Uncommon Mods you can't live without... - Page 4 - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Cheap Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #91
tarantulaman
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1999 Taco- Ext.Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoman View Post
Might look a little funny, but man is it nice out in the bush! Got tired of leaning on trees to go, so I made this....actually I made it for camping in the snow for an anual trip I do every January.
http://img398.imageshack.us/my.php?i...throne2oa8.jpg
That shitter is too cool! Who said camping wasn't civilized!
tarantulaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 07:26 AM   #92
darwink1
Veteran Member

the best thing i have done so far along these lines was redo the cup holders in my 00. the stock ones are freaking square and dont hold a damn thing worth a shit. an xl coffee would fall onto the pass seat floor when negotiating corners on the street and would end up on the roof when off road.

i used 1/2 inch plastic some roofing screws and a couple plastic jars i had lying around.

cut out the original holders and mounted the plastic plate. slid in the cups in and now i can take em out to clean them and theyre deep enough to swallow an xl. the diameter turned out to be perfect too and it they hug the cup wicked. on the trail as long as the coffees not too full it dont move or spill.

(just a note turn your to go cup lid tab in instead of folding it out itll keep the coffee in better).

i have lids for the jars too so that could be another another use.

i also incorporated an ipod shuffle slot next to the ipod plug in and drilled a hole in the side of the plate for the jack. holds it in there nice and i dont lose it. also turned out to be perfect for a bic lighter. the change thing is deeper now as well.

looking back i could have made it a bit wider offset the jars and had way more room to play with. hmmm cell holder, bigger change thing......satellite mount lol.

heres a couple pics.

had all the materials already lying around so if u were to get creative u could use almost anything.
06 Dodge power wagon beater dd...
1969 fj40 frankenplowvan
darwink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #93
jamarquardt22
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jamarquardt22

I Calked around all the gromits in the floor and rear of the cab. I kept getting water on the drivers side in front . been dry now for over a year.

86 4 Runner 4cly 5-speed trail rig in the works
Dual's 4.7, locked F/R 37's 1 1/2" lift and IFS

06 Honda Ridgeline RTL, DD and towrig.
jamarquardt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #94
Hilux Surf Limited

I really like the pen holder mod, keeps em from gettin lost all the time. Ingenious!
1998 Hilux Surf Limited, 2.7L 3RZ-FE Auto, Nitto Terra Grappler P265/70R17 on 17x8 Enkei RT-6 wheels, IPF PRESPEED exaust system (made by IPF who makes offroad lighting), Custom ISR / Intake, Optima red top with custom holder/tray, Raybrig fogs/driving lights, OEM bullbar with huge toyota fogs, Rear spoiler with electric back up mirror, OEM window rain gaurds, NGK wires, Denso Iridium plugs, and....
Hilux Surf Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:52 AM   #95
baddmr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
This is so ridiculously cheap, and completely unexciting, that it is often overlooked: a decent steering wheel cover, I got sick of having the steering wheel slip through my hands when I was wheeling, so I spent pocket change on one; made a world of difference.

GOD I HATE STEERING WHEEL COVERS!!!!
baddmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:58 AM   #96
DentedTacoma
Veteran Member

Agreed.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 AM   #97
boostaholic9

Does anyone know where to get a write up for the HAND THROTTLE mod? i have seen some that are located on the steering wheel or on the stick shift as well.

anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARTOY View Post
What are all of those hoses on the front of your truck for? Do you have a flux capacitor in there or just a laundromat?
boostaholic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 AM   #98
Interex
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Interex

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic9 View Post
Does anyone know where to get a write up for the HAND THROTTLE mod? i have seen some that are located on the steering wheel or on the stick shift as well.

anyone?
Search

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=21213

http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/...le/oicnaic.htm

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Produc...=20617B3967517
4X4 Conversion Thread
Interex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 PM   #99
TheAussie1
Gargle my sack

This is for Monomans porta-chair. I have one similar. It's called "The Outback Shitta" (yea, it's written on the chair too, so when we go on trips people I pass can read it) and its just an old steel folding chair with a hole in it and a toilet seat screwed on. Works great!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:33 PM   #100
TacoDell
truck ~n~ tow

My Rig: '00 Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwink1 View Post
Cheap and free is good... But damn... that is the ugliest hack job I've ever seen... I'd rather spill my coffee... LOL
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build
TacoDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #101
jamarquardt22
Veteran Member

