95 Tacoma - Blown Head Gasket - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Performance/Engine/Exhaust
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
Divine_Madcat

Exclamation 95 Tacoma - Blown Head Gasket

Ok, so here is my deal-

I bought a 95 Taco in Feb '04, and just this past week, had my head gasket blow on me. Now, thanks to me not reading my owners manual and registering with Toyota, i never recieved notice from Toyota about thier limited "campaign" to fix this exact problem; the campaign ended in Nov 04. So, i am now left with the dealership wanting to charge me $1700 for the service ($2100 if the heads need resurfacing); another local shop is looking at $1400.

So, i am left with the question of what i should do. Being in college, this will pretty much clean me out, but conversly, i need my car. Therefore, i ask:

1) How hard would the repair be for somebody with no experience in this kind of work? Would it even be worth trying it (since i could obvisouly end up doing more damage if i do it wrong).

2) Assuming i don't do it myself, is $1400-1700 too high? It seems like that is extremely pricey, especially for work once being done for free. But, with several shops asking around the same price, i feel that i may be out of luck.

3) Also, given the nature of the failure, is there anything i can look for on the truck to verify that indeed it is the head gasket? It seems with the proceedure being so expensive, the dealers would love to blame it (the mechanical problems) on the part. This is not the first time they tried this- back when my engine light came on in March 04, they tried telling me it was my Cat. Conv., when, after having another inspection, it was just the rear 02 sensor ($1000 vs $50).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Daniel.
Divine_Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
4xbrian

I just did one on my 95. Is yours a 4cyl? This is probably one of the most involved repairs to make, shy of a rebuild. It took me about a week, only being able to work on it after work. I think it ended up costing about $250 for the seal kit from Toyota, maybe another $100-$150 on other odds and ends along the way(resurfacing, pressure check, pcv valve, plugs, oil, antifreeze, etc.). Plus another $120 for a valve job.

What are the symtoms you're getting?

Any of these mean its probably blown, or the head is cracked.
-Check for oil circulating in the antifreeze.
-Pull out your plugs and look for antifreeze on top of the pistons, or one that looks WAY cleaner than the others.
-Pull your dipstick and see if the oil is milky looking.
-See if there is alot of steam coming out w/the exaust

Let me know if I can help you at all
4xbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
4xbrian

Oh, and it prob wasn't covered under that recall anyway. I checked mine and they said there were very few tacomas that were covered.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Divine_Madcat

4xbrian - Thank you for your fast reply.

The engine is the 3.4 v6, though i am not sure if that makes a huge difference in this case.

A week's time would be killer on me, as i would be under worse constraints (work and school).

I should have posted these at first, but the symptoms -
Rapid overheating and steam coming from the blow-off vent (from the radiator); The temp redlined. The check engine also came on, but i never got to check the actual code to see what it was saying. Unfortunatly, back when i had the truck, i had no idea what to look for, so i wasn't able to see if any of the things you described happened.

So, what do you think i should do? Fork over $1700, or keep looking, or doing myself?
Old 09-19-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
4xbrian

How many miles? That could be just overheating, maybe a new thermostat for $15! but overheating can definatly blow a head gasket. So you dont have the truck now? you'd really have to look for those things to know for sure. And at that price, I'd definitly find out for myself first. If there are none of those symtoms, I'd troubleshoot for cooling probs, water pump, radiator etc..
Old 09-19-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
Divine_Madcat

146.5K.

As for overheating, i agree that it may be something else. The oil was changed at 146K, so it will be easy to tell if it has been contaiminated or not. I may see if i can take a look at it today.

On that note- it overheated intially, i gave it some water (needed to get to work), and it overheated again (right as i got there), but once i got another infusion of anti-freeze/water, it made it to the dealership without overheating (or steam i belive). Now, the dealership is a good 12 miles from work, so, i would imagine that would be sufficient time to overheat again, no? I think i definatly need to check it out.

