scrap yard find - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > By State > Ohio > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
ron86toy

Default scrap yard find

It is raining today...so I had the day off.Hooked up the trailer to go searchin through the scrap yards down in the hood(Saginaw,Mi)....always find good stuff;axles,square and plate steel.Went looking for material to build a new welding table....came across this(by the way...yeah,thats it on my trailer)

Threw a set of jumper cables on it....after about 30 minutes playing under the hood, had her running and drove up on the trailer.....sorry,not for sale....wife likes it

got the stuff for the table too
duals w/triple stick
hydro assist
LC Engineering 22re
37" comp Treps on forged Alcoa's w/ OMF BL
CBI bumpers/sliders
Tmax
218 dents
1386 scratches
Page 108 in CRAWL Nov/Dec '07

'83 stepside on 33's
ron86toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
ohio03trdtaco
Out of Money

Send a message via Yahoo to ohio03trdtaco

Good find, since you don't want to sell it what about give it away for free?
ohio03trdtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
SuperPoser
IN NEED OF TACO

Send a message via AIM to SuperPoser

awsome dude!
if you find another, let me know
WWW.PATTORA.COM since 2002

http://www.facebook.com/kick8472

2007 Blue Taco Double Cab
2004 KTM 200 SX
2003 Green/Tan Spyder 1ZZ
SuperPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
ron86toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio03trdtaco View Post
Good find, since you don't want to sell it what about give it away for free?
Wife has been wanting a FJ45 pick-up for a trail rig.....when I find those they are about 6k.....I went up to her work on the way home(she wont scream at me there for buying something....thought ahead)...she was throwing ideas at me for it and took me out to lunch.
I have already been looking at 2 place trailers....maybe I will get the go ahead for that one too
duals w/triple stick
hydro assist
LC Engineering 22re
CBI bumpers/sliders
Tmax
218 dents
1386 scratches

'83 stepside on 33's
Old 04-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
ron86toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPoser View Post
awsome dude!
if you find another, let me know
two of them down the road from me....rough shape...I think 1 runs,I almost bought them a couple months back,picked up a 87 22rte pick-up from the guy instead
duals w/triple stick
hydro assist
LC Engineering 22re
CBI bumpers/sliders
Tmax
218 dents
1386 scratches

'83 stepside on 33's
Old 04-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
ohio03trdtaco
Out of Money

Does it still have a good title?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
ron86toy

Quote:
Does it still have a good title?
yup...got the title with it too...put it this way....I got the metal for the table also...and spent less than 500.00
duals w/triple stick
hydro assist
LC Engineering 22re
CBI bumpers/sliders
Tmax
218 dents
1386 scratches

'83 stepside on 33's
Old 04-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
ohio03trdtaco
Out of Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron86toy View Post
yup...got the title with it too...put it this way....I got the metal for the table also...and spent less than 500.00
ok all I can say lucky luck find.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
ron86toy

Quote:
ok all I can say lucky luck find.
I find this stuff all the time...got this one in Jan for free

duals w/triple stick
hydro assist
LC Engineering 22re
CBI bumpers/sliders
Tmax
218 dents
1386 scratches

'83 stepside on 33's
Old 04-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
head
Mr. President

Send a message via AIM to head

some people have all the luck. great find.

1984 Pickup Extended Cab - Trail Rig
Locked F/R, 4.88's, 37's, Hi-steer, Twin stick, Dual cases, Flatbed

1986 4runner - e-locker, 4.56's, 31's
1986 Pickup Extended Cab - Work in progress
2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 4x4 - Tow Rig
2004 Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 TRD 4X4 - SOLD

Blue Ribbon Coalition #51205
PhotoBucket Page
OHTTORA
head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #11
Bear
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1997 Toyota Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron86toy View Post
two of them down the road from me....rough shape...I think 1 runs,I almost bought them a couple months back,picked up a 87 22rte pick-up from the guy instead
I know this is an old thread, but I just revisited it, and had an idea. I went to look at an FJ last weekend, poor thing, only thing salvagable was the frame and that was questionable.

If you got more info on those other two down the road from you, I would be interested, also if you have pixsm it would be awesome! I understand some rust and with my plans, the project rig I am wanting doesn't have to be prestine, just more solid metal than rust (the one I looked at actually had plywood making up most of the tub). Rocker panels were merely memories!

Originally Posted by abbott
remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #12
bradleyem
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to bradleyem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just revisited it, and had an idea. I went to look at an FJ last weekend, poor thing, only thing salvagable was the frame and that was questionable.

If you got more info on those other two down the road from you, I would be interested, also if you have pixsm it would be awesome! I understand some rust and with my plans, the project rig I am wanting doesn't have to be prestine, just more solid metal than rust (the one I looked at actually had plywood making up most of the tub). Rocker panels were merely memories!
Hey Bear.....

Don't you think that you have enough projects going on right now

You better be careful, you don't want to upset momma bear....LOL

That has always been one of my ideal projects...restoring an old FJ.....but I pretty much gave up on that a long time ago since the only ones that are to be found around these parts are like the one that you described...more rust ( or something else) than metal. The sad thing is that there is a beautiful FJ that I see around OSU campus all of the time, and its probably being driven by some brat college kid who has no idea what he's got
bradleyem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #13
ron86toy

Quote:

sent you a pm
duals w/triple stick
hydro assist
LC Engineering 22re
CBI bumpers/sliders
Tmax
218 dents
1386 scratches

'83 stepside on 33's
Old 06-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #14
Bear
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyem View Post
Hey Bear.....

