well hell - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Rock Crawling Tech > Solid Axle Swap Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
supahonkey

Default well hell

Hmm, I believe I got the whole brake problem almost sorted out. I still have a small vacuum leak, but I'll look into that tomorrow. This evening I went to pull my truck out of the shop for another test run after nearly completing my SAS, and as I began to drive, the rear drive shaft came apart. The splined end came out of the yoke. Of the many posts that I've read, I haven't seen anyone replacing their rear drive shaft. I assume that the drive shaft came apart because I gave it some gas, causing bad axle wrap, disconnecting hte drive shaft. When I look at the drive shaft, the splined part only goes into the yoke about 3/4". I have Pro Comp 3.5" lift blocks along with 63" chevy rears. anyone else had this problem? Currently, my truck is sitting 1"-2" higher in the rear than the front. I could cut 1" off of the lift block, but after doing the math, I would only gain around 1/2 of drive shaft. THIS SUCKS! anyway, tell me waht you think.

brenton
supahonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2004, 10:28 PM   #2
BOOBANELLI21

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahonkey
Hmm, I believe I got the whole brake problem almost sorted out. I still have a small vacuum leak, but I'll look into that tomorrow. This evening I went to pull my truck out of the shop for another test run after nearly completing my SAS, and as I began to drive, the rear drive shaft came apart. The splined end came out of the yoke. Of the many posts that I've read, I haven't seen anyone replacing their rear drive shaft. I assume that the drive shaft came apart because I gave it some gas, causing bad axle wrap, disconnecting hte drive shaft. When I look at the drive shaft, the splined part only goes into the yoke about 3/4". I have Pro Comp 3.5" lift blocks along with 63" chevy rears. anyone else had this problem? Currently, my truck is sitting 1"-2" higher in the rear than the front. I could cut 1" off of the lift block, but after doing the math, I would only gain around 1/2 of drive shaft. THIS SUCKS! anyway, tell me waht you think.

brenton
Ask Yunny about that
BOOBANELLI21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:16 PM   #3
BK005

I drove thru the ditch in my yard and popped mine out, right after I was done. New shaft time..
Make A Friend A Day, So STFU your #2
BK005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:02 AM   #4
YUNADERIS
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to YUNADERIS Send a message via Yahoo to YUNADERIS

your math is wrong

cutting the block wont help your slip half an inch

what you did was move your axle when you did your swap....probably a good idea to drill new holes for your rear leaf spring hangars and move that axle forward

or you can ditch the block all together and run a longer shackle or if you want to get real creative...you can do a drop hangar for the rear shackle and eliminate the blocks all together
YUNADERIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
YUNADERIS
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOBANELLI21
Ask Yunny about that
hey bob,,..whats going on?

come up and visit this weekend..... we can weld and drill and chop and whatever
Old 12-09-2004, 08:02 AM   #6
grumpy

Quote:

brenton
I'd say you moved the axle back to far when doing the chevies. I had to much spline showing after my SAS too. moved the rear axle back too far-redid the mount and pulled the blocks (3") now no splines show at all.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:10 AM   #7
supahonkey

I might do the rear shackle hangar because I really hate blocks so much, and I would do damn near anything to get rid of those mofos. So the object in the rear is to have no splines showing? if that's the case, then I'm about 3 inches away!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:19 AM   #8
grumpy

Quote:
I might do the rear shackle hangar because I really hate blocks so much, and I would do damn near anything to get rid of those mofos. So the object in the rear is to have no splines showing? if that's the case, then I'm about 3 inches away!
you had to redo the rear spring frnt leaf mount, right? I'd look at that as the cause of problems. Better to move front mount then shackle mount. IF axle too far rearward, when compressing it'll move back even farther. Compounding the issue.
anohter chevy leaf swap done here and they moved the axle back too far also, and he too has splines showing.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:17 AM   #9
supahonkey

yes, I did have to redo the rear spring hangars, but I did it 7.5" forward of the original mount, as everyone has told me to do. I guess i'll drill new holes in the blocks to move the axle forward. I was thinking that I might move it around 1" to 1.5" forward, do you think this is enough, or should I move it forward even more? Thanks.

Brenton
Old 12-09-2004, 12:38 PM   #10
grumpy

Quote:
yes, I did have to redo the rear spring hangars, but I did it 7.5" forward of the original mount, as everyone has told me to do. I guess i'll drill new holes in the blocks to move the axle forward. I was thinking that I might move it around 1" to 1.5" forward, do you think this is enough, or should I move it forward even more? Thanks.

Brenton
not usre if drilling new holes in blocks is a good idea.

I'm not usre how much you should move it. I'd go for wheel placement in the wheel well. I'd also consider moving it forward maybe 1/4-1/2". it'll move backwards on compression. On mine W 35" tires I'd rub. I'm currently installing the bushwacker cutouts. I hope this cures it.

jsut found out my front shackles are too far back. Causing to bend back to frame and then the leafs are compressing against it.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:47 PM   #11
DesertTRD
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to DesertTRD

You didnt move your spring hangers far enough forward when you did your leaf spring swap, you get more drive shaft extention at full bump than you do when its drooped out.. I can explain it in more detail if you want.

