm only looking to get about an inch, so would a small block work? I have a U bolt flip kit thats going in at the same time.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
green96taco
Veteran Member

Unfortuatly blocks are horrible too. Just add another leaf man. That's the only way to go

Quote:
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
Camstoy86
Veteran Member

Quote:
Unfortuatly blocks are horrible too. Just add another leaf man. That's the only way to go
ha alright thanks for the help man.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
sasaholic
Veteran Member

Quote:

Dustin
ur a moron and need to quite giving advice. longer shackles dont always make springs die faster(get longer bumpstops) and an addaleaf wont reduce flex(dont know how u figure it does) and longer shackles dont always mean axle wrap.(look at all the prerunner guys with 12 inch shackles)

to the op your leafs are sagging for a reason(there worn the F out) so adding and addaleaf shackle or block is only going to be a short term fix if u can even call it that. you need new springs or a set that arent so beat, but finding a good used stock set for your year probably aint gunna happen.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
blakeape

I have always liked longer shackles in the rear of a Toyota. They do improve flex because they allow the leaf spring to drop down further and compress back more. I have an 88 4runner that had the typical sag, I put some Dave's Offroad 1.5 lift rear shackles and an extra leaf from an 89 2wd pickup. It leveled the truck out and firmed the rear up just a little bit which I like because I pull a trailer and carry a dirt bike on a receiver hitch carrier.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #16
Camstoy86
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeape View Post
I have always liked longer shackles in the rear of a Toyota. They do improve flex because they allow the leaf spring to drop down further and compress back more. I have an 88 4runner that had the typical sag, I put some Dave's Offroad 1.5 lift rear shackles and an extra leaf from an 89 2wd pickup. It leveled the truck out and firmed the rear up just a little bit which I like because I pull a trailer and carry a dirt bike on a receiver hitch carrier.
did you have any problems with the springs going "negative" when you flexed it?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #17
sasaholic
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camstoy86 View Post
did you have any problems with the springs going "negative" when you flexed it?
with longer shackles and no extended bump stops they will always go negative. just extend the bumps like your supposed to and call it a day. how much you lift it is how much you need to extend them generally
Old 09-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #18
green96taco
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasaholic View Post
ur a moron and need to quite giving advice. longer shackles dont always make springs die faster(get longer bumpstops) and an addaleaf wont reduce flex(dont know how u figure it does) and longer shackles dont always mean axle wrap.(look at all the prerunner guys with 12 inch shackles)

to the op your leafs are sagging for a reason(there worn the F out) so adding and addaleaf shackle or block is only going to be a short term fix if u can even call it that. you need new springs or a set that arent so beat, but finding a good used stock set for your year probably aint gunna happen.
Your a douche bag, Longer shackles do kill your springs, I knew nothing about the longer bump stops. And Ive always seen on here that the short aal like pro comps kill the flex. I know this for a fact as well because I had them on my 96 taco. Just do yourself a favor and make some bastard packs like alot of people do on toyotas and jeeps and mix the leafs the way you want them.

Dustin

Quote:
Old 09-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
sasaholic
Veteran Member

Quote:
Your a douche bag, Longer shackles do kill your springs, I knew nothing about the longer bump stops. And Ive always seen on here that the short aal like pro comps kill the flex. I know this for a fact as well because I had them on my 96 taco. Just do yourself a favor and make some bastard packs like alot of people do on toyotas and jeeps and mix the leafs the way you want them.

Dustin
no they dont when set up properly.(proper angle, and not much negative arch). and if your in a tight spot i guarantee that short addaleaf will flatten right out. it will take more pressure to do so, just like my chevys but they sure will. thats why long addaleafs and multileafs are better. i ran a 7 leaf pack that i built to carry more weight from a set of tacoma old toyota and
s10 leafs and they flexed just fine
Old 09-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #20
jtaco1
What's Mommy Say?

Send a message via AIM to jtaco1

Here is my just go with the shackle if all you need is an inch or so. On my 88 4 Runner with nearly 300K on the stock suspension, I installed a 5" shackle to level it out with the heavy top. It worked perfect, now that I do not run the top it gives the rear about 1.5" over stock. With the longer rear shackle I am able to flex the springs much further than the stock shackle affords. My buddy runs a stock shackle on his 4 Runner witht e same suspension setup that I do and I have noticibly more flex in the rear than he does. He will lift a tire and mine will stay planted, and believe it or not, stock rear springs are quite flexy.

As for the use of bumpstops, this is also a big help with my setup as I have about 2-3" of verticle uptravel out back so that the tires do not get into the body too much. The springs do go into a slight negative arch, but hasn't been an issue. I have the bumpstop sitting about .75" off the u-bolt flip pad and the bump compresses about 2" or so adn works very well.

The comment about axle wrap can kill springs, yes it can, but in my experience this slightly longer shackle has had no ill effect on my rear springs, even with a nearly 200:1 crawl ratio running single digit tire presure with heavy ass 37" PitBull Rockers. Sure the springs wrap some, but hasn't been an issue yet in 3 years of heavy use.

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was
99' Toyota Tacoma Crushed by Toyota
jtaco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #21
Camstoy86
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco1 View Post
Here is my just go with the shackle if all you need is an inch or so. On my 88 4 Runner with nearly 300K on the stock suspension, I installed a 5" shackle to level it out with the heavy top. It worked perfect, now that I do not run the top it gives the rear about 1.5" over stock. With the longer rear shackle I am able to flex the springs much further than the stock shackle affords. My buddy runs a stock shackle on his 4 Runner witht e same suspension setup that I do and I have noticibly more flex in the rear than he does. He will lift a tire and mine will stay planted, and believe it or not, stock rear springs are quite flexy.

As for the use of bumpstops, this is also a big help with my setup as I have about 2-3" of verticle uptravel out back so that the tires do not get into the body too much. The springs do go into a slight negative arch, but hasn't been an issue. I have the bumpstop sitting about .75" off the u-bolt flip pad and the bump compresses about 2" or so adn works very well.

The comment about axle wrap can kill springs, yes it can, but in my experience this slightly longer shackle has had no ill effect on my rear springs, even with a nearly 200:1 crawl ratio running single digit tire presure with heavy ass 37" PitBull Rockers. Sure the springs wrap some, but hasn't been an issue yet in 3 years of heavy use.
thanks jtaco. like I said I only really need an inch and I heard that a longer shackle will help flex a little so i assumed thats the best way to go. I'd rather spend 70 bucks on TG shackles rather than dump 300 on new springs for 1 inch of lift. I'm only running 31's so I wouldn't imagine I would get too much axle wrap.