Don't you think that you have enough projects going on right now

You better be careful, you don't want to upset momma bear....LOL

That has always been one of my ideal projects...restoring an old FJ.....but I pretty much gave up on that a long time ago since the only ones that are to be found around these parts are like the one that you described...more rust ( or something else) than metal. The sad thing is that there is a beautiful FJ that I see around OSU campus all of the time, and its probably being driven by some brat college kid who has no idea what he's got
Eric, I know this is an old thread so sue me if you don't like it! But I figured since I read it again today this next bit would be fitting.

Guess what I have agreed in principle to buy, and with Momma bears blessings!

Yup! a '72 FJ40! So yes you are right I do now officially have too many projects to finish up!

The axle I picked up from you is now going to go under the FJ instead of my "junk yard dog" but of coarse that is only after I move the axle back on the taco, rebuild the bmw's motor and finish the deck I started last weekend.

It's going to be a busy summer especially since I already have runs planned to go on!

remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:41 AM   #15
bradleyem
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to bradleyem

Quote:
Eric, I know this is an old thread so sue me if you don't like it! But I figured since I read it again today this next bit would be fitting.

Yup! a '72 FJ40! So yes you are right I do now officially have too many projects to finish up!

The axle I picked up from you is now going to go under the FJ instead of my "junk yard dog" but of coarse that is only after I move the axle back on the taco, rebuild the bmw's motor and finish the deck I started last weekend.

It's going to be a busy summer especially since I already have runs planned to go on!
Well, that FJ40 project would certainly be worth it! Congrats on finding one to restore. I just need to start buying steel and parts and get going on my project. But now that summer is here I've been thinking of buying a motorcycle, so thats just more money that I won't be able to spend on the Tacos.....oh well, I guess its better to have too many projects than to not have enough and be bored......
bradleyem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #16
Bear
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyem View Post
Well, that FJ40 project would certainly be worth it! Congrats on finding one to restore. I just need to start buying steel and parts and get going on my project. But now that summer is here I've been thinking of buying a motorcycle, so thats just more money that I won't be able to spend on the Tacos.....oh well, I guess its better to have too many projects than to not have enough and be bored......
I guess so!

I was thinking of a motorcycle as well, and then found the FJ so the bike took second chair for now!

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 AM   #17
phishtaco

Quote:

Bear....i've got a buddy in Carrolton, KY with a whole mess of 40 parts. Good disc brake axles, 4 speed trannys, wheels tires...blah, blah...enough parts to make 1.5 good 40s. He wants 1000 for the whole mess, just come tow it away. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get you in contact.
phishtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #18
Bear
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtaco View Post
Bear....i've got a buddy in Carrolton, KY with a whole mess of 40 parts. Good disc brake axles, 4 speed trannys, wheels tires...blah, blah...enough parts to make 1.5 good 40s. He wants 1000 for the whole mess, just come tow it away. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get you in contact.
I appreciate that. The FJ I am picking up is in overall good shape, maybe a tweak here and there. but basically what I want. It is coming without a motor which is fine with me since I already have a V8 that I was going to use for something else.

I am also not sure how much I am going to make this road worthy or not. Might just make this a trailer queen, if so, then all the trim pieces and such won't be needed!

But I will keep you and your friend in mind for the "in case of's" I was going to hit you up anyway after I get it seeing that you have one yourself. I am sure there are going to be things about it I won't know but you would be able to answer for me.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #19
phishtaco

cool let me know and join tlca and start browsing ih8mud religously.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #20
Bear
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtaco View Post
cool let me know and join tlca and start browsing ih8mud religously.
I heard ih8mud is the place to search and hang out at, if you have an FJ.

Been meaning to check it out, just haven't had the time lately

How much do you take your top off? (the fj )

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #21
phishtaco

once a year....I bought a soft top this year. The hard top may never find it's way back on, I bet the soft top seals up better anyway. There is a good group of Hoosier Cruisers people. Well lets see the pix?
What are your plans for this thing?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #22
Bear
Veteran Member

It's not in my possession yet! I have agreed to purchase it in principle.

But the body is in pretty good shape, the tub is pretty solid with a few areas that will need some attention, no motor or drivetrain, basically a rolling chassis.

As soon as I bring it home I will get some photos of it! but it has the hard top and doors and was painted red. (not crazy about red, but oh well)

I plan on putting my 14 bolt rear axle under the back and find a Dan 60 for the front. I originally was going to build a "budget build" or "junk yard dog" but then this rig came along so I have many parts I was going to use for the rock crawler to switch over to this rig.

It is probably never going to see the road unless I have to drive it to the trail head. It is basically going to be a rig my kids can drive on the trails while I have my taco. and I don't have to worry about either the kids or the rig getting too hurt!

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #23
phishtaco

Ditch the top and the doors then, you'll never put them back on. The top is heavy and big to store. You might want to make 1/2 doors out of the fronts or there are some super nice tube doors.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #24
Bear
Veteran Member

Currently, I think if I start thinking about "body work" and such, I will be getting ahead of myself. Figure I will work on this like I do most other things.

From the bottom up! think suspension first then motor/driveline, then tub and then exterior.

but the half doors sound interesting. Got any links? Knowing that the FJ is becoming somewhat harder and harder to find, I am a bit leary about cutting such panels as the doors or roof. Would rather recycle them if I decide not to use them. I am also thinking I want a soft top as you said you are going towards. but I don't know anything about them in regards to where to shop for them or even a price range on them.

GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 AM   #25
phishtaco

You just need to get off the ttora crap and onto ih8mud.com This is where you will find all your answers.
Soft tops range from 600-1000 I bought a new used one for 400
Old 06-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #26
Bear
Veteran Member

I haven't had the time! but I will check it out. probably today since I am sitting at work without a camera! It brokdid, so a photographer without a camera means a lot more net surfing today!

GO SPURS GO!!!!