New clutch woes - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > New Members Area > Newbie Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:35 AM   #1
Fiddy223

Default New clutch woes

a month ago my clutch started a chirping sound when it wasn't engaged.
Took my truck to the local dealership and they told me I needed a new clutch kit. No one on the island had a clutch kit in stock so I had to wait till Saturday for one to come in at NAPA so I bought the kit and had a local shop install it. I picked up my truck today and now it chirps even louder. I took the truck back and the guy at the shop told me it could be a transmisson issue. Can anyone tell me if the guy knows what he's talking about or did I get ripped off. Because I live on an island I don't have lots of choices for auto repair. The worst part is I put my truck on a ship Tuesday headed for the US. I'm really pissed and I'm venting but also would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #2
John Luttrell
Veteran Member

I have spent lots of time sitting on Guam.....................your best bet is to put the truck on the boat and have it fixed in the States. I feel you got ripped off, but you don't have the time to fight it and even come close to winning.

1991 Jeep YJ, 4 inch suspension lift on 33" BFG's
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...l/DSCN0534.jpg
John Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
Intrepid
NE > PA

Send a message via AIM to Intrepid

Did the kit have a new throw out bearing? Was it installed correctly? I know those can make some noise. Sounds like you got screwed. But it also sounds like you have no recourse since your truck is already heading back...
Old 12-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
Eztrog88
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Eztrog88

"clutch engaged" means the you are NOT pressing the pedal.
"clutch disengaged" means you ARE pressing the pedal.

Now... it sounds like its probably your throwout bearing. If the kit came with a new one and it's still chirping, then it was probable installed wrong. If the kit didn't come with a new one, you probably just wasted whatever $$ you spent on the kit.

How many miles on the clutch?

1998 Tacoma
Regular Cab 4x4
2.7L - 5-spd

TJM Front Bumper
Fabtech Coilovers with Fox Racing Shox
1.5" Shackle and Deaver 3-Leaf AAL
ATArmor Sliders
31x10.50 BFG ATs

(Anyone want to trade for my 3.58's ? )
Eztrog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
Fiddy223

Thanks for the correction of Engage/Disengage. The new clutch has about 5 miles on it and the clutch kit did come with a throwout bearing. I have to go to customs this morning and will stop at the shop that installed it. The shop is part of the military base so I may be able to get the manager to look at it. Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:43 PM   #6
blown4runner
Veteran Member

Did they actually install the bearing... Just because it came with the kit doesn't neccessarily mean they changed it. I was doing a clutch on an old Runner the other day and the throw out bearing was a fawking biatch to get out, although we did, depending on the shop they may not have. Also make sure all componenets are lubrciated, thats a big issue with clutch nosies....
Old 12-14-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
ShowStop
Member Dismemberer

My Rig: 95.5 Tacoma
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop

Are you moving to Las Vegas or Lancaster like you said in your last post about the clutch? If its Lancaster, then my offer still stands for you to come by my house and we'll figure out your issue.
ShowStop is offline   Reply With Quote