So, I'm going use your list and look for those symptoms.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
4xbrian

yeah, when mine blew i would have to add water all the time. I kept 2 antifreeze jugs in the bed! I had no choice but to drive it for a couple days, and i paid for it. I was on my way home and it would not stop overheating. Mine blew between the #1 cyl and a water jacket, so water was going into the cyl, hence the steam and clean piston. there are also oil jackets in there, and it could blow between one of those and a water one, then youd get the oil in the radiator and/or the nasty oil.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:47 PM   #8
mrbigbri
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to mrbigbri

<<<I checked mine and they said there were very few tacomas that were covered.>>>
Haha, every V6 Tacoma made in 1995, 1996, and up until Dec 1997 was covered under the Head Gasket Campaign.

I'm guessing those aluminum heads are cracked. They don't just warp like castiron heads. Add another $1000 to that quote and you're close. Full retail for a V6 Head Replacement is around $4k. Ask me (or Dick) how we know.

Brian
Old 09-19-2005, 11:56 PM   #9
hytenor
Going John Galt

My Rig: '00 Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat
4xbrian - Thank you for your fast reply.

The engine is the 3.4 v6, though i am not sure if that makes a huge difference in this case.

A week's time would be killer on me, as i would be under worse constraints (work and school).

I should have posted these at first, but the symptoms -
Rapid overheating and steam coming from the blow-off vent (from the radiator); The temp redlined. The check engine also came on, but i never got to check the actual code to see what it was saying. Unfortunatly, back when i had the truck, i had no idea what to look for, so i wasn't able to see if any of the things you described happened.

So, what do you think i should do? Fork over $1700, or keep looking, or doing myself?
I thought only the 3.0 v6s (pre Tacoma and 4Runners) were part of that recall. learn sumthing new everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
hytenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #10
4xbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigbri
<<<I checked mine and they said there were very few tacomas that were covered.>>>
Haha, every V6 Tacoma made in 1995, 1996, and up until Dec 1997 was covered under the Head Gasket Campaign.

I'm guessing those aluminum heads are cracked. They don't just warp like castiron heads. Add another $1000 to that quote and you're close. Full retail for a V6 Head Replacement is around $4k. Ask me (or Dick) how we know.

Brian
I meant 4cyls. apparently some of them were also. My VIN was off by just e few numbers. And my alum head was warped, but not cracked

Last edited by 4xbrian; 09-20-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:33 PM   #11
Divine_Madcat

Well guys, here it is on the 27th, and i now have more bad news-

It appears ever since I have had the car, the gasket has been a problem- they just covered it up with some liquid sealant. The problem is, the sealent didnt last, and the engine (more specifically, piston #4) has been getting damaged ever since. So now, the repair cost is up to around $4000; at this point, i am looking at a new engine, or more realistically, a new Tacoma.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #12
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Well guys, here it is on the 27th, and i now have more bad news-

It appears ever since I have had the car, the gasket has been a problem- they just covered it up with some liquid sealant. The problem is, the sealent didnt last, and the engine (more specifically, piston #4) has been getting damaged ever since. So now, the repair cost is up to around $4000; at this point, i am looking at a new engine, or more realistically, a new Tacoma.
I'd say you have a good case for Toyota to replace the engine. a long-block should do the trick

take it as high as you need to. There are at least 3 members who have gone through this and 2 of them were well out of warranty on the powertrains.
each has a new engine.
Quote:
Old 09-27-2005, 03:16 PM   #13
Divine_Madcat

Hytenor- you would'nt happen to have either of those member's names, would ya? Right now, i am looking at my options (new/rebuilt engine), and something like this would be a great help.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #14
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Hytenor- you would'nt happen to have either of those member's names, would ya? Right now, i am looking at my options (new/rebuilt engine), and something like this would be a great help.
I think Davidtaco in NM, Corey (deserttrd) in socal but I can't remember the third...Brian something.

