05 Tacoma Diff Breather Extension Mod Question - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Late Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
TACODOC
Rendezvous Conspiracy

Question 05 Tacoma Diff Breather Extension Mod Question

I searched and found nada so here's the question: Has anyone done the diff breather extension mod on an 05 yet and what parts did you use? Pics/ Thanks.
...Doc
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
fast frank
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2001 Tacoma 4X4 Dcab

Good question.

I have not goten into any deep water yet, but the flood season is coming. Here in Houston a person could easily find themselves sitting in a traffic jam in two feet of water.

Doing the vent mod first would seem like a good idea, wouldn't it?

I'm thinking that it's not very different than the older trucks, and most of that should apply.

Thanks for bringing that up, and I hope somebody has pioneered that for us so we don't have to experiment.

Fast Frank

Bone Stock and Loving Every Minute Of It.
fast frank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
TACODOC
Rendezvous Conspiracy

Should be no different than older Tacomas, I'm just hoping someone has done it and has the part #'s so I can just GIT R DONE
Old 02-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
Paul
Banned

Chances are that its the same part number. It was the same for trucks from 79-04
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
2Tense
A.K.A. Chaz

This is over at CT Breather Extension , I'll order the part tomorrow to see if it works... I need to start the whole waterproofing project on the '06 anyway.
2Tense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Good Times

Parts required: 90404-51319 Union 90930-03136 Plug, breather

Good luck
Good Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
TACODOC
Rendezvous Conspiracy

Question Which Part Number is Right for the 05 Tacoma?

Ummm... The CT article says it's "1 "Union" (Toyota part number 90404-51026)", and goodtimes has it listed as "Parts required: 90404-51319 Union 90930-03136 Plug, breather"...

The union is really the key here to this whole mod, but which one is the correct one for the 05-06 Tacoma? Is it the same part# for the front diff as well?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
SilverStreak05

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.ph...ther+extension
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.ph...ther+extension
http://parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/a.../axlevents.htm
http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/...r/breather.htm
http://4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/breather/
SilverStreak05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
TACODOC
Rendezvous Conspiracy

Thanks for the links man.
The only problem is that all these threads relate to 04 and older Tacomas...
It may be the same BUT I'm just trying to narrow it down specifically to what fits the diff breather on an 05-06. Front and rear.

Just hoping someone on here has actually done this on an 05...

Last edited by 05TACODOC; 02-07-2006 at 03:13 PM.
TACODOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
white_eskimo
Veteran Member

call up ToD and ask... they might know... i want to do this mod too, so let me know if you figure it out...

Mods-
Pine scent air freshener
Stickers for +5 hp
white_eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
Good Times

The part numbers I gave is what I used for my 03 4runner. The rear is the same for your 05 taco.

Good luck
Good Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #12
SilverStreak05

Yes, the rear diff is no different than the previous years, so everything works the same. The front may be different, but it's already run up into the engine bay.
SilverStreak05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #13
white_eskimo
Veteran Member

i ordered the parts today i will let you know what becomes of the small project...

Mods-
Pine scent air freshener
Stickers for +5 hp
Old 02-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #14
white_eskimo
Veteran Member

ok so here is the deal:

i extended the rear differential breather on my 05 tacoma this morning before i went wheeling with UncleChris. I ordered two parts (the 90404-51319 Union and the 90930-03136 breather plug, just like Good Times said) from Toyota Of Dallas (www.trdparts4u.com) and got a great price from people who actual knew wtf they were talking about. You can reuse the stock diff breather if you really are on a budget, but i think the new breather plug will fit better. I used 5 feet of 3/8'' (inner diameter/I.D.) fuel line to extend the breather. I secured the fuel line to both the new breather and the union using small hose clamps (securing the fuel line to the stock breather, since it isn't as long). Anyways, 5' proved to be plenty of line to comfortably run the extended diff breather all the way to the fuel filler neck. This was a very simple mod, and I recommend that anyone who wheels in wet areas to do it.

Quote:
Ummm... The CT article says it's "1 "Union" (Toyota part number 90404-51026)", and goodtimes has it listed as "Parts required: 90404-51319 Union 90930-03136 Plug, breather"...

