My next ride - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > By State > Texas > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

View Poll Results: What's my next ride?
2007 Tundra 6 25.00%
2005+ Tacoma 16 66.67%
1998-99 2dr Tahoe 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
swank501
Thank God 4 Every Day

Default My next ride

Well, I verbally sold my truck this afternoon and am awaiting deposit right now.........

SOOOOOOOOO, I need to get something to replace it and I have narrowed my list of vehicles I want. It's really hard to find a perfect vehicle...

So here's my list in no particular order

1- 2007 Tundra Sport reg cab 4x4 with 5.7

2-2005+ Tacoma Sport 4x4

3-1998-1999 Tahoe 2dr Sport

I think this pretty much sums up my list. Obviously the first two are the most expensive options and i have always loved the look of the 2dr tahoes.
I have owned three Tacomas and two full sized Chevies so I'm fine either way. I guess I'm looking for a sway in any direction
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Cmartinez95
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to Cmartinez95 Send a message via Yahoo to Cmartinez95

How about a VW beetle. It's got a spot for a vase. You can put pretty little flowers in there!!!

Ok, just messing with you man. I vote for either yota. I like Chebbies too, but that Toyota quality is something that I just can't get away from...
ARB BullBar, Demello Hybrid Rear Bumper, Custom Made "Funky" Sliders, Front ARB Air Locker, Custom made skid plate, Sway Away coilovers, Wheelers HD Leaf springs (not recommended), Downey Shackles, OBA with Viair 350c and Viair 2.5 gallon tank, Bud Built Traction Bar, V1 Radar Detector,Kenwood DVD Player, Cobra CB, 32x11.50 BFG Mud Terrains and a bunch of scratches and dents. All gone.

New Ride: 2014 TSS DoubleCab 4x4 - No Mods
Cmartinez95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
onelastcast
Veteran Member

Sad to see that very capable truck leave. I'm sure its going to very capable hands.

Steve, with school and your other needs, its your vehicle man; go with what you want. It's your gas money and your DD. It all depends on what your main use is man. Personally, I would buy the 05 Taco but its ur money man.

GL, go for broke, but don't go broke!
Jose
Old 08-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
Interex
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Interex

Big question is, do you plan to wheel it at all?

If yes - Tacoma
4X4 Conversion Thread
Interex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
BurntOrngeLonghorn

To me the question is if you want a car note to pay on or not. If you sold your current truck to try and save some money for school, then why go out and buy a truck that you're going to have to pay a ridiculous car note on?

Find a nice 99-04 Tacoma or Tundra...you won't be dissapointed.
BurntOrngeLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
purity
Banned

i thought you were selling your truck because of the poor gas mileage and it being too expensive for a student? yet your choices here dont seem to be any improvement over that. is money and mileage still a concern? because it looks to me you will be gaining little improvement in mileage/economy that will also be completely negated by a new huge car payment. so whats the scoop? between these choices the new taco is maybe the most economical.

Last edited by purity; 08-13-2007 at 09:31 PM.
purity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
swank501
Thank God 4 Every Day

My Tacoma was more suited for a weekend warrior. You are right, my choices may not seem more economical at first, but I'm not just talking about fuel economy.
With my Tacoma, I had alot of maintenance to keep up with like replacing broken parts and upgrading said broken parts and it turns into a cycle of spending all my money on this truck that has turned into a trail beast and less of a daily driver. It's hard to go wheeling in a truck like that and not push yourself to the limit. That being said, it always turns into something breaking and something else needing to be upgraded.You always find that little something that can be improved and then spend the next several days cutting,welding, and spending every last dollar only to find that the next weak link needs the same attention. These are not good qualities of a good daily driven vehicle.

I still plan to do some light wheeling whenever I can find the time. I just don't have the time to keep after a truck that requires alot of attention. THe reasons I'm considering something new is
-Warranty
-Longevity
-peace of mind
If I go with the new Tundra, I will have a fat down payment with the sale of my truck. I have already talked to the dealer and with 5,000 off MSRP and 0% financing, I don't think my payment will be so rediculous. THey are claiming up to 20 MPG with the setup I want so I don't think it's so horrible on fuel either. Plus, by the time I graduate with my engr degree, I will have a really sweet tow rig to pull whatever I decide to build once I'm actually an engineer
Old 08-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
99FlowedTaco
Shrockworks 4x4 Products

Send a message via ICQ to 99FlowedTaco Send a message via AIM to 99FlowedTaco Send a message via MSN to 99FlowedTaco Send a message via Yahoo to 99FlowedTaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by swank501 View Post
Well, I verbally sold my truck this afternoon and am awaiting deposit right now.........

