TTORA Forum banner

Upgrading gauges in a '93 truck

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SGAslider 
#1 ·
I am almost finished with a motor swap in my son's 1993 4X4 truck. The old motor overheated, headgasket blown, bottom of engine old, etc = all new motor. Anyway...

I was not happy that the standard truck instrument cluster (temp, speed, gas) gave us no warning of his problems. The truck would run fine, then if he stopped or turned off the road, temp would skyrocket, coolant boilover, etc. So...I made sure to include a new temp sensor in the rebuild. Here is my question (finally)

I would like to upgrade his instument cluster to show actual temp and actual oil pressure instead of a dummy gauge for temp and an idiot light for oil.

1) Can I install a full instrument cluster from an SR5 truck? Will it plug right up? Will I need a new instrument cluster witring harness? Is this a major project (new harness, tach wiring, etc)

2) Assuming option #1 is out, I am prepared to install some aftermarket elctronic gauges. This was actually my initial thought, but my son doesn't want gauges stuck everywhere. We may not have a choice.

2A) Can I splice the new aftermarket guage wires into the existing wires near the sensors on the engine? I am thinking this will give us double protection - the original dummy gauge/light AND the new guages. I don't want to completely remove the old gauge system for fear the 'check engine' light will illuminate, but I REALLY want some real gauges!

I think the temp gauge will fit above the dash light dimmer and I will fabricate a 'box' for the oil pressure to fit against the windshield in the corner.

Opinions?

See less See more
#3 ·
VERY COOL!!!!
I could do this...

I did notice you started with an SR5 cluster. We have a standard cluster, but if I am drawing the right conclusions from the pics, we could gut the cluster we have and do the same thing...

It is definitely worth a look

Thanks, BOVADS

#5 ·
You can swap clusters but you will need to make sure that the speedometer is a wire like your 1993. depending on the year some were wire and some were cable. Also, the oil pressure sending unit will need to be changed for the gauge. instead of the light. If you use the sending unit for the light on the gauge it could damage the gauge.

#6 ·
Thanks, guys.

We actually just went ahead and put in the aftermarket mechanical guages. We really need to get this motor back in and going. It was a slight pain in the rear, but I am feeling better about it all.

'Course that is usually the first indication that i have REALLY screwed up! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.