EGR P0401 Code in a 98 Taco 2.7 Ltr - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Early Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
TACO300

Default EGR P0401 Code in a 98 Taco 2.7 Ltr

I have a 1998 4wd Taco Ex cab,with a 2.7 motor that has 420K miles on it. The CEL came on and the code was P0401 "insufficient EG flow to EGR system". I tried cleaning the EGR, roto-rooting the tube the connects the EGR to the exhaust manifold and cleaning the EGR solenoid. When none of that worked I even replaced the EGR for $130 bucks and I still get the CEL.

The truck is running fine. I don't want to disconnect the system as some have suggested in other threads. Any ideas?

Is it possible that the temp sensor is shot? Those things run about $120 so I'd really like to know if its the likely culprit based on my description of the problem.

Side bar: When I removed the new EGR during my roto-rooting effort I did notice that the inside of the new valve was getting some fouling for the week that I ran it. It wasn't as bad as the original but it certainly had a coating of fouling indicating exhaust gas flow.

thanks
TACO300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Tomomothy

I'm not familiar with the 2.7L, but is it possible flow out from the EGR valve is obstructed? You mentioned cleaning the line from the EM to the EGR, but if the path from the EGR is blocked it could prevent flow and maybe trigger that CEL? It might have a different code instead, but thought I'd try to get the ball rolling a little
Tomomothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Scuba
Veteran Member

There is a little disc looking filter with 3 vacuum tubes running off of it.
Pop it open. If the filter is dirty then it's bad.
Replace it.
You'll have to replace the disc looking housing/ filter. Can't get the filter separately.

I had the same exact thing happen.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Whitetoy

My Rig: 1999 Tacoma

Had the exact same problem with my 2.7 just after I bought it. Cleaned the valve, replaced the modulator (with used) but did not clear the P0401. Finally, I removed the temp sensor, cleaned the tip real good, and re-installed it. This cleared the P0401. Seven months later, the code returned, and I cleaned it again.
Whitetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
TACO300

Temp sensor is what I'm thinking since the truck is running fine. I've already cleaned the EGR solenoid filter and inside the base with carb cleaner. I think I'll try cleaning the sensor first before I buy a new one.

Hopefully this will work.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
TACO300

UPDATE: I cleaned the temperature sensor and no change. I ended up ordering a new OEM EGR vacuum solenoid since it was the cheaper than the EGR temperature sensor and that did the trick. No more CEL.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
Whitetoy

My Rig: 1999 Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO300 View Post
UPDATE: I cleaned the temperature sensor and no change. I ended up ordering a new OEM EGR vacuum solenoid since it was the cheaper than the EGR temperature sensor and that did the trick. No more CEL.
What was the part number on that solenoid?
Whitetoy is offline   Reply With Quote