If you have a premium Delphi you can find all the threads about them from way back. At least 2ys for one of them. I think Corey's was sometime last year. He has a '01 so may actually have still been under warranty. david has a '97, I believe and the other was a '96, I think.

someone help us out here!!
Quote:
Old 09-27-2005, 05:03 PM   #15
mrbigbri
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to mrbigbri

Quote:
Brian something.
Who, me? 8-) Yes, but Toyota replaced the top end only. And this was at 130,000 miles. The bottom end looked really clean like a new engine. Writing to the President of Toyota saved me $4,000. Don't tell them you heard it from me though. 8-)

Brian
Old 09-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #16
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigbri
Who, me? 8-) Yes, but Toyota replaced the top end only. And this was at 130,000 miles. The bottom end looked really clean like a new engine. Writing to the President of Toyota saved me $4,000. Don't tell them you heard it from me though. 8-)

Brian
Wee! thanks, I was hoping you'd see this one
Quote:
Old 09-27-2005, 05:49 PM   #17
Eztrog88
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Eztrog88

$4000, and ur a college student? I feel your pain man. Don't rush into anything, talk to some guys on here, they're beyond helpful. Realistically, if I were in your position, I'd be starting to look for a new truck while getting prices on rebuilt engines.
The way I see it, you can dump $4k+ into the truck you have, and you know exactly where your at, and exactly what to expect. Or you can spend $4k+ on a different truck. If you go with a 'new' truck, check it out first, bumper to bumper, inside and out otherwise its pretty much a crap-shoot as to what ur actually spendin gthe $4k on, ya know?

1998 Tacoma
Regular Cab 4x4
2.7L - 5-spd

TJM Front Bumper
Fabtech Coilovers with Fox Racing Shox
1.5" Shackle and Deaver 3-Leaf AAL
ATArmor Sliders
31x10.50 BFG ATs

(Anyone want to trade for my 3.58's ? )
Eztrog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:46 PM   #18
equin
Veteran Member

Whoa, don't pay $4K for a new/rebuilt engine! You should be able to get a used one from a salvage yard for much less - probably $1500. Heck, you can buy a whole Tacoma from a salvage yard for $1500!

Something similar happened to me back in 97 when the 3.0 V6 in my 92 4Runner blew a headgasket (those engines were even more notorious for blowing headgaskets than the early 3.4's). Toyota didn't even tell me there was a headgasket "campaign" (sometimes erroneously referred to as a "recall."). They wanted to charge me $1500-$1700 to replace it (a 9 to 12 hour job). One option I considered was replacing it with a used 3.0 with less miles. I was quoted $1500 for that, including labor, from a local shop. That was 8 years ago.

Today, you have plenty of 4Runners and Tacomas that came with 3.4's, so you should be able to find a salvaged one, preferably a 98 and up, that you could swap in for about $1500 if it looks like your engine is toast. But that's still not determined yet, though.

Like someone else said, I would press Toyota to foot the bill on this. They know these early 3.4's have had headgasket problems for years. I'd just be determined and relentless with them til they decide to foot the bill. If worse comes to worse and they refuse, then you can always try swapping it out with a newer 98 and up used 3.4. Just call your local shops and engine dealers and ask for price quotes.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:08 PM   #19
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by equin
Whoa, don't pay $4K for a new/rebuilt engine! You should be able to get a used one from a salvage yard for much less - probably $1500. Heck, you can buy a whole Tacoma from a salvage yard for $1500!

Something similar happened to me back in 97 when the 3.0 V6 in my 92 4Runner blew a headgasket (those engines were even more notorious for blowing headgaskets than the early 3.4's). Toyota didn't even tell me there was a headgasket "campaign" (sometimes erroneously referred to as a "recall."). They wanted to charge me $1500-$1700 to replace it (a 9 to 12 hour job). One option I considered was replacing it with a used 3.0 with less miles. I was quoted $1500 for that, including labor, from a local shop. That was 8 years ago.

Today, you have plenty of 4Runners and Tacomas that came with 3.4's, so you should be able to find a salvaged one, preferably a 98 and up, that you could swap in for about $1500 if it looks like your engine is toast. But that's still not determined yet, though.

Like someone else said, I would press Toyota to foot the bill on this. They know these early 3.4's have had headgasket problems for years. I'd just be determined and relentless with them til they decide to foot the bill. If worse comes to worse and they refuse, then you can always try swapping it out with a newer 98 and up used 3.4. Just call your local shops and engine dealers and ask for price quotes.

Good luck!
agreed. worst case...get a used motor from the Japan motor yards for under $2k depending on what they have in stock. I've called and gotten prices from $1200-$2400. it all depends on what they have on hand and where they are located. Oakland, South San Francisco and Long Beach have outlets in Cali. I know there are a couple on the east coast as well. They ship anywhere.
all their motors have around 35k miles.

