Disable DRL's - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Cheap Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:53 PM   #1
atwinda
Veteran Member

Default Disable DRL's

Short Description: Disbale those day time running lights on your ?? - 2001 Tacoma.

Link: Disable URL's
atwinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
4xClover
---------------

Do you know if that same thing would apply on an '02 4 Runner?
Old 12-07-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
atwinda
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xClover
Do you know if that same thing would apply on an '02 4 Runner?
Like it says in the article, I don't suggest this for anything over a 2001. It works, but the high beam light comes on when you start the truck, they will go off if you flick the high beams on and off.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
Will Revis

I did this mod today after knowing about it for 2 years. I have an 03 DC and yes the blue light blinks but I dont know why I never tryed it before. What a difference. Night and Day. haha
Will Revis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
4xClover
---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwinda
Like it says in the article, I don't suggest this for anything over a 2001. It works, but the high beam light comes on when you start the truck, they will go off if you flick the high beams on and off.
Okay, thanks for the reply. The wife was asking about being able to shut hers off - will check with the yotatech guys or something.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
BigDaddyToy

Default blinking blue light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Revis
I did this mod today after knowing about it for 2 years. I have an 03 DC and yes the blue light blinks but I dont know why I never tryed it before. What a difference. Night and Day. haha
But, can you stop the blinking by activating and deactivating the high beams?

Old 12-07-2004, 10:19 PM   #7
Will Revis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyToy
But, can you stop the blinking by activating and deactivating the high beams?
yes sir.

I figure it's not that big a deal because it only blinks in the daylight and doesnt blind me like it would at night. At night I just turn on the lights and no blinking.

I guess its kind of annoying but being able to shut off my lights outweighs it.
Will Revis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:17 PM   #8
txtaco1

Suh-weet!!! I asked how to do this on the old site and everyone replied like I was crazy that all their lights had to be turned on manually! I hate the day running lights simply because I like to run just the parking lights at dusk or in the rain but don't want the head lamps on and on my 01' this is not an option. I think I will get on that one here in a few days or so... Awesome tip, Thanks!!!

J

"I'm gonna get my tools back from my neighbor"
txtaco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 07:57 PM   #9
mgyver1
Veteran Member

No, it's actually really easy on a 4runner. Next to the battery there is a black little box with a connector on it. Unplug the connector. Viola!
Best In The Desert Racing Association
'02 Ext. cab Prerunner V6 Auto SR5 TRD
mgyver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:04 AM   #10
marcat75

On my 2001, about 4 months after doing this mod the drl's quit working entirely. A few weeks before the hi-beam indi light had gotten to where it would never go off. Just curious - anyone else have this happen after doing the mod? Anyones drl's go out w/o doing the mod?
marcat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #11
txtaco1

I finally took a few minutes to do this one... You couldn't be more correct about that damn day runner box being in a hard place to reach. Once I finally got the F'in plug out I still ended up screwing it up and pulled the wire out of the pin with it still in the plug. I just taped it off and figured I will never use those agian. I guess if I sold it I could figure something out.

Anyway, the good news is that (knock on wood) my blue high beam light does not come on like you guys all talk about. It did the very 1st time I cranked the truck but, not since.

And most important... I can turn my damn lights on and off as I please!!! I love runnibg with just my park lights... Stealth Mode!!! LOL!!!

I installed a pair of Silverstar bulbs as well. I like them but, they don't make any vast improvement over stock. It's cool for $40 though.

Later,

J

Last edited by txtaco1; 01-10-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:34 PM   #12
atwinda
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtaco1
Anyway, the good news is that (knock on wood) my blue high beam light does not come on like you guys all talk about. It did the very 1st time I cranked the truck but, not since.
What year truck do you have?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #13
txtaco1

Quote:

01'

I was pleasntly suprised... The truck was purchased in Texas if that makes any difference.

Later,

J

Old 01-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #14
playaz0429

maybe this is known, but i dont have drl's on my 04 taco, weird?
playaz0429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:21 PM   #15
txtaco1

Quote:

Looks like I spoke too soon! I noticed on the way home from work that the high beam does seem to come on. It's too dim to see during the day but, I could see it after dark.

Anyway, it's till one of my favorite mods so far! I thought I was special!!!

Old 01-11-2005, 09:22 PM   #16
txtaco1

I think that it varys by year and maybe even by state. Mine came that way and I hate it! They are fixed up now though...

Later,

J

Old 01-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #17
MassiveAttack

Send a message via AIM to MassiveAttack

I'm not bashing anyone or trying to discourage, but I don't understand why anyone would want to totally disable there DRLs. Let me tell you a short story that may help explain why I feel so strongly against this idea. Two years ago, I was driving southbound on a two lane highway on a sunny summer afternoon. To my right was a hillside that shaded both lanes peroidically from the sunlight. A 4:35 pm I was hit head on at 45 mph by a Cadillac Deville. the impact was so intense that my '90 civic flipped completly over and landed on it's top. I suffer a broken collar bone, three ribs, both feet, left ankle, both wrists, and a left elbow. I also had multipule skull fractures and two broken veribrate, from where the car landed upside down. The driver of the other car broke his left sholder and was ejected from the car when it rolled into the ditch. There were no skidmarks. I spoke to the man a few weeks later and he said that he looked twice and never saw me until he was less than 30 ft away. He swore to me that my car simple "appeared" out of a shadow. I'm not writing to scare anyone but I hope that everyone will take into consideration that this accident might not have happened if my car had been equiped with DRLs. They are a great passive safety device that has very little cost and does not interfere with your ability to driver or off road. (I read the site, and I understand why they suggest the modification) Thankyou and I invite your feed back, MassiveAttack
MassiveAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #18
CronusTRD
<null>

My Rig: 2010 Jeep YJ
Send a message via AIM to CronusTRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveAttack
I'm not bashing anyone or trying to discourage, but I don't understand why anyone would want to totally disable there DRLs. Let me tell you a short story that may help explain why I feel so strongly against this idea. Two years ago, I was driving southbound on a two lane highway on a sunny summer afternoon. To my right was a hillside that shaded both lanes peroidically from the sunlight. A 4:35 pm I was hit head on at 45 mph by a Cadillac Deville. the impact was so intense that my '90 civic flipped completly over and landed on it's top. I suffer a broken collar bone, three ribs, both feet, left ankle, both wrists, and a left elbow. I also had multipule skull fractures and two broken veribrate, from where the car landed upside down. The driver of the other car broke his left sholder and was ejected from the car when it rolled into the ditch. There were no skidmarks. I spoke to the man a few weeks later and he said that he looked twice and never saw me until he was less than 30 ft away. He swore to me that my car simple "appeared" out of a shadow. I'm not writing to scare anyone but I hope that everyone will take into consideration that this accident might not have happened if my car had been equiped with DRLs. They are a great passive safety device that has very little cost and does not interfere with your ability to driver or off road. (I read the site, and I understand why they suggest the modification) Thankyou and I invite your feed back, MassiveAttack
Not going to read your posts, but i have mine hooked to a cutoff switch for when i come home late at nite. My driveway angles the headlights right at the bedroom window.

Plus it helps for sneaking around for various covert ops
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #19
Peanut Butter
Veteran Member

I have an 04 DCab w/ DRL. Will the same mod work for me? Any complications?

Ugly 1985 4Runner
Peanut Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:48 PM   #20
atwinda
Veteran Member

There are indeed a great number of reasons to keep your DRLs, but I and many other have chosen to disable them. I have paid for new headlights, and running them all the time does not sound so exciting. I also like the ability to turn them off in the fog and run only my fog lights (with the parking lights on of course). To each his own.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #21
atwinda
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Butter
I have an 04 DCab w/ DRL. Will the same mod work for me? Any complications?
As far I as I know this mod will work, but will make the high beam light on your dash be on when you start it. A quick flick of the highs on and off will clear the light, but it is just a pita.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:15 AM   #22
txtaco1

I too agree they are a saftey feature but, to me I would rather have the ability to control when my head lamps are on/off for various reasons none of them that important.

I still run my head lamps during the day when on the highway or if I feel I need to be seen, but other than that I love not having them on all the time. I guess the risk is worth it to me.

Later,

J

Old 01-27-2005, 04:56 PM   #23
VolcomTacoma

Anyone try to add DRL's on a 98-00 Tacoma that didn't come with them? I heard it can be as simple as getting a different relay, but not sure.
VolcomTacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:10 PM   #24
kamaaina1
Veteran Member

On my 04 Xcab I don't have DRL, but I just leave my light switch on all the time, and when I open my drivers door, the lights shut off automatically.
Good Luck!
Old 03-06-2005, 10:06 PM   #25
zero4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveAttack
I'm not bashing anyone or trying to discourage, but I don't understand why anyone would want to totally disable there DRLs.....
Another reason why to disable them. DRLs powers up the headlights at partial power, I have HIDs. Installing HIDs without disabling the the DRLs is a no no. When the DRLs activate, it will cause the HIDs to flicker which is killer on the ballasts. DRLs are a good safety device but I rather have my HIDs than DRLs.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #26
Mike-in-WV
Veteran Member

Well, I have to say that I see no reason to disable them either. It's a great safety feature in low light or dark areas like we have here on our roads in WV.
That being said my 01 SR5 doesn't have the DRL but I leave mine on all the time anyway and they go off when I open the door just like Kammina1.
2001 Tacoma SR5 4x4 , step side, 2.7 , extended cab, Auto. Mobile 1 syn 5w30 , Valvoline 75-90 syn in front and rear diffs and transfer case. Factory 16" wheels ,31" Wild Country TXR 265/75/R16, Aluminum Betterbuilt bed tool box, CB , 55W Halogen light mounted on tool box for back up, Elbow air box mod, 2 500 Hella running lights, Nissan clinometers/Altimiter custom mounted on dash with red back lights.Red dome and mapp light. 2,35watt backup lights.
Mike-in-WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:57 AM   #27
RCPractitioner

If I have ever wanted to run around with my DRL's off I simply engage the e-brake 1 click with the truck off. Then I start the truck and voila! No more DRL's. 1 click on the e-brake isn't enough to really engage the rear brakes and I only do this on an occasional basis when I don't want the DRL's on. Seems like a much easier solution to me.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #28
Tufemup
Veteran Member

I have an '01 but no DRL's. Was it an option in '01?
Tufemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #29
absolut taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by playaz0429
maybe this is known, but i dont have drl's on my 04 taco, weird?
It was a $60 dealer installed option in 2004.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #30
4xbrian

I'm pretty sure you can do it by just setting the parking brake on one click. Its not enouugh to engage the brake, but it 'should' tunr off the DRLs. It works on my wifes car, but my truck is a 95 and doesnt have them, so I'm not sure. Worth a shot though
4xbrian is offline   Reply With Quote