The union is really the key here to this whole mod, but which one is the correct one for the 05-06 Tacoma? Is it the same part# for the front diff as well?
Actually, both unions are suppose to fit. Rob (WATRD) claims on his site that an 05 driver used the 90404-51026 Union and it worked fine. I can only promise that the 90404-51319 Union will fit though as that was the one i used.

Pictures and information can be found at http://www.wattora.com/mods/diffbreather/ even though thats for the early models, the pictures still should be very helpful as it is basically the same thing. Good luck to everyone who tries this mod!

Mods-
Pine scent air freshener
Stickers for +5 hp
Old 02-22-2006, 07:36 AM   #15
gixxer

For anyone who is interested...I used the 90404-51026 Union last night and it worked fine...
00 Honda Rancher 4x4 - 26" Swamp Lites w/Lift kit
gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #16
RVM

My Rig: 2007 4Runner
Send a message via ICQ to RVM

What's better about the new breather plug (part# 90930-03136) vs. the stock breather plug? They both serve the same purpose, correct? What about some who have used a fuel filter in place of a new breather plug?

Did you replace the stock breather with the union or did you just attach the fuel line to the old breather and run it? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what you did. I'm inclined to follow the wattora or ct instructions but wanted to clarify what you've done first.

Got any pics of your work?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_eskimo
ok so here is the deal:

i extended the rear differential breather on my 05 tacoma this morning before i went wheeling with UncleChris. I ordered two parts (the 90404-51319 Union and the 90930-03136 breather plug, just like Good Times said) from Toyota Of Dallas (www.trdparts4u.com) and got a great price from people who actual knew wtf they were talking about. You can reuse the stock diff breather if you really are on a budget, but i think the new breather plug will fit better.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #17
white_eskimo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVM
What's better about the new breather plug (part# 90930-03136) vs. the stock breather plug? They both serve the same purpose, correct? What about some who have used a fuel filter in place of a new breather plug?

Did you replace the stock breather with the union or did you just attach the fuel line to the old breather and run it? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what you did. I'm inclined to follow the wattora or ct instructions but wanted to clarify what you've done first.

Got any pics of your work?

Thanks!
the stock plug is threaded (so that it can be screwed in and out of the rear differential). The new plug (part# 90930-03136) is not threaded and is longer than the stock one. This means that once you push in the new part, it is a little bit less trivial to use a hose clamp securely because you just have more to clamp onto. I hope i am making sense and am not confusing you any more. You CAN use the stock breather, since both parts do the exact same thing (allow the differential to breath). The only difference is that the new part is longer thus making it easier to secure a hose clamp to it.

Quote:
Did you replace the stock breather with the union or did you just attach the fuel line to the old breather and run it?
i think i confused you slightly. The installation is really simple. Replace the stock breather which is threaded into the rear differential with the new threaded Union. Then attach a line (i choose to use a fuel line) and run it somewheres high up where and away from dirt (i choose my fuel filler neck). Zip tie the line to the filler neck and in a couple of other places to secure it, but make sure to leave enough line so that it doesnt get tight when your rear flexs. Thats it! I took some pictures but they are kinda shitty. check out http://www.starhillranch.org/ttora/hollister2-18-06/ The first 3 pictures shows you a little bit about what i did. However, screw my pictures, just read about the install at http://www.wattora.com/mods/diffbreather/ You will be doing exactly the same thing

pm me if you want more info... i can always go out and take more pictures and write up my own little tutorial, but the website above should be extremely helpful

Mods-
Pine scent air freshener
Stickers for +5 hp
Old 02-23-2006, 02:44 AM   #18
TacomaHarry
Veteran Member

I have a Question ? Since we are talking about breathers. I've extended my rear axle breather up behind my left tail light. Then there are 2 breathers extended into the engine compartment. I assume 1 is for the front diff, and 2nd one is for ?? Tranmission or Transfer case ?? Then is there a vent for the other ??

http://www.ttora.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=621
TacomaHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:43 AM   #19
RVM

My Rig: 2007 4Runner
Send a message via ICQ to RVM

Thank you so much for helping me. You clarified everything perfectly.