I did 62's on my truck and i noticed how at full droop the drive shaft actually got shorter not longer.

Book of the Piece Chapter 3, Verse 10

meh... it's yer junk... so wgasa. LoL -- TacoDell
DesertTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:46 PM   #12
YUNADERIS
Veteran Member

damn Grumpy..... you said what i said ...so you saying what i said is a good thing as we say the same thing so saying the thing together is the best thing
Old 12-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #13
grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUNADERIS
damn Grumpy..... you said what i said ...so you saying what i said is a good thing as we say the same thing so saying the thing together is the best thing
now there you go trying to cnfuse me again.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:09 PM   #14
YUNADERIS
Veteran Member

no, its all really simple..you just agree with what i say and then its all good...
Old 12-09-2004, 02:15 PM   #15
DesertTRD
Veteran Member

Quote:

Brenton
First off asking ppl how to setup your truck is a bad idea, you should not be going off what people say here, you should have been cycling your suspension with it all tacked together, this will tell you if its going to work of fail, not going off someone elses measuring tape over the internet, the 7.5 or so was a rough estimate of what works, doesnt mean it works with all vehicles, chock it up as a learning experience and no go cycle your shit and find out whats wrong, which is what you should have done in the first place.

Just an FYI if you had done what im saying above the first time, you should have seen it was going to fall out before you ever got close to finishing it. now its going to be a bitch to fix.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:29 PM   #16
grumpy

I knew it. you think your always right.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:33 PM   #17
DesertTRD
Veteran Member

Quote:

Brenton
I wrote this just for you!

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...61&postcount=1

Old 12-09-2004, 02:56 PM   #18
YUNADERIS
Veteran Member

no, you confirmed i was right
Old 12-09-2004, 05:19 PM   #19
BigBadBob0
Random Dude

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBob0

Can't really cycle the suspension with it tacked up. But you can at least set it down off of the jackstands to get an idea of where it will be on flat ground. With 3" showing that would have been a big warning sign.

Probably worth noting that the amount you move your axle (7.5" mentioned above) will be different for 97 and earlier since they had shorter packs.
BigBadBob0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:09 AM   #20
supahonkey

hmmm, well, I temporarily solved that problem by cutting 1.5" from the lift blocks, which actually worked out nicely; the truck is now level. In a few weeks (once my bank account has time to recover from the SAS) I will buy the new front driveshaft along with a new rear shaft while I'm at it.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:52 AM   #21
YUNADERIS
Veteran Member

why a new rear shaft?
Old 12-10-2004, 07:01 AM   #22
grumpy

Quote:
hmmm, well, I temporarily solved that problem by cutting 1.5" from the lift blocks, which actually worked out nicely; the truck is now level. In a few weeks (once my bank account has time to recover from the SAS) I will buy the new front driveshaft along with a new rear shaft while I'm at it.
sounds like its coming along.
IMO if you need a different length rear driveshaft, you need to be looking at whats causing it. Unless you truely lifted the truck that high.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:09 AM   #23
ptrautne
Long lost Taco Owner

My Rig: 2012 Toyota Rav4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
sounds like its coming along.
IMO if you need a different length rear driveshaft, you need to be looking at whats causing it. Unless you truely lifted the truck that high.
The rear of my truck is at ~ 6 1/2-7" of lift and the splines are showing so I would say that it came out because of too much lift.
ptrautne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #24
YUNADERIS
Veteran Member

for all the guys that did the chebby spring swap and now have too much spline showing...you moved the axle back too much...you need to redrill the holes in your front mounts and move them forward a bit
Old 12-10-2004, 02:15 PM   #25
ptrautne
Long lost Taco Owner

Quote:
for all the guys that did the chebby spring swap and now have too much spline showing...you moved the axle back too much...you need to redrill the holes in your front mounts and move them forward a bit
When I stuff my tire, it is centered in the fender so if I move it forward it will hit the fender under flex
Old 12-10-2004, 03:07 PM   #26
DesertTRD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrautne
When I stuff my tire, it is centered in the fender so if I move it forward it will hit the fender under flex
thats how it should be is at full stuff centered at regular ride height forward more.

Old 12-10-2004, 03:46 PM   #27
YUNADERIS
Veteran Member

hehe.....you da man.....cut your ifs off already
Old 12-10-2004, 05:21 PM   #28
ptrautne
Long lost Taco Owner

Quote:
hehe.....you da man.....cut your ifs off already
I got an 88 to do an SAS on.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:47 PM   #29
BOOBANELLI21

Quote:
hey bob,,..whats going on?

come up and visit this weekend..... we can weld and drill and chop and whatever
Whats up man? I totally was going to cruise over this weekend, its my 3 day But Brian decided to get married all of a sudden so I've got to be at his wedding on Sat. I might get crazy and shoot up Sunday or something....lemme talk to the boss
BOOBANELLI21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:55 PM   #30
joe_mauma

I recently placed 63" chevy's on my truck, don't have any spline showing at all. Moved the front spring hanger forward exactly 7.5".
joe_mauma is offline   Reply With Quote