balancing wheels - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Tires/Wheels
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
tacoma0309

Send a message via AIM to tacoma0309
Default balancing wheels

I know the Tacomas stock wheels are lug centric and there are few places that have the adapter to balance them correctly, but how many of you have had your wheels balanced on a regular hub centric machine and can you tell the difference? I am looking to get somes new tires at Sams and I don't think they will have the adapter. Thanks

'04 Taco DC, TRD, 4WD
'08 Honda Odyssey EX (The Sleeper)
tacoma0309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
TacoDell
truck ~n~ tow

My Rig: '00 Tacoma

Discount Tire hub centric balanced my BFG AT's 265/75/16 when purchased... There was a vibration and shimmy between 55 and 60 mph following their work... I then took it to the Yota dealer as I knew they used the lug centric method... All the vibration and mild shimmy disappeared... So for me the answer would be... absolutely.. I'd think the larger tire you go to... the more important this becomes...
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build
TacoDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
The Dude
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to The Dude

you think thats what could be wrong with my black crawler wheels? or are the 1/4 in spacers doing it?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
TacoDell
truck ~n~ tow

My Rig: '00 Tacoma

Could be the spacer... But I'll almost bet it's the balance... 1/4 spacer ain't so bad... Steel wheels make it a little more difficult as well... Mine are alloys... But IMO... It would be a good place to start... Make sure they weight both inner and outer beads... If you wheel hard in the rocks... have them use stickys on the inboard of the rims outer lip... If you don't rockcrawl... use the standard clip ons... They may look ugly... But it's worth the lessened aggravation...
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build
TacoDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #5
NorCalTRD
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2004 Tacoma
Send a message via AIM to NorCalTRD

is there a differance, sure. but if the person who balanced your tires knows what they are doing you would have a hard time felling the difference between them. at the tire shop where i work, we have the ability to "pin-plate" a tire if needed. the pin plate acts as if there are lug nuts, which make the tire act more like it will when it is on the vehicle. i know my shop has this, i would imagine that most other tire shops would have the same thing.
NorCalTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:45 AM   #6
tacoma0309

What is the name of the adapter that you need? I'll ask them when I go there next.

'04 Taco DC, TRD, 4WD
Old 02-26-2006, 08:17 AM   #7
Full_Tilt_Fud
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1985 Pickup

I work for a tire store as well. We have the pinplates to center the wheel off the lugnuts but through experimentation with my own truck i have foend that the truck will drive better with less vibrations when the normal old center cone is used. The problem is that when you use the pins you are still suppose to place a center cone behind the wheel to help center it. With the large hubs on the tacoma you have to use a large cone and when you tighten it down the cone contacts the machine before the backside of the wheel so there is no support which is bad.

85 ex. cab 1 tons, coilovers, ect

09 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ a Cummins.....Tow rig
Full_Tilt_Fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:34 AM   #8
cdub

Full Tild Fud said it right on. I work for Discount and balance my 33's with the normal cone. As long as you get a good person balancing the wheels it really makes no difference. Just ask for one of the top technicians to balance the wheels for you and you should be fine.
cdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
tacoma0309

Thanks for all the info !!!

'04 Taco DC, TRD, 4WD
Old 02-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #10
NorCalTRD
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2004 Tacoma
Send a message via AIM to NorCalTRD

both Full_Tilt_Fud and cdub are correct, just hope that the guy that does the work knows what he is doing and there shouldn't be a problem.
Donahoe Extended Coilovers, Camburg Upper Control Arms, Donahoe Remote Rear Reservoir Shocks, Deaver 8 leaf pack, 15x8 Black Steelies, 33x12.50R15 BFG All Terrain T/A KOs, TRD Supercharger, URD Fuel Kit, Doug Thorley Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Line-X.

DD 2006 Lexus IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathBlazerTRD
SEARCH BUTTON is your best friend. nobody can answer these questions for you until you figure out what you want your truck to look like and be capable of. we aren't miss cleo....
NorCalTRD is offline   Reply With Quote