I didnt think it was that bad. but still not my fav.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #102
darwink1
Veteran Member

uuummmmm. this isnt west by northeast coast customs here. i didnt make it for you hollywood types. would u like it a bit more if i covered it w some leopard stripe fabric? maybe pleather or something.? build a little fish tank in there somewhere lol.

man dell ur truck is way too clean, who are u trying to kid youd rather spill ur coffee? you probably make ppl take their shoes off before getting in. thats freaking hilarious man. i have to post some of my new hack job console for dell approval. its 10 times as hackish but it was still free and now i can fit a pair of shoes in the center storage bin (like id put shoes in there, what im trying to say is its big man big).

d
1969 fj40 frankenplowvan
Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #103
bayouhazard

Sometimes your hi lift won't work in sand or mud, it just diappears in the ground. I have used my air cleaner lid as a base to spread the load out. It worked in quick sand and got us out. It didn't even bend it, just wiped it off and put it back on. This may not work for those who have those newer square plastic lids though, but if you have a round lid this trick may save your ass one day, and it's completely free!!!!!
bayouhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:10 AM   #104
Philfab
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic9 View Post

anyone?
A couple ideas:

NEW! Budbuilt Clocking Adapter install (no bodylift)
My Chevy leaf swap guide
Bed trim write-up
Parking brake mod

*NOTE* I respond faster to emails than forum postings. Check my user profile for my email address. I will answer any dumb tech question you may have, just don't spam me.
Philfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 AM   #105
wradar
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2002 4WD DC Tacoma

Hey, Phil, I think that's the first time I've noticed your diamond plating. Looks pretty sweet!

Take it easy!
-Radar
2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD TRD. Grey wire mod, Donahoe Extended-travel Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, OME Dakar Leaf Springs, Donahoe Rear-reservoir Shocks, Goodrich front & rear brake lines, Tundra front brakes, ARB bull bar, IPF 968cs driving lights, Delta bed box, Warn M8000 winch, Demello rock crusher sliders, Safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, Viair constant duty compressor & tank kit, Demello hybrid rear bumper, CS-144 alternator, lots of other goodies.

My other ride hovers.
wradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 AM   #106
darwink1
Veteran Member

hey dell, another hack job for ya hahaha. and its all dirty too.

it does what its supposed to do and doesnt wiggle around and feel all flimsy like the oe one did. the box is removeable and my wet okole cover fit the lid over some padding. still have to do some "refining" and polishing and add a quick release clamp to the rear to keep the box from flying in an accident.

it cost me 0$, it looks like it, and im proud.
1969 fj40 frankenplowvan
Old 11-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #107
Switch

Here are a couple of things I have not seen posted before:

1) Removed FM Antenna and replaced with a hidden antenna:

2) DC power outlets in bed (also the little piece of carpet in the cubby keeps the dust out.

3) Durarib mats in bed and on tailgate, attached with industrial Velcro stuck to tailgate. Also note the weather stripping in two locations to keep the dust out.

4) I already had these Big Agnes Dual sleeping pads for backpacking, they fit like a glove. Oh and the plywood platform is a great place to put clothes etc when sleeping in back. That is also where the laptop goes for watching movies on long cold winter nights:

5) This last one isn't really a mod but it works so dam well and keeps everything tidy. I use ammo cans to store food and camping supplies.
The ammo cans fit very snug three across:

You can fit the lids across two ammo cans to make a table for the stove. Ammo cans also deter critters.

CA4WDC #11593

*****Don't believe everything you think*****

Last edited by Switch; 09-13-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:17 AM   #108
adkfreeridex
Veteran Member

not super uncommon, but my door key open alarm, i removed it and can't be happier.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:45 AM   #109
Hilux Surf Limited

NICE DIAMOND PLATING x 2
1998 Hilux Surf Limited, 2.7L 3RZ-FE Auto, Nitto Terra Grappler P265/70R17 on 17x8 Enkei RT-6 wheels, IPF PRESPEED exaust system (made by IPF who makes offroad lighting), Custom ISR / Intake, Optima red top with custom holder/tray, Raybrig fogs/driving lights, OEM bullbar with huge toyota fogs, Rear spoiler with electric back up mirror, OEM window rain gaurds, NGK wires, Denso Iridium plugs, and....
Hilux Surf Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #110
hossmaster
MASTICATOR

I use those yellow velcro network cable straps to hold my shovel to my roof rack and my axe to the bed bar. Works great and were free.