SOOOOOOOOO, I need to get something to replace it and I have narrowed my list of vehicles I want. It's really hard to find a perfect vehicle...

So here's my list in no particular order

1- 2007 Tundra Sport reg cab 4x4 with 5.7

2-2005+ Tacoma Sport 4x4

3-1998-1999 Tahoe 2dr Sport

I think this pretty much sums up my list. Obviously the first two are the most expensive options and i have always loved the look of the 2dr tahoes.
I have owned three Tacomas and two full sized Chevies so I'm fine either way. I guess I'm looking for a sway in any direction

get the taco and I'll see what I can do about some bolt on sliders ;-)

2002 4Runner SR5 - DD

http://www.shrockworks.com
Got questions on a product we sell , please PM any questions.

99FlowedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #9
Jomentum
Old sleepy guy

My Rig: 97 T100 Sas on 36's
Default Truck

As long as it's something Toyota...You'll be ALLRIGHT
I'll lend a hand
I think the new trucks are doing good.

If it's not...Yer on Yer Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasaholic View Post
its spelled BITCH and thats exactly what u are
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMINATOR View Post
my girlfriend works
Jomentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
ROCKWIESER
Veteran Member

first off the tahoe that style is going to be alot of up keep. I like those tahoes but there not nearly as little work and reliable as a toyota.

I would say either:
1.New Tacoma
2. Or go for a 04 used double cab or extended cab. Get a warranty with it.
you'll get what you want
1. cheaper then an 05+
2.Better gas mileage (with the smaller engine)
3. and still the toyota reliability

The problem is not that you had to keep replacing parts the problem is you wheeling the crap out of it lol!!!
One TONS?
1998 Lexus SC300 2JZ
For sale
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L TOW RIG
Leveling kit , bigger tires
The"NINO"
ROCKWIESER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
speedemon55
Red Beard the Pirate

My Rig: 86 4Runner, 76 FJ40

i vote keep your truck cause you will regret it. or get the tundra so you have something to tow the trail rig you will end up buying when you get the itch. the tahoe will do it but i have had bad luck towing with tahoes. 1. killed my mom's tranny in her 96 4dr tahoe. 2. killed my sisters distributor cap, in her 96 2 dr tahoe (cheap fix) causing a bad miss, running on 6 cylinders, horrible mileage and burned a hole in the exhaust, causing eye burning gas fumes. but it is a sweet ride on at's with some glasspacks and good power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecwboy View Post
Adam, Hossmaster and mitch will all get done on the same day. 3 days after hell freezes over
speedemon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
Spacecwboy
Happy, Happy, Happy

My Rig: 1974 FJ40

Chevy's notoriously have bad transmissions, and they just seem to be so cheaply made. I have the 05 tundra and I love it. Gets much better fuel economy than my tacoma ever did (even in its stock form). I am a little biased towards it now, after having owned both. HOWEVER, do you really need a full size truck? What are you going to tow with it? How often will you be towing this thing? I think the Tacoma is probably a better fit for your needs, but thats my opinion
Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #13
swank501
Thank God 4 Every Day

I know the chevies have some weak points, but they are pretty reliable and are damn cheap to fix when stuff does go wrong. Not my first choice, but I really liked the ones I previously owned. The only reason I put it on my list is because I have been driving my grandpas '99 around alot lately and it's really a nice ride.

I like the Tacomas, but the fuel economy is roughly the same as the Tundras and they are also about the same price. That 5.7 really puts you deep in the seat when you hit the gas and the brakes are amazing as well. The wheelability is better with the Tacoma, but I don't know how much hardcore wheeling I will be doing for the next couple years.

I know I will regret selling the Tacoma for awhile, but I really believe that I can build something better in the future and keeping this one will prevent that from ever happening.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #14
Interex
Veteran Member

You've got to be crazy to wheel that '07 Tundra.
4X4 Conversion Thread
Old 08-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #15
speedemon55
Red Beard the Pirate

Quote:
I like the Tacomas, but the fuel economy is roughly the same as the Tundras and they are also about the same price. That 5.7 really puts you deep in the seat when you hit the gas and the brakes are amazing as well.
the financing goes deep in your wallet too, but those tundras are sweet....
Quote:
Adam, Hossmaster and mitch will all get done on the same day. 3 days after hell freezes over
Old 08-13-2007, 08:38 PM   #16
Jomentum
Old sleepy guy

My Rig: 97 T100 Sas on 36's

Get the Tundra 2 dr 4x4!

