Clutch Pressure plate worn? - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Performance/Engine/Exhaust
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
TacoDell
truck ~n~ tow

My Rig: '00 Tacoma
Default Clutch Pressure plate worn?

After looking through 500 post here pertaining to clutches... I'm too tweaked to start with google... So here's my question... After 130k on my original clutch I'm noticing some odd behavior... Not like the normal things/inqueries that are listed in the massive amount of posts I read... After I installed my LockRight I started having drive line bind... (at least that's what I think it is)... But it seems to be related to the clutch not disengaging completely. Engagement seems fine the disc is not slipping. The pedal feels fine and I adjusted the push rod to engage further out instead of having to mash her all the way to the floor... still hasn't solved my issue... here's a clue for those who have the know... When I jack up the rear axle off the ground and start the truck the rear tires both start turning in the forward direction slowly. This is with the gear box selector in the neutral position. If I depress the clutch it stops turning... if I let it out... again the wheels start to turn. Is it the possibility that the Pressure Plate is tired and is not disengaging completely or is it something in the hydraulics? I'm probably due for a new clutch anyhow... But want to be sure before I do the break down that I'm not missing something...? I'm not losing brake fluid and the clutch seems to engage normally when the rear tires are on the ground. It does not surge forward in this case... But I have notice binding and clunking noises (not the LockRight) seeming to emit from the drive line (possibly aggravated by the LR)... I know of many other possibilities of drive line noise and have ruled out most of them... This is more like the driveshaft is under load and when you disengage the clutch the bind goes away... There has got to be a relation between this said bind and the clutch not completely disengaging when in neutral and the rear wheels off the ground... Any one have an experience similar to this? Sorry so long... Just trying not to miss anything in my description...
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build
TacoDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
AK98Taco
Retired

Are you having any problems with the engine lugging?

The pedal should be adjusted to specification. Changing it either way is not really necessary nor very helpful as it can mask a failing clutch. Pedal height and freeplay should both be to spec. If pedal effort is the issue, the problem is not the pedal adjustment.

The driveline will bind and the suspension will load up when getting on and off the gas with the clutch engaged. That's the axle's response to the torque.

You can pull the rear main plate off and peek into the bell housing and look for clutch debris. It may very well be time for a new clutch.

I love to buy my parts from TRDParts4U.com
AK98Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:33 AM   #3
TacoDell
truck ~n~ tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK98Taco
Are you having any problems with the engine lugging?

The pedal should be adjusted to specification. Changing it either way is not really necessary nor very helpful as it can mask a failing clutch. Pedal height and freeplay should both be to spec. If pedal effort is the issue, the problem is not the pedal adjustment.

The driveline will bind and the suspension will load up when getting on and off the gas with the clutch engaged. That's the axle's response to the torque.

You can pull the rear main plate off and peek into the bell housing and look for clutch debris. It may very well be time for a new clutch.
Engine lugging? No that would be a slipping disc I'm thinking. Not an issue here...

The pedal adjustment is not the issue either... I am aware of it's specs and adjustments... And it's not the pedal effort either... What I'm saying is that the clutch is engaging slightly when the gearbox is set in neutral and the clutch pedal is engaged (pedal out)... It's putting a load on the drive line... not enough to roll the truck forward on the ground... But the tires will turn forward when the rear is lifted off the ground... It can't be a slave cylinder going bad because if I push in the clutch it does disengage (pedal in) completely and the tires stop turning... I just don't remember in the past that if the rear end of the truck was in the air that the tires turned when in neutral... Maybe if someone could lift their rear (with the Manual trans) and tell me if there wheels roll forward while in neutral/clutch pedal out (engaged) that might help... It does this on my motorcycle as well when the clutch is cold after it heats up it stops. But my truck is doing it even after it is warmed up... I guess if I can't find a solution I'll just pull the gearbox and install a new clutch... thanks for your time...

Truck...
Trailer...

Last edited by cbrRRman; 12-11-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:39 AM   #4
AK98Taco
Retired

I've had my truck on a lift at the shop I worked at numerous times. Parking brake off, trans in neutral, tires spin either direction. Even the wheels on cars with auto trannies will spin with the tranny in park.

What you are describing sounds like the clutch not disengaging, just as you suspected. Drop the tranny and replace the clutch.

I love to buy my parts from TRDParts4U.com
AK98Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:42 AM   #5
TacoDell
truck ~n~ tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK98Taco
I've had my truck on a lift at the shop I worked at numerous times. Parking brake off, trans in neutral, tires spin either direction. Even the wheels on cars with auto trannies will spin with the tranny in park.

What you are describing sounds like the clutch not disengaging, just as you suspected. Drop the tranny and replace the clutch.
That's my thought... thanks...

Truck...
Trailer...

Old 12-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #6
Kalvin00

That's weird..I noticed the same thing yesterday after installing my Lock-Right locker in the rear of my truck.. (96 Tacoma, V6, 5spd, 128K miles on original clutch). In the air, the tires would move forward while in neutral with the clutch out..
Kalvin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #7
ByrdDog20

My Rig: 2002 PreRunner

My 2 cents.

If the clutch is engaging properly and is engaged when you run the engine in neutral, I suspect the problem is not your clutch.

About 15 years ago I had 140,000 on my 1984 Toyo Base truck. It started grinding when I had the clutch pushed in and selected reverse, the only gear not synchronized. Turned out the pressure plate was worn and would not completely disengage. New clutch fixed the problem.

Sounds more like a gearbox problem.

Sorry,

Scott
ByrdDog20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:24 PM   #8
Deserttaco
www.deserttaco.com

The problem you are describing has happened on every one of my manual tranny vehicles. With the clutch out and the tranny in neutral the wheels spin ever so slowly. but you can grab the tire and stop it from turning. The reason that it happens is with the clutch out, your input shaft to the tranny is still spinning, and many of the transmission gears are very close together (side by side) and with movement of the input shaft, you can have movement of the output shaft without any mechanical connection. In short this is not a problem as long as it's very slow rotation and you can physically stop it with your hands. If you can stop it, there is no physical connection.

Other than that i can offer no advise to the problem you are having.
Deserttaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:28 PM   #9
TacoDell
truck ~n~ tow

That's exactly the information I was looking for... Thank you for your time...

Truck...
Trailer...

Old 12-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #10
TacoDell
truck ~n~ tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvin00
That's weird..I noticed the same thing yesterday after installing my Lock-Right locker in the rear of my truck.. (96 Tacoma, V6, 5spd, 128K miles on original clutch). In the air, the tires would move forward while in neutral with the clutch out..
Yeah... I had a feeling the LockRight is playing a role here... Thanks for that confirmation...

Truck...
Trailer...

Old 12-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #11
TacoDell
truck ~n~ tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByrdDog20
My 2 cents.

If the clutch is engaging properly and is engaged when you run the engine in neutral, I suspect the problem is not your clutch.

About 15 years ago I had 140,000 on my 1984 Toyo Base truck. It started grinding when I had the clutch pushed in and selected reverse, the only gear not synchronized. Turned out the pressure plate was worn and would not completely disengage. New clutch fixed the problem.

Sounds more like a gearbox problem.

Sorry,

Scott
Nope not the gearbox... shifts fine... with the exception of the load the LockRight seems to put the drive shaft under... Thanks for responding though...

Truck...
Trailer...