BUT...press Toyota on this. PM Brian and get the scoop on what he wound up doing. They are actually pretty good once they see you are serious about it. If you give up after the first couple of levels you'll never know if the next one might have come through so keep pushing!
Quote:
Old 10-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #20
Divine_Madcat

Well, just another update- Toyota was a no go, so i ordered another engine. Hopefully, it will be installed by tommorow, and i will be good to go. Of course, i have no idea of what to do with the OTHER motor. Is there a market for engines NEEDING a rebuild?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #21
tcmaboy
Glass is for sissies

Usually you have to give the old engine back when you order a new one. Unless you ordered it from a wrecking yard.

Tread Lightly! Tread Trainer
tcmaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #22
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Well, just another update- Toyota was a no go, so i ordered another engine. Hopefully, it will be installed by tommorow, and i will be good to go. Of course, i have no idea of what to do with the OTHER motor. Is there a market for engines NEEDING a rebuild?
no core charge on the "new" motor?
where did you get it? how much?
how hard did you push Toyota?
Quote:
Old 10-11-2005, 06:51 AM   #23
Divine_Madcat

Correct, there was no core charge. The place i ordered from is out of New Jersy, and cost around $1400 IIRC. The guy at the shop said it looked fine, so it should be put in today. Past that, the old engine is still mine.

As for toyota, i probably could have pushed harder, but with those i spoke to, i got the same basic response that i did from the dealers - any help that i had was expired, and that this cost was my own.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:14 AM   #24
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Correct, there was no core charge. The place i ordered from is out of New Jersy, and cost around $1400 IIRC. The guy at the shop said it looked fine, so it should be put in today. Past that, the old engine is still mine.

As for toyota, i probably could have pushed harder, but with those i spoke to, i got the same basic response that i did from the dealers - any help that i had was expired, and that this cost was my own.
bummer on the no-help front
that sounds like a decent price for the motor though.
now you have one to play with/rebuild and sell
Quote:
Old 10-11-2005, 11:33 AM   #25
Divine_Madcat

Yeah, i have considered that actually. Perhaps bore all the cylinders, make her a bit more powerful... or, just rebild it and sell it for 3-4 grand, and be done. Or, sell it for a couple hundred here for somebody else to play with. Im not too sure yet.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:49 PM   #26
4xbrian

Quote:
Yeah, i have considered that actually. Perhaps bore all the cylinders, make her a bit more powerful... or, just rebild it and sell it for 3-4 grand, and be done. Or, sell it for a couple hundred here for somebody else to play with. Im not too sure yet.
congrats on the new motor! Whaer are you at? I might be interested in the old one.....
Old 10-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #27
Divine_Madcat

In New Mexico (ABQ to be exact). Im not sure on shipping, but the motor i got only cost ~90 to ship. I cant imagine that i cant drop the old one on the same pallet, and get it shipped.

Either way, let me look into it, and see what i can tell ya. I should know alot more tommorow when i go pick her up (assuming the install goes well today).
Old 10-11-2005, 03:01 PM   #28
Divine_Madcat

For the love of god....

The place i ordered from sent the wrong f*cking engine! They sent a 4x2, and i have the 4x4; so, they have to rip everything off my engine, and put it on this one. The bill (just for this repair) is now up to $2600, plus the cost of the replacement WRONG engine). I just wanna scream right now.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:11 PM   #29
TuRD03

OMG sorry to hear that! So what did toyota do to the heads post 1998 to remedy the gasket problem?
TuRD03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #30
KStacoma

Send a message via AIM to KStacoma

Quote:
For the love of god....

The place i ordered from sent the wrong f*cking engine! They sent a 4x2, and i have the 4x4; so, they have to rip everything off my engine, and put it on this one. The bill (just for this repair) is now up to $2600, plus the cost of the replacement WRONG engine). I just wanna scream right now.
Jesus man talk about a damn mess. That is really shitty you've had to deal w/all that. I can't imagine if I got a bill like that being a broke ass college student myself. I hope everything works out for ya!
KStacoma is offline   Reply With Quote