"we had us some fun"

"Blue Water Inn, We Got Pyramids!!!"
hossmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #111
jamarquardt22
Veteran Member

since its getting cold here. when I wheel in winter I take a propane torch. to thaw my hubs, valve caps, e-brake, brakes in general. and whatever else gets frozen inplace.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #112
bunchr1
Veteran Member

speaking of cold.... back when I had my 76 FJ40, during winter months me and my brother-in-law (he had a 73), and my roommate (also had a 73) all put pizza-box cardboard in front of the radiator. It never over-heated, but lemme tell you, it'd get the heaters rockin'!! It was the best thing I done for the cold (short of installing a factory rear-heater)...

1992 4Runner V6 Auto Daily Driver...

1987 Toyota Pickup. 22R, 5speed, TwinStick'd 4.7's, F/R Lockers, 1.5" BJ Spacers, 32x11.50's, Warn winch w/indash controls, Mazda 626 buckets w/FJ40 console, sliders and skids.. ect. SOLD!!!

"It's a rock... Get over it!"-Terry M.
"Half of life is fucking up the other half is dealing with it."-Henry Rollins

Myspace
bunchr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:56 AM   #113
jamarquardt22
Veteran Member

I used to do that on a prelude I had the T-stat was stuck open so Id block 2/3 of the radiator in the winter.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:52 AM   #114
Airborne11B

Maybe not too uncommon but it's cheap is the simple Rain-X stuff you spray on your windows. Especially useful in the southern states that have lots of rain. Over 20 or 30MPH and I could drive without wipers in even the worst downpour.
Airborne11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:49 AM   #115
ah64id
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne11B View Post
Maybe not too uncommon but it's cheap is the simple Rain-X stuff you spray on your windows. Especially useful in the southern states that have lots of rain. Over 20 or 30MPH and I could drive without wipers in even the worst downpour.
I swear by that stuff.. I am trying to get them to put in on the windshield of our helicopters.. cant see crap in the rain... and the wipers make it worse...

'03 SR5 4Runner, V6 4WD. 1" cornfed

“Speed doesn’t kill, its the sudden stop that hurts.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavegold View Post
Diesel is like a sore dick, you just can't beat it
ah64id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #116
Monoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah64id View Post
I swear by that stuff.. I am trying to get them to put in on the windshield of our helicopters.. cant see crap in the rain... and the wipers make it worse...
X2 on the Rain-Ex, love that stuff.....hardly use my wipers at all & the windshield stays cleaner alot longer too....

2003 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4X4

2" lift W/2.0 Swayaways (front) - Alcan springs & 1500 Billies (rear) SnugTop Shell, Hella's, BFG AT's, Grille guard, Painless fuse block, lots of other Minor mods

My truck in 3D
Monoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #117
kapena

it's probably been mentioned but on-board air is something i can't live without anymore. and besides a rear locker, it would be the first thing i do to a new truck. mv-1050!!!
kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #118
jamarquardt22
Veteran Member

are you useing anything for a pressure switch. Ive got the same compressor.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #119
ah64id
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapena View Post
it's probably been mentioned but on-board air is something i can't live without anymore. and besides a rear locker, it would be the first thing i do to a new truck. mv-1050!!!
Definatly... I have a ViAir 450 underhood on my taco.. which my dad is buying.. but said he will buy me another 450 to put in my diesel.. great for fixing tires, airing up airbags.. etc..

In fact I used my OBA last night to top off tires and level the truck at a gas station while the wife fed the baby.. middle of a 500 mile road trip.

'03 SR5 4Runner, V6 4WD. 1" cornfed

“Speed doesn’t kill, its the sudden stop that hurts.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavegold View Post
Diesel is like a sore dick, you just can't beat it
ah64id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #120
Airborne11B

ah64id: The other day we were pushing through a little village on foot where we came into contact and battalion finally got us some support and pushed a couple of AH's over to us. You wouldn't know how much peace of mind you guys give us when you're orbitting overhead. If I ever get the chance to meet you I'll buy you a beer
Airborne11B is offline   Reply With Quote