location of the ect or coolant temp sensor - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Early Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
browntown3

Default location of the ect or coolant temp sensor

Looking for location on3.4 v6 ive searched online for two days and have given up. Please let me know if you know where its located.thanks guys!

"Dearly Missed"
1997 Tacoma LX
2001 Sequoia SR5
browntown3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
AZ98TRD
Veteran Member

It's on the flux capacitor...

In all seriousness, have you been able to find it on google? I ditched the 3.4l so long ago i can't remember where it is.

2006 4Runner SR5 4WD. 4.0L V6 1GR-FE. 5 Spd Auto A750F. Bilstein 5100 w/ OME 884 (FRT). Bilstein 5100 w/ OME 895E (REAR). 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. BOVADS roof rack. Unitrol Siren w/ Code 3 100w speaker.
AZ98TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Scuba
Veteran Member

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/index.html
Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
ShowStop
Member Dismemberer

My Rig: 95.5 Tacoma
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop

Specifically this page:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa.../ects/comp.pdf

Its located next to the upper radiator hose where it goes into the engine.
ShowStop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
browntown3

Awesome! Thanks guys, Yea i searched and searched and never found a good diagram or picture and everybody said it was located on different sides of the engine and places, i was confused as hell! Thanks again!

"Dearly Missed"
1997 Tacoma LX
2001 Sequoia SR5
browntown3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
ShowStop
Member Dismemberer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown3 View Post
Awesome! Thanks guys, Yea i searched and searched and never found a good diagram or picture and everybody said it was located on different sides of the engine and places, i was confused as hell! Thanks again!
On the 2.7L, the ECT is on the back of the head.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
4wd_mofo
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2001 badass red
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo

is this the sensor for the ECM or the one for the readout on the dash?
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
ShowStop
Member Dismemberer

The sensor on the rear of the engine is for the ECM. There is another sensor on the coolant outlet port from the engine that serves the dash gauge.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
4wd_mofo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStop View Post
The sensor on the rear of the engine is for the ECM. There is another sensor on the coolant outlet port from the engine that serves the dash gauge.
the online FSM is a nightmare, is downloading the 39meg one worth it? i see the 3.4 location of the front one, but not the rear one. is it too also called an ECT, or does it have another name?
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Old 09-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
ShowStop
Member Dismemberer

My previous post refers to a 2.7L. I haven't seen it myself on a 3.4L, but the FSM shows a sensor on the coolant output tube up front and a second ECT sender in the driver side rear of the intake.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
4wd_mofo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStop View Post
My previous post refers to a 2.7L. I haven't seen it myself on a 3.4L, but the FSM shows a sensor on the coolant output tube up front and a second ECT sender in the driver side rear of the intake.
i'll poke around later and see if i can snap a pic of these. hoping its a simple fix for my CEL
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
TacoTraveler

My Rig: 2002 Tacoma

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is located on the front of the intake manifold, passenger side of the upper radiator hose, and just behind the cover that hides your timing. It is a 19mm socket and to get it out you should drain about a gallon of coolant using the petcock on the passenger side of the radiator, disconnect the upper radiator hose and remove the upper timing cover. This is a 2 wire sensor.

The water temperature sensor is just for the gauge and it is located on the back of the intake under all that crap. If your gauge is working then this sensor works and there is no need to get down to it. If you do have to get down to it you either have to be really squirrely or you need to take the upper and lower plenum off to succcessfully get a socket on it. This is a 1 wire "sensor". All this does is provide a ground for your temperature gauge on the dash.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
4wd_mofo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTraveler View Post
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is located on the front of the intake manifold, passenger side of the upper radiator hose, and just behind the cover that hides your timing. It is a 19mm socket and to get it out you should drain about a gallon of coolant using the petcock on the passenger side of the radiator, disconnect the upper radiator hose and remove the upper timing cover. This is a 2 wire sensor.

The water temperature sensor is just for the gauge and it is located on the back of the intake under all that crap. If your gauge is working then this sensor works and there is no need to get down to it. If you do have to get down to it you either have to be really squirrely or you need to take the upper and lower plenum off to succcessfully get a socket on it. This is a 1 wire "sensor". All this does is provide a ground for your temperature gauge on the dash.
Show stop, thank you as always, and a big thanks to Taco Traveler. I didn't know i need to remove my Timing cover to get to the ECT, and drain the coolant. The truck is due for a T-belt and maybe a WP at the same time as im around 150K miles... maybe i'll replace the sensor when all the belts are off and whatnot. I really just want to fix the CEL so i know my truck is running correctly .

one more question, how hard is it to remove the T-belt cover? i tried it once on my 97, but remember i removed all the bolts i could see and she still wouldn't come off... thanks again!

P.S. you said petcock
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Old 09-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
TacoTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd_mofo View Post
Show stop, thank you as always, and a big thanks to Taco Traveler. I didn't know i need to remove my Timing cover to get to the ECT, and drain the coolant. The truck is due for a T-belt and maybe a WP at the same time as im around 150K miles... maybe i'll replace the sensor when all the belts are off and whatnot. I really just want to fix the CEL so i know my truck is running correctly .

one more question, how hard is it to remove the T-belt cover? i tried it once on my 97, but remember i removed all the bolts i could see and she still wouldn't come off... thanks again!

P.S. you said petcock
The upper timing belt cover is VERY easy. First slip the clips holding your coil pack wires to the top of the cover off, then disconnect the upper radiator hose and finally remove the 6 10mm bolts. 4 of these bolts are clearly visible and 1 is down by the power steering pump and 1 is behind the dip stick. Once those are removed pull out the dip stick and pull straight out and up.

It's only a petcock if you treat it like a pet and stroke it while you're laying in bed trying to go to sleep at night.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
4wd_mofo
Veteran Member

Quote:
The upper timing belt cover is VERY easy. First slip the clips holding your coil pack wires to the top of the cover off, then disconnect the upper radiator hose and finally remove the 6 10mm bolts. 4 of these bolts are clearly visible and 1 is down by the power steering pump and 1 is behind the dip stick. Once those are removed pull out the dip stick and pull straight out and up.

It's only a petcock if you treat it like a pet and stroke it while you're laying in bed trying to go to sleep at night.

cool, yea i'm gonna check my coolant this weekend and see if its dirty. i just topped it off in feb when i bought the truck and gave it a once over. Just worried i'm jumping the gun because i will have to drain/refill soon when i do the t-belt and WP.

Hey on amazon/ebay these sensors seem to run $20-35 shipped, the picture shows a 2 prong set up, sound about right?
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Old 09-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #16
TacoTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd_mofo View Post

cool, yea i'm gonna check my coolant this weekend and see if its dirty. i just topped it off in feb when i bought the truck and gave it a once over. Just worried i'm jumping the gun because i will have to drain/refill soon when i do the t-belt and WP.

Hey on amazon/ebay these sensors seem to run $20-35 shipped, the picture shows a 2 prong set up, sound about right?
$20 shipped isn't too bad but $35 seems high. I'm usually picky about using OE parts but the ECT was one I wasn't too worried about. I bought mine for $15 at O'Reilly's. Advance Auto wanted $22ish.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
4wd_mofo
Veteran Member

Quote:
$20 shipped isn't too bad but $35 seems high. I'm usually picky about using OE parts but the ECT was one I wasn't too worried about. I bought mine for $15 at O'Reilly's. Advance Auto wanted $22ish.
I would trust one from O'Reilly's, prices are good and i refuse to shop at autozone anymore.
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote: