possible ECM relocation - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Pickup/Early 4Runner Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
corax

Default thoughts on ECM relocation . . .

I took off the dash today for some cosmetic repairs and noticed that there's a bunch of room behind there. So I pulled the ECM out from behind the passenger side kick panel to see how much room. 4crawler has already proven that the ECM can be relocated to the glove box to raise it up a bit higher, and that would probably be fine for 99.9% of the situations most of us would run into. The only problem is that I don't really want to give up the space in the glove box + I don't like the idea of the wires in my aging harness flexing back and forth every time I open the glove box (bend a paperclip back and forth a few times and see what happens).

Looks like it'd fit (might even be able to get the middle dash mount nut above the ECM back on):

So I set the dash pad back on and stuck the camera in the hole where the far right vent used to be.
Here's the clearance to the dash pad:

Firewall side clearance:

It'd be a little bit of work. Making brackets would be the easy part since there are holes at all 4 corners of the ECM to mount a sheet metal bracket to. The side towards the rear of the vehicle would be cake, the firewall side might need a little bit of creativity to mount to something solid and keep the ECM from bouncing.

The hardest part would be making the harness long enough to reach it, but I have an idea on that also. So next time I make a junkyard run I'm going to see if I can snag a new set of male ECM connectors and snip the female half of the ECM connector off of the board. From there I hope to epoxy the male terminals (in the female connector) into place so they don't move and just run wire between the two for a plug-and-play harness extension. You might be able to see in the pic below why I'll need to epoxy the terminals in place - the terminals don't move because they're all soldered directly to the board, there's no much in the plastic connector to hold them in place.

*NOTE* this ECM is for a 7MGE engine, but the 22RE ECM is the same size

Anyway, this is a project for further down the road and I'll need to gather some parts first, but I wanted to get everyone thinking about it a bit and see if there are any downsides . . .
'88 4runner SR5 - 3L 7MGE - Marlin HD W56 - 4.56 V6 Thirds - 7.5" Supra LSD up front - 33x10.5 KM2's - home fab front and rear bumpers - OME Dakar rear springs w/ Bilstein 5150 reservoir shocks - Garage thread

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
corax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
hunter4runner
Banned

why not just cut a new hole in the firewall for the harness to come through? no extension needed.
hunter4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
corax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4runner View Post
why not just cut a new hole in the firewall for the harness to come through? no extension needed.
That's a really good idea, and in my case might just work since the harness crosses over from the driver side - I'll have to check on that tomorrow, if it's gonna be that simple I'll probably get it done before putting the dash back in.
'88 4runner SR5 - 3L 7MGE - Marlin HD W56 - 4.56 V6 Thirds - 7.5" Supra LSD up front - 33x10.5 KM2's - home fab front and rear bumpers - OME Dakar rear springs w/ Bilstein 5150 reservoir shocks - Garage thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Yotaoffroad27
Veteran Member

nvm I didnt read your whole post

My Transmission swap

V8 4.7L swap

99 Tacoma- Stockish

87 4Runner- Not so Stockish

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Darcy* View Post
.. I know you're extremely knowledgeable
Yotaoffroad27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
TheAussie1
Gargle my sack

BUMP, I like that idea
Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
bigarms23
Veteran Member

id go glove box that way you have easy access to it
Old 03-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
corax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarms23 View Post
id go glove box that way you have easy access to it
that was the first time I ever pulled the dash off this truck and it only took 15 minutes. How often do you need to get to the ECM?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
hunter4runner
Banned

Once every 30 years when the ecm frys
Even though the FSM always default to the ECM if you can track down a problem rarely have I seen one fail, due to time. Now water I've seen a ton fail due to water
Old 03-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
corax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4runner View Post
Now water I've seen a ton fail due to water
Yep, my windshield leaked onto this one and gave me a no start last year.
Luckily I diag'd it quick enough and saw the water drops on it. I took it apart, flushed it out with rubbing alcohol and dried it with my wife's hair drier - been working great since

Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
mattsonmj

My Rig: 97 Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by corax View Post
Yep, my windshield leaked onto this one and gave me a no start last year.
Luckily I diag'd it quick enough and saw the water drops on it. I took it apart, flushed it out with rubbing alcohol and dried it with my wife's hair drier - been working great since
While you've got everything disassembled might be a good time to think up some waterproofing ideas. Does the ECM need air for cooling or could it be put in some type of sealed box? Maybe skip that and just put some type of electronics friendly RTV sealant on the seams of the ECM itself.
mattsonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
4runnerchevy

My Rig: 1986 4 Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by corax View Post
How often do you need to get to the ECM?
I personally, like my A&W root beer float next to my ECU, next to the glove box cup holder. I like my glove box full of wiring and sensitive equipment, but thats just me. Never know when I'll swap some other motor in my runner, its kinda nice having access to the ECU.

Great idea ! Keith.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
corax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsonmj View Post
Maybe skip that and just put some type of electronics friendly RTV sealant on the seams of the ECM itself.
- After water got in from the windshield leak, I taped the seams and all of the extra mounting holes. The connectors face downwards, so I'm not too worried about water getting past them unless I go for a swim

Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
hunter4runner
Banned

4crawler had his in a large ziplock, which saves it from splashed and light water, rtv or tape around the edge and dialectic grease on the inside and I don't see water being a huge issue