I'm sure We can SaS it
have it done by the time you finish sKoool
Oh yeah.....i SAID SaS it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasaholic View Post
its spelled BITCH and thats exactly what u are
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMINATOR View Post
my girlfriend works
Jomentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #17
Spacecwboy
Happy, Happy, Happy

My Rig: 1974 FJ40

The upside of the Tundra is the financing offer right now. If they had that when I was looking I wouldnt be driving an 05! I will vouch for the power in the v-8, while I dont have new and improved big V-8, mine will hold its own. 0-100 is pretty quick, I dont usually get the chance to time it when I have the occassion to run that fast, but it will get out from under you if you arent ready. The only drawback I have found thus far is the small ass tires that come stock on them, but that can be remedied. Just keep us updated on your decision. If you need any help locating a specific truck let me know, I have 2 good dealers here pretty close. I know the owner of one (doesnt really help the price, unfortunately) and the other is one from whom my family has bought multiple vehicles in the past. Let me know if I can help
Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #18
purity
Banned

Quote:
If I go with the new Tundra, I will have a fat down payment with the sale of my truck. I have already talked to the dealer and with 5,000 off MSRP and 0% financing, I don't think my payment will be so rediculous. THey are claiming up to 20 MPG with the setup I want so I don't think it's so horrible on fuel either. Plus, by the time I graduate with my engr degree, I will have a really sweet tow rig to pull whatever I decide to build once I'm actually an engineer
well that sounds like a game plan. i say go for it then!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #19
onelastcast
Veteran Member

If all you want is a reliable DD with warranty, then keep your Taco and get a Corolla, Camary, Scion, or anything reliable with warranty. You could find a cheap finance if you get a car with just the bear necessities. Keep your taco as a weekend Mall warrior or strictly a trail rider. Seek a ye shall find.
If you’re set on selling the Taco, then get the Tundra. Sounds like you have it all planned out pretty good. If you say you can get the about the same mileage and for about the same price as the 05 Taco, then get the Tundra. You'll be set as far as having a work horse to tow your future trail rig. While you get the rig, you'll be riding shotgun.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:35 AM   #20
my2coma
Texas Chapter Presidente

My Rig: 86 sas'd 4Runner

My vote is the Tundra....I like Joes' idea of an eventual SAS..

SAS'd 86 4Runner
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112402
97 Taco
99 4Runner
my2coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #21
AggieTaco
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to AggieTaco

Who's offering 5K off MSRP and 0% on the new Tundras?

GST's offer is 3K off OR 0% right now, but if you've found a dealer that will give the 0% and 5K off, I need their number.
84 4Runner - Miss 'Pane - gone (TTR traitor)
98 Tacoma - Taliban Truck - gone (still in TTORA)

AggieTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #22
speedemon55
Red Beard the Pirate

sweet, do it!
Quote:
Old 08-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #23
Broken wrench
Veteran Member

you should save your money and get a Vespa, and you will be the shit of Aggie land.

The Tundra is nice, more so for a future tow rig.
2 D60 fronts
14blt
86 x-cab???
86 runner
88 runner chassis

http://www.yotaranch.com/home

needs:
33-34" tires for 15"
Coilovers
14blt Detroits
Broken wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #24
swank501
Thank God 4 Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieTaco View Post
Who's offering 5K off MSRP and 0% on the new Tundras?

GST's offer is 3K off OR 0% right now, but if you've found a dealer that will give the 0% and 5K off, I need their number.
You are right, but that is the incentive that everyone gets. THey will budge about 2,000 off the MSRP for a total of 5,000 off. As I was walking out he said he could do the 0% financing as well. This was at Fred Haas in Spring.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #25
AggieTaco
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to AggieTaco

Thanks, I'll have to give them a call. I haven't sat down and talked numbers with anyone yet, I'm in the same boat as you as far as trying to find THE truck.
84 4Runner - Miss 'Pane - gone (TTR traitor)
98 Tacoma - Taliban Truck - gone (still in TTORA)

AggieTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #26
swank501
Thank God 4 Every Day

Well, I'm off to Atlanta in the morning to pick up my next ride. Pics will be here soon
Old 08-16-2007, 09:42 PM   #27
purity
Banned

Quote:
Well, I'm off to Atlanta in the morning to pick up my next ride. Pics will be here soon
Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #28
Interex
Veteran Member

Quote:
Atlanta?? What did you end up choosing?
4X4 Conversion Thread
Old 08-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #29
speedemon55
Red Beard the Pirate

yeah, WTF? don't keep us in suspense.
Quote:
Old 08-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #30
Marcopolo
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to Marcopolo

I hope Steve doesn't get mad at me for letting the cat out of the bag but he is getting another Taco, and it has a 4 link set up, and a Light Kit for under the truck!

97 Custom Toyota Tacoma - $5800
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/396229399.html

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2045659
Marcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote