Complete teardown and rebuild questions (paint, bodywork, paint prep, rebuild) - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Exterior/Paint/Body Panel Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
RickerRicker19
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1998 4runner 4x4
Send a message via AIM to RickerRicker19 Send a message via MSN to RickerRicker19
Red face Complete teardown and rebuild questions (paint, bodywork, paint prep, rebuild)

I am doing a ton of research right now over all kinds of things to accomplish with my truck and now that I have the guts figured out I need to figure out what I need to do to prep a truck for painting as well as a good brand for primer/paint/clearcoat. I'm going to remove the body after I get back and right now while I'm doing my research I'm also doing a little bit of recruiting for help. With the military early is often better since we have deployments and such. Plus it's good to get to know the guys you're working with better than we both like to wrench on trucks lol. I think I have the rust part figured out. I'm planning on sandblasting or wirebrushing the body/frame to get all the big stuff off and to remove the paint from the body. I am going with eastwood products to remove rust completely and rustproof/paint the frame. Seems like really good stuff and there were a couple of people praising it on here too. So now with the frame out of the way now to the body.

I know how to dent a truck.....how do you undent the truck lol? I know that sounds stupid but I started looking at the tools in the hobby shop....and decided I needed some advice. There were all kinds of hammers....bendy things, weird looking tools let me tell you but I'm sure there is a correct way to use them.

After I've got the body work taken care of and I've repaired the rust and welded and sanded sheet metal to fill any holes that I have (only a couple of small ones in the bed. Is there any further prep work to do to the metal itself? I can't spray the truck myself in the hobby shop but I only pay 50 bucks plus paint to have one of the techs do it. He's been painting for something like 30 years and worked in a hot rod shop so he told me the sky is the limit on what I wanted to do. I only want a basic two tone with blue on the hood and white on the side, and then bedliner up to 6" on the body and 3" over the fenders.

I am also going to be removing all the accessories off of the body so that it is straight metal inside and out (the whole thing needs to be painted and rust fixed so I figure to do it right the first time to kill all of the cancer) Are there pieces I shouldn't reuse (ie brake lines or fuel lines) and just buy new when I rebuild.

Also how do you clean an engine. My block is rusted and dirty looking. I think I'll powder coat it and probably the tranny and t-case too unless that's a bad idea.

Oh and one more question to top off all of the other seemingly retarded questions lol. I figure that with stuff that's rusted like the brake booster, master cyl, and other accessories I would just use some rustoleum or similar rust inhibitive paint but is that what I should use on that stuff or should I use something else?

Other than that I was also thinking of replacing the splash guards with sheet metal as the stuff that is on my truck is trashed, I haven't really been able to find a replacement part for them, but I do want to keep water from splashing on the block when I drive it on the road....or if I find some water in the middle of the desert lol.

I know all of these questions seem like I'm going to turn this thing into a street queen but I'm not planning that at all. What I want to do is ensure that all of my parts/body is protected with paint and I don't have to worry about this truck falling apart on me 10 years down the road. I don't buy vehicles often and whenever I pick one up I like to fix everything and make it like it was new if I can. The interior is the last thing on the list and I am pretty sure that along the line I can pick up a new dash and stuff like that whenever I get the chance. What I want is a baseline for me to work off of in the maint of this truck. I love driving this thing and I smile everytime that I hop in to drive to work.
Slowly learning one repair at a time
RickerRicker19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
KRYPTO(dale)
concussed

sell that project and save up to buy a decent completed rig.you will be time and money ahead.
(looking back,thats what i should've done)
you are looking at tons of labor and many hours of time.
plus the costs of bodywork/paint supplies is expensive.
lfmf.

black and blue.
ttora member since '99
'95.5 wheeler built,crashed,rebuilding
'05 klr650 my one wheel drive taco!
This thing is a pile of shit that smells like the hole of a dead high mileage whore.
KRYPTO(dale) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
AK 82toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTO(dale) View Post
sell that project and save up to buy a decent completed rig.you will be time and money ahead.
lfmf.
wheres the fun in that??

rick as for your rust problem heres a product i swear by. http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut..._Treatment.htm
also, beings as you have limited experence in this stuff heres some good reading for you. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...s/Maintenance/ also heard good stuff about POR products.

you probably dont want to powdercoat your engine or trany, it requires going into an oven to bake the powder on.

since you have a good idea on the paint. try runnin a piece of blue scotchtape where you want the paint to break so you can stand back walk around and realy get a better feel for it.
just added 3 inches of lift ford 58" springs rear, rears added to front pack, sliders (home made), electric fan, 120 amp delco alternator (what a bitch).
I make my OWN rules!!!
AK 82toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
RickerRicker19
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1998 4runner 4x4
Send a message via AIM to RickerRicker19 Send a message via MSN to RickerRicker19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTO(dale) View Post
lfmf.
Ya know I have looked at completed rigs but the main reason I don't want to do that is because if I buy a completed rig....and I break down I won't know 99% of the stuff that I'm learning by fixing this one up. Like AK said....it is fun in having a project. I do all kinds of things from carpentry, vehicles(learning), nitro RC, to building computers. After all is said and done I might put 6 months to a year into building this truck but I will be in heaven for that amount of time.

The reason I was thinking about powder coating is because it is a high heat paint that is VERY resistant to rocks (as far as a paint goes) and the hobby shop has an oven to do the work with. I wouldn't think that you'd have to take everything out to bake the engine.....it cures at 400F for 20min.....and you might be able to cure it slower at a temperature that is lower....I'll have to do research on that.
Slowly learning one repair at a time
RickerRicker19 is online now   Reply With Quote