The reason I had asked those questions is because I read the CT and WATTORA sites and I perceived that what you said differed a bit. I see that is not the case.

Thank you again!

Quote:
the stock plug is threaded (so that it can be screwed in and out of the rear differential). The new plug (part# 90930-03136) is not threaded and is longer than the stock one. This means that once you push in the new part, it is a little bit less trivial to use a hose clamp securely because you just have more to clamp onto. I hope i am making sense and am not confusing you any more. You CAN use the stock breather, since both parts do the exact same thing (allow the differential to breath). The only difference is that the new part is longer thus making it easier to secure a hose clamp to it.

i think i confused you slightly. The installation is really simple. Replace the stock breather which is threaded into the rear differential with the new threaded Union. Then attach a line (i choose to use a fuel line) and run it somewheres high up where and away from dirt (i choose my fuel filler neck). Zip tie the line to the filler neck and in a couple of other places to secure it, but make sure to leave enough line so that it doesnt get tight when your rear flexs. Thats it! I took some pictures but they are kinda shitty. check out http://www.starhillranch.org/ttora/hollister2-18-06/ The first 3 pictures shows you a little bit about what i did. However, screw my pictures, just read about the install at http://www.wattora.com/mods/diffbreather/ You will be doing exactly the same thing

pm me if you want more info... i can always go out and take more pictures and write up my own little tutorial, but the website above should be extremely helpful
Old 02-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #20
white_eskimo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaHarry
I have a Question ? Since we are talking about breathers. I've extended my rear axle breather up behind my left tail light. Then there are 2 breathers extended into the engine compartment. I assume 1 is for the front diff, and 2nd one is for ?? Tranmission or Transfer case ?? Then is there a vent for the other ??
the second would be for the transmission.

Mods-
Pine scent air freshener
Stickers for +5 hp
Old 02-23-2006, 01:02 PM   #21
TACODOC
Rendezvous Conspiracy

OK, I finally got mine done. I used part#90404-51319, about 4 ft of 3/8 fuel line, 2 hose clamps, zip ties and the stock breather. Total cost was about $12
Old 02-24-2006, 02:39 AM   #22
TacomaHarry
Veteran Member

Quote:
the second would be for the transmission.

Thanks.

Then my next question is : what about the transfer case ?? Is there a vent ??

My 94' jeep had one on the t-case.

http://www.ttora.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=621
TacomaHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #23
GangusKhanh

Send a message via AIM to GangusKhanh

Sorry to bump an old thread, but dose anyone know the thread size and pitch for that part? Im going to try this with a hose barb since I cant get to a dealer.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #24
whitetaco02

does anybody know if this will work on an 88 4runner? will it be the same part #? I am very interested in doing this to my 4runner. thanks

also, do you all recommend putting a filter in line to keep debris and such out?
frank
whitetaco02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #25
Mikey05

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaHarry
Thanks.

Then my next question is : what about the transfer case ?? Is there a vent ??

My 94' jeep had one on the t-case.

I know on my double cab there are breathers for the front diff and transfer case under the hood on the driver side.
Current build on hold 85 4runner
Mikey05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #26
GangusKhanh

Send a message via AIM to GangusKhanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetaco02
does anybody know if this will work on an 88 4runner? will it be the same part #? I am very interested in doing this to my 4runner. thanks

also, do you all recommend putting a filter in line to keep debris and such out?
frank
With the new Barbed Breather nothing is going to get in there.

However, last time I did this mod, I used a T, with the barbed breather taking the straight path to the diff, while the extra 90* fitting on the T was used by a small breather type filter. (The 1.5" cone filters)
Old 07-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #27
whitetaco02

so will this part number work for me? #90404-51319
Old 07-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #28
TACODOC
Rendezvous Conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetaco02
so will this part number work for me? #90404-51319
I dont know what you have...
That is the part# I used on mine.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:36 AM   #29
whitetaco02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TACODOC
I dont know what you have...
That is the part# I used on mine.
sorry man, one of my earlier post was about my 88 4runner. that is the vehicle i was wondering about.

i also have an 05 double cab that i might try this on.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #30
TACODOC
Rendezvous Conspiracy

No worries