Roof rack rails for factory SnugTop shell - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Early Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 10-16-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
asteffes

Default Roof rack rails for factory SnugTop shell

I'm ordering my '06 Taco 4x4 with the SnugStop shell. I found a SnugTop dealer who can install the roof rack tracks on the shell for me for a pretty reasonable price. Is there anything special I should know about having this done? Has anyone experienced any cracking or other problems when wheeling with a heavy load in the rack? Any idea how much one can safely carry in a shell-mounted roof rack?
-Adam
asteffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2005, 11:32 PM   #2
AK98Taco
Retired

The canopy dealer I got my setup from advised against carrying heavy loads on the rail system, as the load is not distributed as well as it would be on the wide setup.

I would recommend the wide load setup, as it not only helps the canopy fair better against loads, but it also keeps the center of gravity lower.
AK98Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
Nullifier

Well I would say that the quality of topper construction i.e. the laminate is what is most important. I have had good luck installing racks for toppers to carry cargo baskets, canoes etc. My advise is to have the dealer install a track that is compatible with either the thule Tracker system or Yakima Control tower. The Thule rack I feel is a bit stronger the the yakima on this rack system. If you are planing a basket you should run a minimum of 3 crossbars. 4 if you are carrying heavy loads and or a long basket. For canoes kayaks things like that 2 bars are fine.

I would recomend forgoing the tracks though. They tend to be the weakest link of a roof rack. I would get the Thule Tracker and the mounting bracket that allows you to bolt it right through the topper. This is alot stronger then mounting to a thin aluminum track. Either way you have to drill to mount the rack so I would go the later. The Thule rack will be a quick release set up for easy removal incase you need to take it off. It also has locks so it can't be stolen.

If you need help getting these parts let me know I am a dealer.

www.canoeescape.com
Nullifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
ZR2Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteffes
Any idea how much one can safely carry in a shell-mounted roof rack? -Adam
I was told by a salesman at Sport Rack, and the Snug Top dealer it's 250 lbs. I don't make it a habit to beleive saleman, since they both snapped out the same answer, I use that number. I've put 200 lbs on my roof, but not off-highway.

I think you need to add any g-force loads to the weight in the rack. So for off-road I wouldn't add much over 100 (or so) lbs. Besides the top-heavy thing makes me keep loads light.

Most loads I carry in my rack is two 2.5 gal fuel cans, and a fire pan. Maybe 40 lbs of stuff while I travel. I do find it a geat place to put suff around camp and a good tie-off for tarps.

I have the Cab-Hi shell, Yakima rails and cross bars for 4 years. I've not seen any cracks yet or any leaks.
ZR2Steve is offline   Reply With Quote