To replace or not replace.....wheel bearing cups - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Rock Crawling Tech > Solid Axle Swap Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
dyogim
Veteran Member

Default To replace or not replace.....wheel bearing cups

I've replaced my wheel bearing cups (inner and outer for my HP44) when replacing the bearings in the past but, have always noticed the surface to be unmarked and looked as the day I bought them. I know they sell them separate from the bearings and they are not that expensive to replace. What are your thoughts on replacing the bearing cups or keep them and just replace the bearings?
SFA '00 Toyota Tundra V8(#5)
dyogim.blogspot.com
dyogim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
taco4x4rar
Veteran Member

My Rig: 06 Tacoma
Send a message via AIM to taco4x4rar

You talking about the races? I've always thought (and practiced) that when you replace a bearing, always replace the race along with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecwboy View Post
I'm still a homo!
http://toyotaoff-road.com/
Randy
2006 Tacoma x-cab, flat bed, leaf sprung Dana 44, Dana 60/ 14 bolt coming soon
1992 Chevy C-1500 swapped D60/14bolt 454 and th400 (wrecked it)
taco4x4rar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
dyogim
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4rar View Post
You talking about the races? I've always thought (and practiced) that when you replace a bearing, always replace the race along with it.
So have I but, I've always noticed that the races are always sold separately from the bearings. If it was really reaquired, I would think the races and bearings would be packaged together.
dyogim.blogspot.com
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
NorcalPR
NorCal Chapter Pres

My Rig: SAS'd 01 Tacoma
Send a message via AIM to NorcalPR

Bearings will always wear into a race even if you can't see it with the human eye

Not to mention some manufactures may sell the same part number, but the taper or dimensions are very slightly different

It's like replacing brake rotors, but not changing the brake pads...

Do you live in NorCal? Have you checked out the NorCal Section located here? If not check in today!
NorcalPR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
TRoss
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1985 Toyota Ext PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4rar View Post
x2 typical maintenance practice. Get the "matched set" (bearing and race together in the box from the manufacturer... it's cheap and easy insurance.

Project BR
TRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
Jomentum
Old sleepy guy

My Rig: 97 T100 Sas on 36's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyogim View Post
So have I but, I've always noticed that the races are always sold separately from the bearings. If it was really reaquired, I would think the races and bearings would be packaged together.
Different bearings/race combinations, fit multiple applications..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasaholic View Post
its spelled BITCH and thats exactly what u are
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMINATOR View Post
my girlfriend works
Jomentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
dyogim
Veteran Member

Started changing out my front wheel bearings/races last night. Come to find out the inner race had a crack. I believe this was causing the "flat" spot when the driver side was rotating. So, as everyone else has stated and what I've always done in the past, it's best to change the races when changing the bearings.

In the process of installing the new bearings/races. The inner bearing/race was the wrong one (Timken part# Set37). Autozone gave the ones for the small bearing instead of the big bearing. Going back today to get the right ones. Luckily, at around 10pm AngryAndy found a brand new spare inner bearing/race in his garage. Picked it up and finished the install for the driver side. Now, to get the correct bearings and finish the other side tonight.

As a note, I got all Timken bearing/races/seals from Autozone for around $85 total. Outer bearing/race Timken part# Set45, Inner bearing Timken part# LM104949, Inner race Timken part# JLM104910, Wheel hub seal Timken part# 471271. Parts Mike has the complete kit for around $72(plus shipping and tax).
dyogim.blogspot.com