Noisy Rear Springs - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Late Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
STREAMLINE

Send a message via MSN to STREAMLINE
Smile Noisy Rear Springs

I would like to know how many 05/06 tacoma owner's are having problem's with their rear spring's making noise like they are worn out (creaking) I own a 05 double cab trd sport 4x4 with 42,000 kms on it and all mostly highway miles. I have already had my truck into the dealer about 6 month's ago to put the new silencer kit in and after that had the left rear spring pack replaced. It still makes noise. My service advisor has told me that toyota is trying to develope a new fix for this problem. Every time It start's to creak now I call them and they say they are still waitnig to hear from toyota, but in the mean time they tell me to bring by the shop so they can put some gear dope between the leaf spring's to quiten them up. This seem's kinda hokey to me and I don't know how much longer i can wait to see if there is going to be a fix for this. can anyone shead some light on this situation for me.....thanx!!

www.streamline75.piczo.com
STREAMLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Sisyphus
Veteran Member

http://www.ttora.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1044448

Been an issue, here's a basic search result
My Truck

Quit making excuses and Donate to the Blue Ribbon Coalition

"Well done is better than well said." -- Benjamin Franklin

I've relocated to here
Sisyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
mpower
Veteran Member

same problem same response from the dealer. it comes and goes i usually wash the bushings off and spray them with white lithium grease it usually lasts about a month seeing dirt a few of those days. hopefully the deavers dont have the same problem.
mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
my05taco

Send a message via AIM to my05taco

get some white lithium grease take weight off the springs (jack the truck up by the frame) and spray thoes puppies at the end of every leaf. worked for me for 6 months and i just redid it, took about 5 min.

Sisyphus damn man, search natzi lol jk
Warn M8000
Demello Bolt on Sliders
ARB Front Bumper
Hoes
Dakars
my05taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
Sisyphus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my05taco
get some white lithium grease take weight off the springs (jack the truck up by the frame) and spray thoes puppies at the end of every leaf. worked for me for 6 months and i just redid it, took about 5 min.

lol I'm a little cranky as of late. I've been trying to do some research and I'm getting gazzilions of crappy search results. Multiple posts on the same shit isn't helping. I'm trying to be nice at first
My Truck

Quit making excuses and Donate to the Blue Ribbon Coalition

"Well done is better than well said." -- Benjamin Franklin

I've relocated to here
Sisyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #6
TRDForMe

sisyphus, I dont understand your last post......rephrase please!

1996 GMC Sonoma Highrider ZR-2 (sold)
1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
www.geocities.com/searlo45
TRDForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:04 AM   #7
Paul
Banned

He's saying all the retarded noob questions that get asked every day are cluttering up his searches.

BTW, if you think your springs are noisy, try wheeling my truck.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
Marcopolo
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to Marcopolo

Same problem here took it in, they put silencer pads on, and it lasted about a month and now it is back again.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2045659
Marcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:46 PM   #9
cedarbarn

My truck sounds like an old squeaky bed. I like it.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
jptiger

My 05 does the same thing, but I just ignore it. If it really bothers you there is a thread out there about a simple fix, just can't find it right now. Basically you lift the truck from the frame so that the rear leaf springs will droop and begin to separate. Then cut strips from a heavy duty bicycle tire, the kind that is supposed to resist puncture, and affix the strips between the springs using a generous amount of silicone or other adhesive (of course, you will want to clean the springs first). Lower the truck and wheel it. This fix is assuming the noise is coming from dirt between the springs, which seems to be the primary problem. I have not tried this so I cannot comment on it's effectiveness or longevity. At any rate, it may be worth a try and wouldn't take much time or cost much money; you also wouldn't have to deal with the dealership. Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:34 PM   #11
WyoBob

I don't think I have this problem of squeeky springs (one advantage to having lost a bunch of hearing ability) but I have an idea that might work. I've used this material for a lot of things when I was building airplanes and have used it anywhere the is a rubbing problem. It's UHMW tape. It is very wear resistant UHMW tape with an adhesive backing. If you could clean the springs and attach this tape to all mating surfaces so it's rubbing on itself. I put this stuff on my "Nordic Trac" skis after the factory "nubs" wore off years ago. The material still hasn't rubbed through. Of course, my Nordic Trac doesn't operate in the dirt.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K3F0158CD

Another possible idea (cheaper and easier) is to spray "Boeshield" T9
between the spring leaves.

WyoBob
Old 09-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #12
STREAMLINE

Send a message via MSN to STREAMLINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBob
I don't think I have this problem of squeeky springs (one advantage to having lost a bunch of hearing ability) but I have an idea that might work. I've used this material for a lot of things when I was building airplanes and have used it anywhere the is a rubbing problem. It's UHMW tape. It is very wear resistant UHMW tape with an adhesive backing. If you could clean the springs and attach this tape to all mating surfaces so it's rubbing on itself. I put this stuff on my "Nordic Trac" skis after the factory "nubs" wore off years ago. The material still hasn't rubbed through. Of course, my Nordic Trac doesn't operate in the dirt.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K3F0158CD

Another possible idea (cheaper and easier) is to spray "Boeshield" T9
between the spring leaves.

WyoBob
That sound's like a really good idea to try, but I sure as hell didn't pay $40,000 cdn. for a truck that I have to do that too. I bought this truck for it's quality and reliabiltiy. Toyota should step up to the plate fast and deal with this issue fast!!!!! There are enough people by the sound's of it that are having the same problem, I just hope all the people that do are taking them back and letting toyota know that it is happening. The more complaints they get, the faster i would think they would act.

www.streamline75.piczo.com

Last edited by STREAMLINE; 09-16-2006 at 09:45 PM.
STREAMLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #13
gearbox
Veteran Member

I've been spraying WD40 into the leaf ends, pivot points, and bushing areas. Hard to access and only helps for a month or two or until you drive through high water.

gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:14 PM   #14
TACODOC
Rendezvous Conspiracy

Got Deavers, problem solved for me
Old 09-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #15
ocdropzone
Veteran Member

My Rig: 81 Trekker

Glad I found this thread...thought i was going friggin' nuts about sounds coming from the back of the truck. Just called the dealer, they are gonna install the silencer kit next week, but it sounds like that is a waste of time....Am gonna shoot for the Deaver kit like 05TACODOC suggests after the first of the year...
Old 10-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #16
Scootn2nature
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2000 sr5

Quote:
Originally Posted by my05taco

damn skippy!!!!!!

beats the hell out of wd4o every two weeks

unload and jack er up is the KEY

quickest cheapest best fix overall... powdered graphite works well too...
Scootn2nature is offline   Reply With Quote