winch hook, removable/permanent. - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > New Members Area > Lets Talk About Wheelin!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
mikerox
the roadrunner

Send a message via Yahoo to mikerox
Default winch hook, removable/permanent.

so, i am gona be buying some synth line with a really nice hook, retail 50 bucks for the hook alone. the line come with the hook already attatched but i contacted them about ordering it as two seperate pieces so i can take it off when driving around town.

what is your guys thoughts on this. i know some people like em permanently atached, but i would not like someone cutiong my hook off at a local mallwheeling session when i step inside for a bit. also it is a nice hook and has more uses if it is removable.

hit me with your comments, especcialy if you have facts about pros ond cons of the two. i plan on buying in a few days.

thanks.
mike.
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
grumpy

why not just get one of those shackle thingy's that mounts the hook to the line? I think then you could remove it.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
mikerox
the roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
why not just get one of those shackle thingy's that mounts the hook to the line? I think then you could remove it.
that is what i am talking about. the line i am looking at is 130 bucks for 100 feet of 5/16 amsteel with the hook alread atached to the thimble. i contacted them about having it shippied unatatched so i could do it like you say but i am asking about the oppinions of those here about just leaving it as is.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
GOT COPE?
Big tars, little bed.

My Rig: 2000 Taco
Send a message via AIM to GOT COPE?

I thinks its all a metter of what you prefer. What fits you and your rig. Hook, shackle, they all perform the same function in this case. But one may fit your rig better than another. Personally I like just the shackle, but I kinda like that big aluminum thimble thing on that eBay link you posted. And I reckon the hook will make for quicker/easier hookups and disconnects. Whereas obviously with the shackle involves dealing with the bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotaoffroad27 View Post
I think Colin just rides around looking for a good photo op.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlrunner View Post
Blatent abuse of power ... but funny ... carry on ...
BRC since 2006www.sharetrails.org
TLCA #15854 www.tlca.org
SFWDA since 2005 www.sfwda.org
GOT COPE? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerox
that is what i am talking about. the line i am looking at is 130 bucks for 100 feet of 5/16 amsteel with the hook alread atached to the thimble. i contacted them about having it shippied unatatched so i could do it like you say but i am asking about the oppinions of those here about just leaving it as is.
oncethe line is pulled back tight, I don't think too many ppl would even knwo how to get slack in the line to steal the hook, if thats the concern.
When I get mine, I plan on leavingthe hook attached t othe line end loop. If nothing else it makes it easier for the attachment point to respool the line.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
adamusmcguy

Quote:
so, i am gona be buying some synth line with a really nice hook, retail 50 bucks for the hook alone. the line come with the hook already attatched but i contacted them about ordering it as two seperate pieces so i can take it off when driving around town.

what is your guys thoughts on this. i know some people like em permanently atached, but i would not like someone cutiong my hook off at a local mallwheeling session when i step inside for a bit. also it is a nice hook and has more uses if it is removable.

hit me with your comments, especcialy if you have facts about pros ond cons of the two. i plan on buying in a few days.

thanks.
mike.
Mike,
I've been thinking about going with the synthetic line also...If you dont mind me asking where are you getting yours for that price($130)?

Thanks
adamusmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:15 AM   #7
mikerox
the roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamusmcguy
Mike,
I've been thinking about going with the synthetic line also...If you dont mind me asking where are you getting yours for that price($130)?

Thanks
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...670#post287670
i got on email from the company sayiong they have an auction going for the 100 feet of 5/16 without the hook for 100 bucks.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:22 AM   #8
Lysmachia
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia

I just got my synthetic line with hook installed. (I had 3 nasty kinks in my wire from the past 3 moths of usig the winch in the dark)

ANy how I doubt anyone will cut mine, It is tensioned between 2 d rings. (I'll get a pic and post) But either way let me know what you do...

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
Lysmachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:26 AM   #9
mikerox
the roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
I just got my synthetic line with hook installed. (I had 3 nasty kinks in my wire from the past 3 moths of usig the winch in the dark)

ANy how I doubt anyone will cut mine, It is tensioned between 2 d rings. (I'll get a pic and post) But either way let me know what you do...
if that is your rig in the avitar then i can see it. thanks, and i will let you know.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:03 AM   #10
hammerdown
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to hammerdown

Quote:

thanks.
mike.
i have a removable hook on my synth line. when the line is tensioned with the hook attatched to a shackle, the drum should be locked and unable to free-spool. i have a milemarker and i cannot even turn the clutch key when tensioned. i also have a battery disconnect under the hood so even if someone has a controller, they cannot operate my winch.
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
Don't think too hard, just follow the damned instructions.
ca4wd#9730
hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:41 AM   #11
grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamusmcguy
Mike,

Thanks

check ith Brain at front randge he quoted me ~135 and I thing that incl the hook
Old 01-21-2006, 05:41 AM   #12
mikerox
the roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown
i have a removable hook on my synth line. when the line is tensioned with the hook attatched to a shackle, the drum should be locked and unable to free-spool. i have a milemarker and i cannot even turn the clutch key when tensioned. i also have a battery disconnect under the hood so even if someone has a controller, they cannot operate my winch.
that looks a lot like the bumper on one of the tlt trucks. where did you get it?
Old 01-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #13
Texan1983
Veteran Member

i think thats a bent up bumper... i would like some more pics if you got them, as i am looking into getting one similar to that.
Texan1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:02 PM   #14
Paul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1983
i think thats a bent up bumper... i would like some more pics if you got them, as i am looking into getting one similar to that.
Matt's bumper is a modified Demello 4Runner bumper. He has lights in those holes now, they are sick.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote