I FINALLY got it installed! - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Early Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 02-26-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
Captkirkyota
Veteran Member

Default I FINALLY got it installed!

After having it sitting in my garage since the first week of August 05 I finally got this installed.

I've got it clocked at 30 degrees, you do this by selecting which holes you want to use on the adapter plate for the crawler, you can achieve this MULTIPLE ways, I chose the simplest way, the crawler goes in at zero degrees or "straight" up and down, since clocking it did not provide any clearance at all.

So after choosing the holes and clocking setting you then plug up all the unused holes as per instructions on Inchworm's site.

I chose to then just go with the 30 degrees clocking position for the transfercase and it worked well with my 2 inch body lift. Without it one would have to pound a bit more than I did for certain, but it is doable.

Now, I really like the products I've gotten from Brian at Front Range Off Road, he is a stand up man of character and has solid business practices, and since my other transfer case crossmember was so STOUT, I called him and told him I need one that clocked, he said I don't have one as of now, let me call you in a couple days. 2 days later I got the auto cad drawings of what he designed and a week later he sent me this......

It comes in 3 pieces and requires some trimming of excess metal which you can only determine after you know how much clocking you are or are not gonna do and the exhaust location in relation to the whole finished install. The crossmember is very versatile.
Here it is installed......

A minor bit of grinding/clearancing for exhaust. ( pic is with temp autozone exhaust fixer pipe )

Here you can see directly in the top center the shifter for the crawler and down the left and back a bit you can make out the transfer case shifter in its clocked position 30 degrees away from where it used to be.

So,..... now that I have all that new clearance, about 3.75 more inches of it as I did lift my drive train up about 1" higher when I mounted my crossmember, I needed something to protect all the nice soft aluminum. To do this I employed Justin, the guy who built my bumper, and he came up with a great skid that is about .25" below the drive stuff so as not to rub and only hangs below the frame about 1.25-1.5 inches. As you can see here I am almost completely flat.

Here is the skid......

Nice flush counter sunk allen head screws for no snagging.
It has several gusset arms on the inside to stiffen it up after cutting the hole for drive shaft movement and access to the flange for removal. It is made of 3/16ths as 1/4 would have weighed way too much, it is very solid and stiff. Since I had some serious dents and a bulge and bend in my frame, we went ahead and plated the underside and most of the inside of the frame. I have also procured over the last couple months some new rims, that at this time are way too shiny and in need of some rock rash and dirt and corrosion to de-bling them. They are 17x10's. I also decided to try some 40" Irok radials, oh what a joy it is to not be riding on the street anymore on flat spot riddled SX's. There are much skinnier than I like but they are nice and if I don't have a ton of rubbing issues, I'll probably stick with this size.
Here is one copared to a 37" Irock radial to give you and idea of just how TALL they are and as stated, disappointingly skinnier than my 37x12.5 I used to run.

Notice how nothing hangs below the frame?! Oh what a GOOD DEAL!
Truck specs:2001 D-cab Taco with solid axle conversion, front and rear 65" wide Diamond axles, Tundra 8 inch rear w/ARB, H.P. front w/ARB 30 spline Long's, full floating rear from FROR and blah blah blah, IE lots-a cool stuff.

Later~captkirkyota~Kirk
Captkirkyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
AngryAndy

Send a message via AIM to AngryAndy Send a message via Yahoo to AngryAndy

Everything looks REALLY nice.....

I am jealous.....

1997 Xtracab SAS Tacoma
1989 SAS 4runner "Project Angry"
2007 FJ Cruiser
AngryAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
YoTRacer158
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to YoTRacer158 Send a message via Yahoo to YoTRacer158

all i see is red X's
2004 V6 5spd 4x4: TRD Charger, URD Fuel Mods/AFR/Unlimiter/2.1" Pulley/Crank Pulley/Short Throw, Supra MAF, TrueFlow Filter, JBA Ti Ceramic Headers, SpinTech Exhaust, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, BentUp Front Bumper, Chaos LT/Kings, 62" Deavers/18" Kings/, Glassworks Supercharger Hood/Fenders/Bedsides, 15x8 Black Steelies, 33x12.5 Claws, 4.56's, RR Solid Motor Mounts

youtube.com/YoTRacer158
YoTRacer158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Captkirkyota
Veteran Member

The thing that has been my thorn in the side issue with this has been the dog gone 2 cats Toyota put on 01 and up models, the second cat was dead center where the new crossmember would be when moving everything back with the crawler in. Had I had the bigger single cat that is farther up front it would have been great, I moved the cat and the sensor forward and got check engine lights every couple days. I moved just the sensor back to where it was and got the light again. I reset it again, bought premium and put it some super concentrated fuel injector cleaner on the next 2 tanks, and so far, 13 days, it has not come back on. Other than that it was a typical install with the " oh dang we did not think of that stuff " that came up and little things that were easy to deal with. I am not sure what my final crawl ratio is , since I don't know what the gear ratio in an auto tranny are, but I went with 2.28 stock gears in the crawl box, an when I put on the brake it flexes open my rear springs before it stops. lol
I think it would be better just a TINY bit lower, but they don't make 2.9-3.2 gear sets, as I think any lower would be too low.
Truck specs:2001 D-cab Taco with solid axle conversion, front and rear 65" wide Diamond axles, Tundra 8 inch rear w/ARB, H.P. front w/ARB 30 spline Long's, full floating rear from FROR and blah blah blah, IE lots-a cool stuff.

Later~captkirkyota~Kirk
Old 02-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
Captkirkyota
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Andy
Everything looks REALLY nice.....

I am jealous.....
Thanks Andy.

Later~captkirkyota~Kirk
Old 02-26-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
99FlowedTaco
Shrockworks 4x4 Products

Send a message via ICQ to 99FlowedTaco Send a message via AIM to 99FlowedTaco Send a message via MSN to 99FlowedTaco Send a message via Yahoo to 99FlowedTaco

Ya I love brians work , im loving my tcase crossmember ! looks great

2002 4Runner SR5 - DD

http://www.shrockworks.com
Got questions on a product we sell , please PM any questions.

99FlowedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #7
Toyo4x4
Wheeler Wannabe

Send a message via AIM to Toyo4x4

Very clean, and soooo nice! Lucky man.

2005 TRD AC 4x4-265/75
Stock...for now.
----------
Pennsylvania Toyota Territory Assoication
Toyo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
Brain
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Brain

Damn Kirk! Your truck is sick! 40" IROK Radials, I'm jealous for sure Why didn't you go for steel wheels instead of aluminums?
Old 02-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
hytenor
Going John Galt

My Rig: '00 Tacoma

coolio!

you could have gone lower, LOL Jim just put a crawler with 5.9s in his new Runner project truck...22r with AT. He took me for a ride and can stop it with no problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
hytenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
alabamatacomaguy
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2001 tacorip 2007 FJ

looks good, nice and clean,
Old 02-26-2006, 05:53 PM   #11
hammerdown
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to hammerdown

random question:
with everything clocked...how do you fill/replace tcase fluids?
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
Don't think too hard, just follow the damned instructions.
ca4wd#9730
hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #12
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown
random question:
I have an added fill plug in mine

I don't know what Kirk did
Quote:
Old 02-26-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
Captkirkyota
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7
Damn Kirk! Your truck is sick! 40" IROK Radials, I'm jealous for sure Why didn't you go for steel wheels instead of aluminums?
Weight, I only get 11-13 mpg is it is now, so any weight to shed is sought, plus I have as of yet to see any steel wheels that I like enough for me, and my taste, not to impugn others who like what they have, I just don't want what is avail on my truck. Plus I've had great results with Aluminum wheels, they seem to have less balancing issues.

Later~captkirkyota~Kirk
Old 02-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #14
Captkirkyota
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown
random question:
Well with mobile one in there, I figure every 1.5-2 years of having to remove the console to fill thru the top plate is no big deal, but I may opt for a fill hole like Chris someday.

Later~captkirkyota~Kirk
Old 02-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #15
Captkirkyota
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor
coolio!

you could have gone lower, LOL Jim just put a crawler with 5.9s in his new Runner project truck...22r with AT. He took me for a ride and can stop it with no problem
Yeah, but that is a 22r, VS my V-6, it already OPENS up my leafs when I stop because of the torque. I don't leave it in drive for long when stopped.

Later~captkirkyota~Kirk
Old 02-26-2006, 06:53 PM   #16
Brain
Veteran Member

What did you end up doing with your e-brake? Get rid of it when you went disk?
Old 02-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #17
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkirkyota
Yeah, but that is a 22r, VS my V-6, it already OPENS up my leafs when I stop because of the torque. I don't leave it in drive for long when stopped.
yea, we need to see one in a v6 truck I think he went ahead and put the 5.9s in the runner hoping to prove that 4.7s would be fine with an AT Tacoma v6. now all he needs is another guinea pig, LOL Tim Kemp was gonna get one but funding dried up

ditto on the ebrake question from Brian...what did you do?
Quote:
Old 02-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #18
Captkirkyota
Veteran Member

Quote:
What did you end up doing with your e-brake? Get rid of it when you went disk?
Brian's full floater kit comes with Supra brakes that have an E-brake attach point on them. I have holes drilled to mount the mount farther back on the frame and I'm gonna use inline wire clamp splice dealies, ( yes that is their technical name ) to hook it back up. I had to do the same thing to extend my lines in the back since my axle was wider and the lines were too short. I'll post pics when I get it done.

