1989 pickup 22r (MAF issue?) - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Pickup/Early 4Runner Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
sinful

Default 1989 pickup 22r (MAF issue?)

hi,

its been awhile the last time i was here. i used to own a 98 tacoma and got a lot of great help from you guys !

now i own an older pickup...its a 89 pickup hard body with the 22r engine. heres my problem and i hope you guys can help me out. i just bought it yesterday and today I messed up. i was changing the spark plugs (put some bosch platinum), then i removed the air filter to clean it, and heres where I messed up....i removed the two screws from the MAF connector and attempted to unplug the hardness from the MAF. i did this to try to take apart the sensor and clean it with some alky and q-tips. well i couldnt really take it out so i put everything back the same way and now the engine wont start. it just cranks.

did i mess something up badly? did i break it?

sinful is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
sinful

i just read somewhere that is possible the MAF inside door may have stuck closed or open. i really hope thats the problem. ill check tomorrow. in the meantime any other thoughts..plz share.

thanks

btw i did all this because there some light bucking and rocking under light acceleration. it goes away with more gas but def is not normal. it also want to stall with the AC on. also im suspecting bad mpg. the new plugs did not make a difference. but again it seems the truck needs some work. old spark plugs, old cap/rotor, etc etc. needs minor work
Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
mosk22rte

If you never got the connector out of the AFM body it's unlikely you damaged it. That connector is held in with silicone, and needs to be sliced free with a razor or Exacto. It's hard to be 100% sure without seeing it, but in my experience 22RE AFMs are actually pretty forgiving. This is assuming that all you did was try to remove the electrical connector. If you loosened the flat wound spring without noting its position first, moved the position of the armature relative to the shaft it attaches to, well, you could be pretty screwed. But you didn't say you did those things, so as long as you didn't you should be OK.

Let me ask a different question: is this a manual trans truck? If it is, are you attempting to start it without depressing the clutch pedal? 'Cause...that would be your problem if that were the case. Just a thought, as I've seen people new to these trucks pull their hair out trying to figure that one out. And if that isn't the case, well, give us some more details about what you did and what it does when you turn the key...
Converting an early Taco from auto to manual?
My PDF of first gen. Tacoma ECU pinout comparisons will help!

Last edited by mosk22rte; 10-18-2011 at 01:26 PM.
mosk22rte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
sinful

let me clarify....

i removed the two philip screws from the connector to the MAF assembly. i gently tried to pull it and half way I noticed there was some other connected attached and looked complicated. so i pushed it back and tightened the screws......attempted to start the engine......nothing. it just turns over but it wont fire up.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
sinful

you know how in some MAF units the sensor itself can be removed from the assembly...and once is out you can easily clean the tin small wire off the sensor? i attemped to do that but didnt get that far. i basically left the maf connection plugged, didnt touch anyrthing, instead i jumped into removing the screws first, once they were loose, i attempted to remove everything at once.

but im going to double check right now. i wanted to do this first thing this morning but im a lil sick.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
mosk22rte

OK, just to be clear: if this is from a 1989 22RE, this is an air flow meter (AFM), not a mass air flow sensor (MAF). They work very differently.

1985-1995 Toyota trucks with 22RE and 22RTE motors, aka "pre-Tacoma trucks", have an AFM. (the 1984-88 trucks used a different AFM than the 89-95 ones, but we'll skip over that for now...)

1989-1995 22RE AFM:

Tacomas with 3RZ or 5VZE motors have a MAF.

MAF:

Maybe post a picture so we can be sure we are talking about the same piece of equipment, OK?

Jeff
Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
sinful

sorry yes its an air flow meter. the picture above.

i discovered the problem. my dumb self broke some solder connections inside the meter when i removed the two screws and pulled the piece out. i was lucky enough though, we managed to solder it back together and now the truck is running.

advise. never loosen those two screws.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
mosk22rte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinful View Post
we managed to solder it back together and now the truck is running.
Well, that's the important part. Glad you got it sorted out.

Jeff