Dome Light - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Cheap Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Bisquit105

Lightbulb Dome Light

The factory dome light in my truck has always been so dim, even at night. So I went to autozone to find a different one and ended up coming out with a cheap one that cost ~5 bucks. Initially I had planned on just replacing the factory one, but after removing it I didnt wanna deal with brackets and stuff. I decided that I would mount it elsewhere and have twice the lighting, good idea eh? I didn't really take pictures of during the install, wasn't much to document anyway.

The light:

Removed the cover on the factory light and unscrewed it from its place, then popped off the cap things holding head board to body. Ran wires from front to back, easiest way to do IMO. Connected wires to new light, wrapped in tape, and tucked back up in the headboard. Rather than screwing straight into the carpet material I took a think sheet of aluminum we had and folded it in half and screwed into that. It aint going nowhere. Retucked the headboard and popped pins back in. Then I connected the wires to the positive and negative ports on the factory light just before where the bulb contacts so the rear will turn on when the front one turns on. Sauldered that hoe and it was all good from there. Put everything back and it worked like a charm. Huge difference in lighting, can see everything great now, especially behind the seats where the dome light would reach before. Cheap and quick.

Warn Grille Guard
4 Hella 500 Lights
Trail-Gear Sliders
Midland CB w/ 4 foot Firestik antenna
Oh, and I'm 16.
Bisquit105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Dubs Chops

nice and bright, is it secure?
Dubs Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Jones

I got led replacement bulbs for like $7 online and made my dome and map lights way better.

98 Tacoma, 2.7L auto, front bilsteins, allpro uca's, rear air springs
Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
sk8rjess
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to sk8rjess

so instead of having an out of place bulky add-on light you could have just bought an LED replacement bulb for the dome light and still gotten more light output then your now current setup.
sk8rjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
ThunderOne
Veteran Member

I've been hesitant to get an LED replacement since it spazzes out during dimming. That still an issue or have newer bulbs fixed this problem?

God bless America! (..Please...!!)
ROLL TIDE! 2009, 2011 & 2012 BCS CHAMPIONS!
ThunderOne is offline   Reply With Quote