1998 2.7 automatic - Mystery Oil Leak. - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Early Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Bigbobmegadeth

Send a message via AIM to Bigbobmegadeth
Default 1998 2.7 automatic - Mystery Oil Leak.

I own a 95 1/2, 4x4, 5 speed, 2.7L taco. I'm looking at a 98 4runner for my GF that has the same engine but its auto, 2 wheel drive. It has 186K and runs well, the only problem is an oil leak that is on the passenger side of the block that you can only see from underneath. The origin looks to be somewhere near the oil filter but the oil filter itself is not wet. It might be the oil pan gasket but it appears to be wet a little above that, possibly the head gasket? I hope it isn't the head gasket. I don't believe it is the rear main seal either since most of the oil is located on the passenger SIDE of the block and the bell housing of the trans is not particularly wet. The steering rack and bash plate are wet and so are the steel trans lines that are above that, there is even a drip coming from the trans lines but I am 100% positive it is NOT trans fluid, it is definitely engine oil. Is this some "notorious 2.7 leak" that I don't know about? I searched ttora and yotatech and have not found anything. Any ideas would be very very helpful.

PS. Anyone in SoCal need some fab work done? Bumpers, sliders, cage, ect?
Bigbobmegadeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
Sleepercivic

I just fixed that mystery leak about 6 months ago. I do not have the part number, but here is my best description. Where your oil filter is attached that "neck" can be unbolted from the block (If I remember correctly 2 bolts). When you remove that from the block, there is a oring sandwiched between the neck and the block. Replace that and no more leak.
At the time I was installing and LC header so I had to remove the exhaust manifold. Access was easy to the 2 bolts. I have basic tools here at home so I'm not sure if there is some fancy extension that would allow you to reach those bots without taking the exhaust manifold off.
I believe the seal/oring was about $5

I lived with that leak for a year trying to figure it out. The easiest way for you to find the part is go to your local Toyota dealer and explain what you are looking for and they'll pop it up right on their screen, that's how I found it.

I hope this all made sense LOL
Rich

BTW I'll trade that info for sliders
6" Fabtech - 1.5" AOR Shackles - 315-75-16 Procomp Xtreme - 16x8 Eagle Wheels - Warn Hubs - 4:88's - LC Header - K&N FIPK 2 - Detroit locker - All Pro Rear Bumper

Last edited by Sleepercivic; 11-04-2007 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added comment
Sleepercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Sleepercivic

Feel free to email me for my number in case my description didn't make sense.
Rich
sleepercivic@aol.com
6" Fabtech - 1.5" AOR Shackles - 315-75-16 Procomp Xtreme - 16x8 Eagle Wheels - Warn Hubs - 4:88's - LC Header - K&N FIPK 2 - Detroit locker - All Pro Rear Bumper
Sleepercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
Bigbobmegadeth

Send a message via AIM to Bigbobmegadeth

Thank you soooo much, and after looking at my own truck I can see that it is also slightly wet right there. I will save your email address in case I got any other questions, but yes your description is excellent. I'm willing to bet I will have a tough time reaching the bolts since I will have an exhaust manifold AND trans lines to deal with but I would work on a 2.7 any day over a 3.0.

95 taco
89 flatbed crawler
Bigbobmegadeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
OwnerO'Cleavis

Wink Old Bones

I know this thread is old news and I know how to search. With that said, does anyone have the part # for the o ring that seals the oil filter bracket as described in this thread which I found while searching? Thanks for any help and to all the honorary "TTORA TRY SEARCHING OFFICERS" thanks for not hasseling me over this post