Later~captkirkyota~Kirk
Old 02-26-2006, 07:52 PM   #19
Brain
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkirkyota
Brian's full floater kit comes with Supra brakes that have an E-brake attach point on them. I have holes drilled to mount the mount farther back on the frame and I'm gonna use inline wire clamp splice dealies, ( yes that is their technical name ) to hook it back up. I had to do the same thing to extend my lines in the back since my axle was wider and the lines were too short. I'll post pics when I get it done.
Did Brian's full floater kit come complete? Just curious for when I decide to go FF on my Diamond
Old 02-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #20
Captkirkyota
Veteran Member

Quote:
Did Brian's full floater kit come complete? Just curious for when I decide to go FF on my Diamond
Yes, he sells a complete kit, as always call and talk to him and tell him what you want and how much work you do or don't want to do and he'll send what you need.
BTW, congrats on the new rear housing.

Later~captkirkyota~Kirk
Old 02-27-2006, 09:11 AM   #21
gambrinus

Quote:
Why didn't you go for steel wheels instead of aluminums?
I just replaced my steel wheels with aluminum. The steel wheels are twice as heavy and while the steelies rode pretty smooth when they were new, after dragging them across rocks repeatedly they didn't ride so smooth anymore. Kirk has been bashing his aluminum wheels as much as I did my steelies and his tires always rode smooth.

later!
shane
Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #22
mr.trd
I think I remember where Moab is?

Looks great Kirk. Yeah those tires are skinny, but I like them on your truck with the wider axles.... I am sure you have noticed and it has allready been discussed but I like the pic of your truck in the 4Wheel and Sport Utility mag, I think that was the one. Any way looking good bud.
Lift Me, Lock Me, Use Me, Abuse Me
mr.trd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #23
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
I just replaced my steel wheels with aluminum. The steel wheels are twice as heavy and while the steelies rode pretty smooth when they were new, after dragging them across rocks repeatedly they didn't ride so smooth anymore. Kirk has been bashing his aluminum wheels as much as I did my steelies and his tires always rode smooth.

later!
shane
I think the Al takes a lot more punishment than steel while retaining integrity. but if you really slam the Al wheel to the point it cracks... at least steel will get you off the trail.

ah, trade-offs

I'll stick with Al.
Quote:
Old 02-27-2006, 01:09 PM   #24
Brain
Veteran Member

You guys have me convinced LOL
Old 02-27-2006, 01:17 PM   #25
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
You guys have me convinced LOL
of what? that you're going back to IFS and stock alloys?
Quote:
Old 02-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #26
shovelracer
Veteran Member

Can you post the link to the instructions on the inchworm site? When I did mine there wheren't any so I did a writeup on it, and jim said he would put it on the site. Just curious if he used mine, I looked, but didn't find it. You made a good choice. They are a great company.

WWW.NJTTORA.COM

Inchworm crawler rocks!!
shovelracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #27
elliot_irwin
Veteran Member

My Rig: Is that appropriate

was your truck in 4wd and sport utility mag im sure i saw it in there wheeling with other tacomas somewhere in California

by the way diamond axle is the way to go
elliot_irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #28
Captkirkyota
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer
Can you post the link to the instructions on the inchworm site? When I did mine there wheren't any so I did a writeup on it, and jim said he would put it on the site. Just curious if he used mine, I looked, but didn't find it. You made a good choice. They are a great company.
I bought this last year and he sent me links to private pages with instructions that were new and not yet followed. During the install there were some "problems" with the instructions and he is aware of them and is supposed to make the corrections, but being in buz for yourself often keeps stuff like that on the to do list for quite a while.

Later~captkirkyota~Kirk
Old 02-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #29
Captkirkyota
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot_irwin
was your truck in 4wd and sport utility mag im sure i saw it in there wheeling with other tacomas somewhere in California

by the way diamond axle is the way to go
Yes it was, we were on the Dusy run last Aug. when that was taken, and my crawler was at home waiting for me to put it in.

Later~captkirkyota~Kirk
Old 02-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #30
hytenor
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer
did you get my PM? your writeup isn't in the FAQ section but the title is
Quote: