Decided to keep the Toyota and pass on the Rubicon!! - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Early Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
TellicoTRD

Default Decided to keep the Toyota and pass on the Rubicon!!

However....after doing various searches...I am curious as to what front in my 2000 Model 2.7 Liter, manual locking TRD'd tacoma has? I have been looking at some ARB Air Lockers because the versatility to switch between the two seems fabulous! Would I be better off getting like an Aussie or Lockright?? Or should I go all ARB?? Guy's Ive searched...but I want opionions from you people who have them!! I don't want the Lockrights if they are a weak product in the long run..how does it drive, are you able to turn decent? Any info will help......thanks "family"!!
TellicoTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
brost

im thinking the same as you prolly gunna run some ARB air in the rear and eventually in front also i seen on www.4wheelparts.com they sell them dont know how good of a price but since they run of a compressor what is the best set up for eventually running two of them??were to mount them??
brost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
elliot_irwin
Veteran Member

My Rig: Is that appropriate

welcome back, i think you will be happy with an arb. some people dont like the lockright but thats probaly just the noise they dont like. they work great off road though. you will however like being able to select lock the front for those on road situations with an arb.
elliot_irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
shiprekd1

lockrite or aussie is a bad choice for the front axle as it always spins unless you have manual hubs.....

jason
shiprekd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
TellicoTRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiprekd1
lockrite or aussie is a bad choice for the front axle as it always spins unless you have manual hubs.....

jason
Luckily I Have the TRD locking rear and manual locking front!! Is it hard to turn when locked? Thats prolly my deciding factor!
TellicoTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
Paul
Banned

You can't turn for shit with an auto locker in the front. I suggest installing twin sticks or doing the 2 low mod if you have a push button t case. That allows you to disconnect the front end so you can actually turn. I would also carry three or four spare CVs with an auto locker.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
RedRunnertc
Veteran Member

ARB or elocker are the only choices with no compromises. You get normal on road performance and predictable handling in snow/ice, and maximum capability off road.

I have ARB f/r. Got them from 4WP, but trdparts4u, and PORC have really good prices too. Basically, if you buy both lockers, you get the compressor for free.

Since you have manual hubs, the lunchbox lockers will save you a ton of money though, as they are much cheaper and you can do the install yourself. I haven't heard any mention of them being the weak link in the drivetrain. There have been numerous mentions of sketchy handling in the snow/ice as they ratchet.

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'96 Impala SS - my own personal cop car

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
RedRunnertc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
Shakerhood
Veteran Member

I thought you were keeping the Toyota no matter what as your reliable DD and the Jeep was going to be for fun?
Shakerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
brokenbikes

Skip the rachet locker if you do any on road driving in 4wd in the snow. The results are terrifying.
brokenbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
1st TOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellicotrd
I am curious as to what front in my 2000 Model 2.7 Liter, manual locking TRD'd tacoma has? .
The 4 bangers have 4:10 's and the Terds do too. Non terd V6 like mine is 3:91's. Doesn't matter whether or not your 4 banger is TRD or not, should have 4:10's. Hope this is what you are looking for. I heard even a LSD in front does wonders. But if you got the scratch, which if you were going to pay 30 grand for a jeep because it has lockers front and rear, you got the scratch, go with an arb.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #11
Eztrog88
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Eztrog88

Manual hubs... get the auto locker and save yourself the money.

1998 Tacoma
Regular Cab 4x4
2.7L - 5-spd

TJM Front Bumper
Fabtech Coilovers with Fox Racing Shox
1.5" Shackle and Deaver 3-Leaf AAL
ATArmor Sliders
31x10.50 BFG ATs

(Anyone want to trade for my 3.58's ? )
Eztrog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #12
CadetLee

My Rig: '91 MR2
Send a message via AIM to CadetLee Send a message via Skype™ to CadetLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st TOY
The 4 bangers have 4:10 's and the Terds do too. Non terd V6 like mine is 3:91's. Doesn't matter whether or not your 4 banger is TRD or not, should have 4:10's. Hope this is what you are looking for. I heard even a LSD in front does wonders. But if you got the scratch, which if you were going to pay 30 grand for a jeep because it has lockers front and rear, you got the scratch, go with an arb.
I have a '98 non-TRD V6 - per the tire/RPM chart that's floating around somewhere, I have 4.10s..